Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179681Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2013, 04:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Just watched Un Chien Andalou again. 16 minutes weirdness! brilliant!
Shudder...

Old 7th September 2013, 04:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Shudder...

Yep, that's the opening scene! It's cut between a razor shaped cloud "slicing" through the moon.

I believe it was an actual sheeps eye they cut through.
Susan Foreman and troggi like this.
Old 7th September 2013, 05:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Not a film, but All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cuts, a very good 30min documentary found on the big Blade Runner special editions, exploring how the Final Cut project took shape and the work that went into restoring the film to what I think is the best version of Ridley Scott's finest film. I'm one of those people who think films are overburdened by too much CG fakery, but a section of the documentary detailing how Joanna Cassidy's face was grafted seamlessly onto a very obvious stunt person (Blade Runner fans will know this scene) was quite remarkable...
ArgentoFan1987 and troggi like this.
Old 7th September 2013, 06:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Black Sabbath

I thought The Telephone was the weakest of the 3 stories but it was still good. The best story was Drop Of Water the atmosphere in that story had me on the edge of my seat.

A very good film and my 1st Bava film I've watched
Old 7th September 2013, 07:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The Man Who Fell to Earth

David Bowie plays an earth stranded alien, whose superior intelligence enables him to develop a pioneering technological company worth billions and turn it into a space program that would enable him to return to his drought ridden home planet and save his dying family - but not before succumbing to earthly temptations. Of course Bowie's ethereal qualities are perfectly suited; his introverted sulkiness, skinny frame, soft British accent, pale skin, fiery red locks and rock star dress sense already in stark contrast to his wholesome American hosts, and that's before he pulls his lenses out.

It's the story of Icarus of course, Bruegel's Landscape with the Fall of Icarus is shown to ram that home, but Roeg's adaptation of Walter Tevis' 1963 novel of the same name is both ponderous and full of curious pratfalls - a presumably deliberate attempt to disorientate and bewilder us as much as our disconnected protagonist. Characters age quickly with barely an edit to warn us and the film frequently changes course throughout its 2hr 20 runtime, as does the soundtrack - a sensory overload epitomising our protagonist's apparent ability to absorb huge amounts of information at once (he's often watching a stack of televisions set to different channels.)

Roeg is fascinated by communication, and the characters here frequently talk in circles with Bowie's sulky alien refusing to initially communicate with anyone other than his patent lawyer, until this frosty alien heart is somewhat melted by a maid. Roeg is ever liberal with the sex; a protracted fumble recalls Don't Look Now set against a backdrop of loss. Additionally both male characters seem to share a psychic ability.

Sublime cinematography from Anthony Richmond (Don't Look Now) as expected.
Old 7th September 2013, 08:13 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
The Man Who Fell to Earth
I watched this before reading the book and thought it was brilliant. After reading the novel, I thought it was even better!
Wes and troggi like this.
Old 7th September 2013, 09:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I watched The Bay on bluray this afternoon then went out for a bite to eat and a visit to the cinema. One of the disadvantages of living here in Germany without a full grasp of the language is that you are really at the mercy of the local cinema programmer. We get a single film in Originalfassung most weeks and usually its a mainstream Hollywood production. This week it was White House Down which is not a film I would normally choose for myself. But at the beginning of the year I decided I would go and see whatever they programmed. So quarter to eight found me settling into my seat in the expectation that I would be disappointed. However I couldn't have been more wrong. It was absolutely fantastic. It is a big dumb action film, but a good one - and the fact that I am so positive is all the more surprising as I haven't liked a single frame of the directors earlier efforts. I guess 9 out of 10 times my worst fears are confirmed but the 1 out of 10 goes some way to compensate. Recommended.
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 7th September 2013, 09:43 PM
Cult Master

Scre4m - generic slasher

'Entertaining opening sequence'

But blimey - Neve Campbell is looking old!!!!!!
troggi likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 7th September 2013, 09:48 PM
Cultist

I watched Fade to Black for the first time ever tonight and I must say it was a great movie! A dark horror/thriller about a 20-something movie fanatic who snaps and starts living out the more gruesome moments of his favourite films as he exacts revenge on those who have wronged him. He also gets the horn for a beautiful Marilyn Monroe lookalike who will soon regret looking so god damn amazing! Great film with a magnificent central performance and a story us movie fanatics can relate to in some way xo

Now settling down to watch Children of the Corn for the first time in over a decade. I finally picked it up on DVD recently, but that's no excuse as I've owned it on VHS forever!
Old 7th September 2013, 09:49 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Scre4m - generic slasher

'Entertaining opening sequence'

But blimey - Neve Campbell is looking old!!!!!!
I went to see that in the cinema and quickly regretted it! Everyone else was gushing about it though. I'll have to rewatch it sometime but I'm in no rush!
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!