Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched....... The Quiet Ones. more period "horror" fae Hammer I see. Slade on the ST being the scariest thing about it....

Resident Evil: Extinction.
What tripe, gave up on it when it came out during the bird attack, saw twas on 5, so thought i'l give it another chance...more fool me.

The Human Race (Paul Hough, 2013)
Would have made a better short film. A lot shorter in fact

Frankensteins Army (Richard Raaphorst, 2013) E One UK dvd.
What utter shit. I am sick of being talked down to by lazy directors. Quite frankly, I have had it with half baked drivel being presented as horror. A smidgen of originality is not much to ask, not just the same auld piffle......sorry still ranting about RE:E

Ahem.
This on the other hand was just not "quite there" for me, reminding me of a game in structure really, and why why why use the FF format? Historically anachronistic or what? Some lukewarm designs made up for the rather rushed feel of the whole film, nice to see Karl Roden in something as it was.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 2nd June 2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 2nd June 2014, 01:22 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

It's been a fair while since my last mass update to the extent that the below films were all watched in March (from the 20th onwards), the majority of which were part of my mini Cushing marathon.

Now, I just need to get around to posting an update in reference to April and May...

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 2nd June 2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 2nd June 2014, 02:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Oculus - 1.5/5

More hyped, overrated mainstream horror boredom, so tired of this.
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd June 2014, 02:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Mean Streets - 1973

Great 70's flick featuring powerhouse performances from Robert DeNiro and Harvey Keitel. New York has never looked so unattractive on screen. Nice to see future 'Sopranos actor David Proval deliver a fine performance also. A great directorial debut from the very talented Martin Scorsese. I loved it

Tourist Trap

Didn't really do much for me. Almost identical to Tobe Hooper's TCM and maybe that's why I came away feeling like I had seen it done before, and in a better movie it has to be said. Texas Chainsaw is definitely nastier in tone. Didn't look too bad on Blu
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd June 2014, 02:21 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Mean Streets - 1973

Great 70's flick featuring powerhouse performances from Robert DeNiro and Harvey Keitel. New York has never looked so unattractive on screen. Nice to see future 'Sopranos actor David Proval deliver a fine performance also. A great directorial debut from the very talented Martin Scorsese. I loved it
Um...Scorsese's directorial debut was actually "Who's That Knocking at My Door" in 1967. He also made "Boxcar Bertha" in 1972, for Roger Corman, before "Mean Streets"
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 2nd June 2014, 02:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Um...Scorsese's directorial debut was actually "Who's That Knocking at My Door" in 1967. He also made "Boxcar Bertha" in 1972, for Roger Corman, before "Mean Streets"
Thanks for making me aware of that Suzi
Susan Foreman and keirarts like this.
Old 2nd June 2014, 03:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReversedBible View Post
Saw Black Sunday this evening, what can I say about it that hasn't been said already?
Something original perhaps?
ReversedBible likes this.
Old 2nd June 2014, 04:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
It's been a fair while since my last mass update to the extent that the below films were all watched in March (from the 20th onwards), the majority of which were part of my mini Cushing marathon.

Now, I just need to get around to posting an update in reference to April and May...
So go on B_E. What did you make of Bloodsuckers?

Love Bluebeard. No wonder Burton wanted to star with all those Euro lovelies, not to mention Joey Heatherton.
Old 2nd June 2014, 05:39 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
So go on B_E. What did you make of Bloodsuckers?

Love Bluebeard. No wonder Burton wanted to star with all those Euro lovelies, not to mention Joey Heatherton.
Bluebeard is indeed great - a terrific performance from Burton.

The less said about Blood Suckers AKA: Incense of the Damned the better though! It's not completely awful (mainly thanks to some of the cast and some psychedelic elements) but it feels a bit of a mish-mash of Hammer stories all blended together to create something that really does not seem to work... Patrick Mower basically re-plays his Devil Rides Out role, and then we have a Hammer 'rogues gallery' of regulars making up the ensemble cast who just stumble around the long-winded and often dull plot. It's no wonder Robert Hartford-Davis disowned it!
Old 2nd June 2014, 06:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Pit and the pendulum

Not the best Corman/ Poe adaptation but it's still a good movie that is saved by Vincent Prices wonderfully camp and wide eyed performance, he does seem to spend most of the movie fainting. As usual with corman's movies great sets and clothes considering the limited budgets. 7.5/10

Next up reanimator

Like this? Share it using the links below!