Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2014, 09:52 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

FIGHT CHURCH. A documentary on Christian mixed martial artists! I really enjoyed this look at the rise of kick arse pastors in the USA who use the cage to spread the word of God. All come across as genuine and sincere in their beliefs both as fighters and Christians. However there is another documentary to be made from this following the life of one gun slinging pastor who believes the church has become girly and only through violence in every day life can we have a better world! Rather tellingly his church doesn't use the normal cross but the equal armed T cross beloved of the American uber far right.

WE ARE THE BEST! F*ck yeah, a film that lives up to it's title. Slim on plot, this is a fantastic character study of three 13 year old girls who form a punk band in the early 80s. Ditching all the politics of marginalisation and social commentary that usually swallow up most films about punk, this concentrations on friendship and belonging. Charming, funny and awkward, director Lukas Moodysson's film really resonated with me as I was a thirteen year old punk in the early 80s, something that has stayed with me and shaped my life ever since. Highly recommended.

Old 16th October 2014, 11:06 PM
Active Cultist

Wolfcop - Just finished watching this film, I saw the trailer a few months ago and was intrigued as it looked really good. Now maybe the film isn't quite as good as I hoped but that does not mean it's a failure. The acting in most parts was fine a lot of the special effects worked (a couple didn't). There was a story nothing to complicated and a little twist at the end again nothing hard core just nice and easy going. I wish there was More time spent with him as Wolfcop, but at the same time his make up was pretty poor. I think this film will gain a cult following, and I hope the sequel that was promised at the end was true too.
Old 17th October 2014, 12:29 AM
Cult Addict

Ok i keep not getting round to posting here because i tend to go on a bit, but here are a few brief ( hopefully) reviews of what i've watched lately.

Dracula vs frankenstein.

I know a lot of people seen to think of this as a nadir of cult films, but i sort of enjoyed it. Bad acting and pacing and just about everything else,
I've re- named it 'Frankensteins beehive vs dracula's afro' in reference to Dracula's bizarre haircut vs frankensteins bee stung face.
Old Frankie is truly looking worse for wear in this.
Lon chaney jr wanders about looking like he's no idea what's going on, killing with an axe half the time and stroking a puppy the rest of it.
Twin peaks and the Hauntings Dr Jacobi turns up as a random biker, Geydon Clarke director of the dodgy horror spoof 'wacko' is one of the other lead players and J'Carrol Nash plays a dodgy scientist.
Add to this some woman who has an instant trip after she's slipped some drug, in one of the more enjoyable moments.
Also Dracula seems to talk through some weird distortion valve, and is probably one of the most pathetic versions of the count this side of 'whatever happened to count dracula'.
I know Ron seems to like this film and i'm with him, despite all the stupidity on offer i kinda enjoyed it, it has that feeling of being made by a monster obsessed 12 year old,and because i was that kid i liked it.
Forest j Ackerman turns up too because he was also that kinda kid.
Not recommended to anyone possessed of a sane state of mind, but if you like the old universal monster mashes you might just tune in to the insanity on offer here and enjoy yourself, obviously beer is recommended!
6/10

King Kong Lives

Another really bad film by any sane persons standards, but one which i enjoyed.
King Kong survives DinoDilaurentis and is revived from a coma via a heart transplant and the blood of a newly discovered female kong.
Cue an adventurer who seems like a shit kurt russell, add terminators Sarah conner, a plot that makes absolutely no sense and some prick with a tank,and what do we get?
Well a bad film, but to me b movie gold.
Mrs kong shows up with sexy ginger hair and droopy ape tits and thats it,Kong's hot for it.
They escape to a forest somewhere for a bit of hot lovin', before being captured again. cue angst from the nice humans,leading up to a finale when kong goes apeshit and destroys loads of tanks n stuff.
What we learn from all this is that Gas that sedates giant apes will not affect minute humans in the vicinity, and that Apeshit is a phrase dating at least back to the early 80's.
Totally stupid but, another film i enjoyed.
6/10

Dead Silence

A newer film that from reviews i expected to enjoy.
Don't get me wrong i did enjoy it, up to a point.
It's basically about possessed Ventriloquist puppets and a creepy old woman who controls them.
Nice Atmosphere, creepy puppets, and quite a creepy old woman add up to make quite an enjoyable film right up to the final half hour when everything falls apart. An ending that's all over the place and doesn't satisfy, that blows the creepy premise and leaves you feeling let down.
Such a shame coz i enjoyed most of it.

