Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2014, 09:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Exorcist 2

Not hard too see why this gets such bad press, it has some dreadful overactng the scene with the girl who talks again is a fine example, Burton seems to be sleepwalking through most of the movie and add to that some Poor dialogue, a poor script at times and a dreadful and stupid last act. If you compare it to the original it fails miserably.

But it's not all bad Louise fletcher is good as always and enjoyed the flashback scenes with father merrin in Africa. Dispite all it's bad points I actually enjoyed it for what it was, a cheap cash in on the original. There are far worse movies out there. 6.5/10
Old 12th October 2014, 09:09 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Exorcist 2

Not hard too see why this gets such bad press, it has some dreadful overactng the scene with the girl who talks again is a fine example, Burton seems to be sleepwalking through most of the movie and add to that some Poor dialogue, a laughable script at times and dreadful and stupid last act. If you compare it to the original it fails miserably.

But it's not all bad Louise fletcher is good as always and enjoyed the flashback scenes with father merrin in Africa. Dispite all it's bad points I actually enjoyed it for what it was, a cheap cash in on the original. 6.5/10
My biggest problem with the film is how the hell did they keep that dove coop so clean, shiny and shit free!
Old 12th October 2014, 09:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The Chameleon - a dramatic re-telling of the same story covered in the recent(ish) documentary called 'The Imposter' (seemingly with a few artistic liberties taken). If you have seen neither film, I would strongly suggest seeking out 'The Imposter' first but 'The Chameleon' is a well made and acted account of what is a fascinating tale. If you see it cheap (I got my copy from Poundland), this is worth a look.

Two Evil Eyes - first time I have watched this in a long time but my opinion is pretty much the same ... Romero's segment is woefully overlong (like an extended episode of 'Tales from the Crypt') and Argento's 'The Black Cat' is a mess, despite some nice visual touches and a decent performance from Harvey Keitel. Overall, palatable enough but I can see myself leaving it equally as long before watching it again.
Old 12th October 2014, 10:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Haunting of Bates Motel. (2013)

A film with a fairly original storyline that utilizes the location of The original Bates Motel and Haunted Hayride Halloween visitor attraction. A scary theme park which opens just during October for the Halloween season.

The film is well acted for a low budget movie and features some classic horror kills such as death by combine harvester, death by band saw etc. Unfortunately the film lacks blood. I seem to be going through a few of these recently. Well made low budget films that forget to add the gory reasons we we watch these films for. Madison County is another example of this. Perhaps the film makers blew all the budget filming at the Hayride attraction rather than on visual effects.

Should anyone be visiting Pennsylvania in the next couple of weeks then the Haunted Hayride looks a hell of a place to spend your Halloween. However the film itself is not bad but hardly essential viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91XGbKEK7XL._SL1500_.jpg (98.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 13th October 2014, 10:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

THE GHOST WALKS (1934)

A car carrying a stage producer and a playwright get stranded in a storm and a forced to take refuge in a old house. One of the women in the house has contact with her dead husband and the spirits and says that her husband's murderer is one of the group in the house. It's all a sham, a ploy by the playwright to set up his play 'The Ghost Walks'. Trouble is now, guests are starting to disappear and there is a real maniac on the loose.....

Fun poverty row murder mystery. Crashing thunderstorms, eyes moving in pictures, lots of screaming....
Played mostly for laugh's and clocking in at an hour in length, this films perfect for a rainy afternoon's viewing.
Old 13th October 2014, 11:05 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)

I was really looking forward to seeing Monte Hellman's existential masterpiece of a road movie. I love road movies. From Easy Rider, Vanishing Point, The Straight Story, through comedies such as Road Trip to Plains Trains and Automobiles.

Universal's answer to Easy Rider just doesn't come close to matching that film's nihilistic view of the late sixties. Although occasionally arresting the film is, on the whole, interminably boring. Minutes go past without a word uttered, the nameless characters just drive through the American backwaters, catching up with a young girl drifter and Warren Oates in his bright yellow GTO for tedious, unexciting, and worse still uninvolving race sequences.

