Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2008, 09:59 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
It's Scanners that I can't get my head round. Once that dude's head has exploded (which is great) I fall asleep (which isn't great).
Pretty much the same here. I found Scanners interminably boring and only the exploding head/final battle had any interest. One of Cronenberg's lesser films for me.

Shivers & Rabid are excellent. The Brood was also good stuff. I also enjoyed Videodrome though I have to be in the mood for it.
Old 6th August 2008, 10:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
Yeah, Cronenberg RULES!!!!!!! One of the greatest directors of all time - no question about it IMO. Has anyone else seen his 1996 'Crash' - I know that Trench has - I was slightly disappointed with it (but maybe thats because i've never seen a film like that before prehaps)

Dead And Breakfast (3.99)
Yeah, I loved 'Crash', thought it was a fantastic film. One of my favourite Cronenberg's along with 'A History of Violence' and 'Videodrome'. I agree on 'The Brood' aswell, great film.

Really enjoyed 'Dead and Breakfast', great throwback film. You definatley got your moneys worth there
Old 7th August 2008, 07:28 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm a huge fan of Shivers and Rabid - I saw those back to back as young'un and was blown away with the perversity and violence!

Years later I started to appreciate the intelligence behind his work. Anyone read High Rise? The book that Shivers is based on? Great stuff!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 7th August 2008, 10:45 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I was particularly disappointed with "Eastern Promises", but I need to give it another shot. On the subject of the American remake of "Funny Games", Michael Haneke who also directed the original stated that the reason he remade it was because American audiences don't like subtitles.
Old 7th August 2008, 11:16 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Watched Robert Horman's 1986 "The Hitcher" last night. This is a masterpiece!!!!! The tension just doesn't seem to stop! The acting, the directing, the INCREDIBLE cinemagraphy AND the script are just amazing! John Ryder, in my opinion, is one of the best villians in cinema! He is just soo menacing and EVIL!

Quite Hitchcockian too (the whole theme of the wrong person) with lots of homoerotic tones (well I may be reading into a bit too much!) - the banging of the car bumpers, the spitting in the face and licking it, John grabbing his knee - and it goes on!

Great film! If you haven't seen it, I urge you too ! You will NOT be disappointed - just make sure it's not the remake!!!!!! *rolls eyes*
Old 7th August 2008, 11:42 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Sean Bean was the saving grace of that film. He's a great actor and delivered a fantastic performance, very menacing. It's not often he plays roles like this so it was good to see him play the bad guy. Other than that, yeah, it was pretty dismal. I can't stand it when people from those appalling shows like The OC and One Tree Hill appear in these new slashers and stuff. It's just such a blatant desperate attempt to make more money at the cost of good casting/ film-making.
Old 7th August 2008, 05:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Eastern Promises

Violence wise I thought it was remarkably tame.

I enjoyed the first half but found the 2nd half less entertaining, in fact towards the end my interest was beginning to fade a bit.

Very good performances though.

Last edited by Angel; 7th August 2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 7th August 2008, 08:16 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween_22 View Post
Sean Bean was the saving grace of that film. He's a great actor and delivered a fantastic performance, very menacing. It's not often he plays roles like this so it was good to see him play the bad guy. Other than that, yeah, it was pretty dismal. I can't stand it when people from those appalling shows like The OC and One Tree Hill appear in these new slashers and stuff. It's just such a blatant desperate attempt to make more money at the cost of good casting/ film-making.
He was talking about the original mate......
Old 7th August 2008, 10:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I just re-read my post and I didn't make it very clear, sorry. The last thing he mentioned was the remake so I replied with that in mind, forgot to mention thats what I was talking about I'll be more careful in future
Old 7th August 2008, 10:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Eastern Promises

Violence wise I thought it was remarkably tame.

I enjoyed the first half but found the 2nd half less entertaining, in fact towards the end my interest was beginning to fade a bit.

Very good performances though.
Yeah, I agree. Thought it was a fantastic film for the most part then it just seemed to end out of nowhere. I was just left thinking What!? what happened, did I miss something? Really disappointing considering what a great film it was.
I'm really hoping there's a sequel because it set up this story then just ended with no resolution. (SPOILERS) Since when was Nikolai working for the police? it seemed to have no relevance to the story and what happened to Semyon? It just seemed really rushed to me. A bit disappointing violence wise aswell.

The performances were top notch though, I thought Viggo was excellent.

Like this? Share it using the links below!