LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2014, 02:56 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Thinking on it your right, although I havent seen it would 'The Artist' now be the last B&W to win the Oscar?
You're right, but we played this game before The Artist was released!

From Wikipedia:

It was nominated for ten Academy Awards and won five, including Best Picture for Langmann, Best Director for Hazanavicius, and Best Actor for Dujardin, making him the first French actor ever to win for Best Actor. It was also the first French film to ever win Best Picture, and the first mainly silent film to win since 1927's Wings won at the 1st Academy Awards in 1929. It was also the first film presented in the 4:3 aspect ratio to win since 1953's From Here to Eternity. Additionally, it was the first black-and-white film to win since 1993's Schindler's List, though that film contained limited colour sequences; it was the first 100% black-and-white film to win since 1960's The Apartment.
keirarts and JoshuaKaitlyn like this.
Old 12th October 2014, 03:33 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Dead Scared AKA: The Hazing (2004)

I was curious to check this one out when I saw it on Dem's Top 100 horror films of all time list for the upcoming Cult Labs Members' Top 100 Horror Films community list. As you all know Dem has eclectic taste when it comes to horror; the gothic, gialli, genre classics, and straight to video cheapies all adorn his favourites and with me being always on the lookout for new stuff to watch; my mentality being I'm pretty much game for anything cinema wants to throw at me, this film posed an interesting opportunity.

Despite being curious, I was also wary. Early 2000s US teen horrors (especially ones I had never heard of least of all seen) didn't usually factor very well within my cynical, jaded (albeit open minded) perspective on modern US horror cinema. I therefore adjusted my expectations accordingly and with trembling hands and a lump in my throat inserted the disc into my player and mentally prepared to sharpen my pitchfork to pierce Dem's pale, supple man-flesh.

The intro hooked me immediately as a crazed professor and his collection of ritual artifacts brains one of his students with a staff (incidentally one I'd love hanging on my wall - the staff I mean, not the student although I'm not fussy). The subsequent ten minutes during a sorority hazing and a group of annoying teens scoring insult points off of one another saw fervent mental pitchfork sharpening, however once the film gets going and the establishment of which horror caricature each member of the 'pretty' cast is, the film sets off in its stride and despite being nothing fantastically original is a highly entertaining tale of possession by the hospital bed bound professor astrally projecting his revenge on the teens who took his book of incantations and left him for dead whilst on a scavenger hunt to get into their sorority of choice. The teens are then trapped with the professor's spirit in a 'haunted' house on Halloween.

There is a fair amount of nudity too (it's easy to see why Dem likes this film so much now ) and some nice demon possession effects with a strong vein of cheddar to all the proceedings, where nothing is taken too seriously by the cast in as much you can enjoy the ride with them, rather than at their expense - the latter being quite often the case with a lot of these sort of films unfortunately, which makes this film all the more refreshing in that respect.

Overall, I was mildly surprised with what was on offer here and sat back and enjoyed the ride right up to the predictable lame pre-ending and then the less lame more fun kind of ending.

Another stellar recommendation from our resident raven.
Old 12th October 2014, 03:39 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I was also intrigued by this title,, so another recommendation is all I need to buy or rent it forthwith – thanks both!
Old 12th October 2014, 06:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

I was curious to check this one out when I saw it on Dem's Top 100 horror films of all time list for the upcoming Cult Labs Members' Top 100 Horror Films community list. As you all know Dem has eclectic taste when it comes to horror; the gothic, gialli, genre classics, and straight to video cheapies all adorn his favourites and with me being always on the lookout for new stuff to watch; my mentality being I'm pretty much game for anything cinema wants to throw at me, this film posed an interesting opportunity.

Despite being curious, I was also wary. Early 2000s US teen horrors (especially ones I had never heard of least of all seen) didn't usually factor very well within my cynical, jaded (albeit open minded) perspective on modern US horror cinema. I therefore adjusted my expectations accordingly and with trembling hands and a lump in my throat inserted the disc into my player and mentally prepared to sharpen my pitchfork to pierce Dem's pale, supple man-flesh.