Perhaps i wasn't in the right frame of mind for Two Lane Blacktop after just seeing the Aronofsky masterpiece that is Black Swan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twolane2.jpg (73.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 13th October 2014, 11:36 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)

I was really looking forward to seeing Monte Hellman's existential masterpiece of a road movie. I love road movies. From Easy Rider, Vanishing Point, The Straight Story, through comedies such as Road Trip to Plains Trains and Automobiles.

Universal's answer to Easy Rider just doesn't come close to matching that film's nihilistic view of the late sixties. Although occasionally arresting the film is, on the whole, interminably boring. Minutes go past without a word uttered, the nameless characters just drive through the American backwaters, catching up with a young girl drifter and Warren Oates in his bright yellow GTO for tedious, unexciting, and worse still uninvolving race sequences.

Perhaps i wasn't in the right frame of mind for Two Lane Blacktop after just seeing the Aronofsky masterpiece that is Black Swan.
Wasn't your frame of mind Dem, it's just a borefest of a film with no redeeming qualities. I mean it wasn't like it even had beautiful cinematography or artistic merit to assure its cult status, yet somehow it has it.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 13th October 2014, 11:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The Funhouse - Tobe Hooper
I had no idea this film was by Tobe Hooper to be honest, i enjoyed the trailer and thought i'd give it a shot. The film feels short and has a bunch of plot holes that leaves room for some serious improvement. apparently Eli Roth is planning a remake? i'm not sure this film needs one.

The creature is well acted and the claustrophobic set is enough to keep you from pulling the film and sticking i on the 'trade's thread'. Worth a watch if your stuck for anything else.

The town that dreaded sundown -(youtube, 1976 version)
I saw this film cover over in the VHS thread and thought it looked good. It's currently on youtube which is a bonus as the vhs/Blu Ray set's are a little expensive to get in the UK. The film is a contender for a serous horror movie based on a real event however it has the strangest moments of slapstick comedy? ? ? it's so strange to see the two styles together? so one moment we see a murder based on factual event's from real police evidence then the next moment we have a police officer called 'Spark Plug' driving the chief of police and a Texas ranger past a crime scene, up a ramp and into a small lake? it's almost surreal?

anyway give this movie a watch if you enjoy crime stories then maybe head over to good old reliable Wikipedia to get some facts about the real crimes as a companion to the film. Very interesting and possible worth a re watch in the future.
Old 13th October 2014, 12:38 PM
Cult Addict

I sat and watched Funhouse last night too, only seen it once before and wasn't that impressed so thought i'd give it another shot.
On the plus side i liked the opening with it's shades of the Halloween intro and Psycho shower scene, and i always love it when you have some horror obsessed kids bedroom with his figure and mask collection (ie Salems lot and friday 13th part 4.),oh and boobs too,so good start in my opinion.

Liked the fairground setting and freakshow scenes, which i always find a good setting for horror. The funhouse itself is well realised atmospheric and interestingly lit but then i think hooper stumbles with his characters, the family are non entities with the only one really making an impact is the creature who has nice make up, but a bad hairdo that kinda spoils the effect and had me thinking of zelda from terrahawks.!?

The victims wandering about was a bit scooby doo, and they seem content to do pretty much nothing while waiting to be killed, although i did like the kid who sneaked out and is very aware of his sisters predicament, the scene where the girl is calling to her parents but they can't hear was good i thought.

The family bickering is sub-par Texas Chainsaw and pretty dull, the kills are unspectacular and seem far too restrained, but i did like the lighting of the scene in the air duct,tunnel with the fan throwing shadows as the creature approaches.
So all in all a mixed bag, like Vipp says worth keeping but it's never gonna be a favourite.
6/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 13th October 2014, 05:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Are you there?

Dear god in heaven this has to be one of the worst piles of shite I have seen in a long time. Dreadful acting, poor script, direction and camerawork. Charcters with the personality of a plank of wood and as scary as a episode of scooby doo. 2.5/10

Death line

A hidden gem. About people being taking on the London underground by a Cannibal. Very unnerving and disturbing with some good acting. The real highlight here is Donald Pleasence wondeful character inspector "get a hair cut" Calhoun, every scene with him is a joy to watch. Nether have the words " mind the doors" been so unnerving . 9/10

Tonight's viewings the exorcist 3 and shivers

Last edited by trebor8273; 13th October 2014 at 05:45 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!