6/10

A Dangerous method

A film that i kept meaning to check out, i have to admit respectable David Cronenberg doesn't do it for me like he used to.
Having said that i quite liked this, all that psycho-analytical gumf spouted by Freud etc fascinates me. and a film about Jung and Freud seems tailor made for one of Cronenberg's journeys into the psyche, but this is far too respectable to be top tier Cronenberg.
Very much a period piece with added sex and angst, but i did find it well made and acted, especially Fassbender who is a pretty interesting modern
actor i think, he always seems to give a good performance.
Kiera Knightly is a bit annoying as usual, but manages not to unbalance the pic and is better than usual in my opinion.
Many would find this incredibly dull i suspect, but if your interested in head doctors and hypothetical jibber jabber this may well float your boat.
7/10

Didn't really manage to keep the reviews short again...damn. Back to the drawing board, Maybe one of these days i'll catch that damn road runner.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 17th October 2014, 07:51 AM
Cultist

Unfortunately, I watched Leprechaun Origins last night. I really don't know what they were thinking with this one. They clearly marketed it as part of the original Leprechaun series, it even came in a box set with them in the US, yet it is just a generic american 'young people get killed by a monster' movie. Also, how the hell can they say that it is starring Hornswaggle, when all you see of him is a few glimpses of a rubber monster suit?

I know the original films are far from masterpieces, but I have always enjoyed them. Mostly thanks to Warwick as the Leprechaun, who always managed to be entertaining, even when the film was complete crap (Lep in Space?). So why they went this direction I have no idea. Hornswaggle is no Warwick Davis but he can be amusing, so I thought this had a little potential, but it was just a complete waste.
Old 17th October 2014, 10:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Santa's Slay (David Steiman, 2005)

Not a patch on the slightly similar Sint

Some dweeb and the whiny blonde from Lost battle a wrestler dressed as Santa, Robert Culp turns up to boost his pension and that's all he wrote folks.

Highly recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th October 2014, 10:21 AM
Cultist

TCM3, which I think is an under rated b movie. Shot with style - some really great shots and angles, the family are all crazy, Viggo and Foree look like they're having a blast, Leatherface walking with a brace after his accident in TCM is a nice little wink, KNB SFX, Hodder on stunts. Whats not to like.

Then I watched Arrow's TCM2 and it's as rubbish as I remembered it. The first 30 minutes are ok then the family turn up at the radio station and it falls to bits. Stretch screaming constantly for the next hour gets old quick, Hopper looks like he immediately regretted accepting the job, the guy with the metal plate is irritating as hell and you're stuck with him right up to the end way after Leatherface bites the dust, the whole thing is dull. Highlight is Savini's SFX. About the only positive thing I can mention. I have no idea why Arrow gave this the deluxe treatment, it's more than it deserves.

Watching the extras now; a very troubled production from the beginning to end. Boy does it show.
Old 17th October 2014, 11:16 AM
Seasoned Cultist

My 9 year old son and I watched 'The Goonies' tonight. Great stuff, we had a fantastic time. I was a bit too old for it when it was first released, so have not seen it before. He loved it, especially the swearing and 'dick' jokes
Mixed feelings for me, because it reminds me of doing similar with my dad, who passed away way too early. Overall though, a great night.
Old 17th October 2014, 06:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The visitor

First time viewing this and I have to say I enjoyed it more than I thought I would from the mixed reviews. Not scary or gory but it had a really bizarre and chilling atmosphere. Lots of big name stars glen ford, Shelly winters, John Huston i that really can't figure out how stars of this caliber ended up doing this film. Has to really have one of the most bizarre stories that involves aliens, a psychic girl, God, Jesus and evil. Have to say it's marmite film that I think people will either will or will not like.8/10

Tonight's viewings to that I have not seen before the curse of the Crimson cult and banshee chapter.

Last edited by trebor8273; 17th October 2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 17th October 2014, 06:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Tonight's viewings to that I have not seen before the curse of the Crimson cult and banshee chapter.
Both fine films Trebor.

I really enjoyed the brooding Banshee Chapter.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 17th October 2014, 11:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Took the opportunity to watch one of the movies on 44 Spaghetti Westerns boxset from Mill Creek:
White Comanche (1968) William Shatner takes on a dual role playing the Moon Twins. One who has taken the 'white' way and the other an Injun massiah. Filmed apparently during the hiatus between seasons of Star Trek and is one the Razzie Awards 100 most enjoyable bad films! It wasn't great but there again its a movie I would never have seen without getting the set.

Like this? Share it using the links below!