The intro hooked me immediately as a crazed professor and his collection of ritual artifacts brains one of his students with a staff (incidentally one I'd love hanging on my wall - the staff I mean, not the student although I'm not fussy). The subsequent ten minutes during a sorority hazing and a group of annoying teens scoring insult points off of one another saw fervent mental pitchfork sharpening, however once the film gets going and the establishment of which horror caricature each member of the 'pretty' cast is, the film sets off in its stride and despite being nothing fantastically original is a highly entertaining tale of possession by the hospital bed bound professor astrally projecting his revenge on the teens who took his book of incantations and left him for dead whilst on a scavenger hunt to get into their sorority of choice. The teens are then trapped with the professor's spirit in a 'haunted' house on Halloween.

There is a fair amount of nudity too (it's easy to see why Dem likes this film so much now ) and some nice demon possession effects with a strong vein of cheddar to all the proceedings, where nothing is taken too seriously by the cast in as much you can enjoy the ride with them, rather than at their expense - the latter being quite often the case with a lot of these sort of films unfortunately, which makes this film all the more refreshing in that respect.

Overall, I was mildly surprised with what was on offer here and sat back and enjoyed the ride right up to the predictable lame pre-ending and then the less lame more fun kind of ending.

Sounds good will have to have a look at this one.

The exorcist

Even after all these years it still has the power to shock. Well acted with interesting and likable charcters. Still one of the finest if not the best film about possession. The image of father merrin standing outside the house is one of many fantastic scenes in this movie and one of the most well knowing scenes in horror. Simple but oh so effective. A true classic 10/10

Abominable

We have Matt McCoy who ends up going back to where his wife died as part of his therapy. Not long after a group of young women arrive at the cabin next door. We also find out about the legend of a Bigfoot type monster. Said monster goes about killing the young women so a this point the film turns into a slasher with big foot as the killer. We had some interesting kills especially the one were Bigfoot gets nearly the whole head of one very annoying victim in his mouth and takes a bite. also have genre legends Lance henriksen and Jeffery Combs who are sadly underused. Not what I was expecting but a lot better than some Bigfoot movies. 7.5/10

Depending on time tonight's viewings are tragic ceremony, exorcist 2 and deathline

Last edited by trebor8273; 12th October 2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12th October 2014, 06:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Recently watched Only God Forgives. Thoughts:

*walks from right of frame to left of frame*
*pause*
*stares*
*pause*
*pause*
*stares*
*blinks*
*pause*
*stares*
*pause*
*nods*

Polarising and divisive it seems but mesmerically brilliant with violence as art. Love it
Old 12th October 2014, 06:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Great review B_E.

Glad you enjoyed it. Although i'm a little worried about you wanting to pierce my pale, supple man-flesh.
Old 12th October 2014, 07:19 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Great review B_E.

Glad you enjoyed it. Although i'm a little worried about you wanting to pierce my pale, supple man-flesh.
Don't be scared, Dem. You managed to avoid the piercing... at least this time.
Old 12th October 2014, 07:54 PM
Cult Addict

THE MOTH DIARIES. Having recently discovering that Dem is in fact a masturbating 14 year old boy on another thread, I have also discovered that he is also an angst ridden 16 year old girl based on this film and his recommendation of it. This is a goth lite affair that passes the time easily enough but is lacking in something I can't quite put my finger on. Worth a look as an alternative to TWILIGHT and it's clones.

THE WATCH. Piss poor comedy/alien invasion film. Packed with knobs jokes, something I normally find endlessly funny but this left me laughter free. I would like to think this reflects a new found sophistication within me but on reflection it is just a poor film with poor knob jokes.

BATMAN UNDER THE RED HOOD. Fairly brutal animated film that sees Bats face up to his own past and it's repercussions in the present. Excellent stuff and recommended.

ALMOST HUMAN. Excellent backwoods alien invasion film that really is something quite special. Grungy and dank in look and mood, this is well worth a look. Recommended.
Old 12th October 2014, 07:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post

La Dolce Vita - I've seen a few Fellini movies in my wander down cinematic history and as yet to find one that I actually like. This sad to say joins the other that I've seen. Classic though it may be it failed to hold my attention and I ended up splitting the picture into two sittings.
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to add you to my ignore list for this statement. (Kidding of course) That's one of the many reasons why I love film. It's so subjective. What might resonate with me may have no effect on the next person.
Old 12th October 2014, 08:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx_Barkman View Post
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to add you to my ignore list for this statement. (Kidding of course) That's one of the many reasons why I love film. It's so subjective. What might resonate with me may have no effect on the next person.
I can see his genius but for some reason I can't seem to appreciate it!

Like this? Share it using the links below!