Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179652Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2013, 09:50 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Pitch Perfect - really enjoyable and funny comedy. Smartly written in the vein of Mean Girls I thought it was really enjoyable and even enjoyed the accapella arrangements of the songs. I thought it was acca-solutely acca-cellent and would make a great 'Films That Mention The Breakfast Club' double bill with Easy A. It also did nothing to lessen my on crush Anna Kendrick. Damn that Edgar Wright.

The Silent House - the original. Interesting on a technical level with it purporting to be shot in one single take (although doubtful due to digital camera storage limitations) but really not terribly engrossing or interesting. I did jump once but it was never eerie or scary enough

Blood Reaper - a Poundland purchase. One of those poorly-shot, shockingly-framed, badly-lit, absymally-acted, dismally-edited, awfully-written dull DV horror films. An absolute waste of time and the £1 I spent on it.

Skyfall - meant to go and see Argo last night but it was sold out so went for this instead. I absolutely loved it. The simplicity of plot was very welcome and the set pieces were excellent. I especially loved the opening sequence as it was refreshing to see a modern action sequences shot and edited in a manner where you can actually see what is happening and the sequence in the Shanghai lift was breathtaking. Highly recommended.
Old 14th January 2013, 09:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
No, thank you – I'm always up for another viewing challenge. I imagine you're finding it as expensive as I am as there are loads of films I haven't seen and which are easier to buy than rent.
Just a little expensive! But luckily I live in between three town centres Manchester, Ashton and Stockport and they all have second hand stores, markets or charity shops! Plus the sales are on!
Old 14th January 2013, 12:05 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Just a little expensive! But luckily I live in between three town centres Manchester, Ashton and Stockport and they all have second hand stores, markets or charity shops! Plus the sales are on!
I've done all my shopping online, either secondhand from Amazon Marketplace or brand new and reasonably cheaply from other e-tailers.
Old 14th January 2013, 12:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Pitch Perfect - really enjoyable and funny comedy. Smartly written in the vein of Mean Girls I thought it was really enjoyable and even enjoyed the accapella arrangements of the songs. I thought it was acca-solutely acca-cellent and would make a great 'Films That Mention The Breakfast Club' double bill with Easy A. It also did nothing to lessen my on crush Anna Kendrick. Damn that Edgar Wright.
It must be several weeks since I saw it at the cinema, where I thought it was extremely good and, thanks to the two commentators, a little like the Christopher Guest films (Best in Show, A Mighty Wind) whilst also looking at high school cliques in a similar way as (like you said) Mean Girls.

I have to admit that Anna Kendrick was one of the principal reasons I went to see it, but what does Edgar Wright have to do with her?
Old 14th January 2013, 12:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

She plays Scott Pilgrim's sister
Old 14th January 2013, 12:17 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
More the fact that she's going out with Edgar Wright actually
Old 14th January 2013, 12:18 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
I know, another reason why I really like that movie! Anyway, I've just Googled 'Anna Kendrick Edgar Wright' to find they are currently in a relationship, hence Paul's 'Damn that Edgar Wright' comment.
Old 14th January 2013, 12:19 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
More the fact that she's going out with Edgar Wright actually
That's what I guessed when I just found it out on Wikipedia!
Old 14th January 2013, 12:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Crank (Nevedine/Taylor). Ahem, so I felt that I should at least attempt to watch the 1st film as the sequel entranced me so much. Actually yawned within 20 minutes, but at least I now can piece it all together when I next peruse C:HV.

A Bay Of Blood. This never disappoints. Haven't got it?? Get it cough cough.

Oh, and I watched Django Unchained. Enjoyed it more than his WWII film, and it was fun playing "spot the old actor", but why people laud him I can only put down to laziness, of course as a D'amato fan I'm used to people laughing at my opinions

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 14th January 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 14th January 2013, 03:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Berberian Sound Studio (2012)

Before i start, i had not read any other comments on this thread before viewing to avoid spoilers.

A stunningly simple yet highly effective piece of film making from director Peter Strickland. BBS is a horror film without gore, without swearing, without a single murder, yet proves to be one of the best films i have seen in a very long time. Its Strickland's use of sound which is so simple yet almost revolutionary. The effects created by the dubbing artists are at once brilliant and frightening, set for the most in a single room - the sound studio of the title, i'm not sure how Strickland has pulled this off. His cast headed by Toby Jones are all excellent and make the whole scenario completely believable.

And then we get to the hour mark..... and the reason i watched this film two and a half times in one sitting, not going to bed till 4am.

Strickland turns the whole thing on its head. Doubts grew in me as to whether Jones actually went to the studio in the first place. If he did what happened to him? Does he have a nervous breakdown? or has Strickland done a Pulp Fiction and not shown the films scenes in order?

I'm not ashamed to say, i don't actually know, and thats why the film is so damn brilliant. Strickland's commentary track which i listened to one and a half times is infuriatingly ambiguous, he gives nothing away whatsoever leaving the viewer to make up their own mind as to what they are watching. The fact we see scenes of Jones previous work as a sound artist completely throws things up in the air, as does the fact the cast, Jones included all suddenly speak Italian and the film is totally subtitled from then on. I smiled when Jones began talking in Italian as it made me think "Typical Italian film, the soundtrack's all over the place" which, when you listen to the commentary, is exactly what the director wanted to achieve.

Berberian Sound Studio is a film that is still whirling around my head at 4.30 an afternoon later.

Is it the best film of 2012?

No, that honour goes to The Equestrian Vortex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-Bernerian-Sound-Studio-poster.jpg (97.5 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!