Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Gojirosan 23rd March 2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 225979)
SNOWTOWN. Utterly grim and depressing film based on the crimes of serial killer John Bunting. A difficult film to watch due to subject matter and the unrelenting atmosphere of menace and despair from start to finish. Imagine "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" crossed with "Kes" and you're half way there. Essential viewing, a classic in waiting and highly recommended.

Thank you. I wasn't sure whether to bother, but I shall purchase this now.

Demoncrat 23rd March 2012 10:30 AM

As it's been a while since i had a migraine, sat and watched Tetsuo: The Bullet Man & Crank II in one sitting.

And i've forgotten the piece of paper i wrote all my info on. Erse!

the sound design in T:TBM was the most striking i've heard in a good while, pounding Industrial, mixed with low frequencies during dialogue scenes (well on my copy anyhow) not as totally brain busting as the Iron Man/Body Hammer rabbit punch but still quite an all out sensory assault.

And say what you like about Statham, in this he just courts the edge of self parody beautifully. Easily one of the few Occidental films to come close to the excesses of HK cinema IMO, if only for the line "What the bleeding hell are you pair of Sausage Nigels doin' to that dog??"

And i hated the first one, go figure :laugh::lol::pound:

Gojirosan 23rd March 2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 226033)
As it's been a while since i had a migraine, sat and watched Tetsuo: The Bullet Man

There's a third Tetsuo flick?!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2...oney_super.jpg

sawyer6 23rd March 2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 226055)

Yup :nod:

marvinnashsear 23rd March 2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler (Post 225144)
Death Wish (1974)

**** out of ****

Death Wish II (1982)

*** out of ****

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before but did anybody see Death Wish 2 on MGM HD on New Years Day. I could be wrong cos I've only got the melonfarmers page to go by but it looked to me to be uncut. It hasn't been shown since. It was a lot nastier than I've ever seen before.

Frankie Teardrop 24th March 2012 12:39 AM

SQUEAL - Cheap indie horror. I liked it. A vanful of the usual brats is offed by a family of mutant pig people. Could've been played for a few schlocky laughs but this swill flies straight from the trough with a genuine seriousness of intent and gets real morbid as a result. Lots of screaming and wailing in collusion with electronic drones, bits of gore, snippets of Pigman rape and the odd touchingly surreal skit mostly courtesy of the clown - dwarf pig guy (!) OK, so there are some laughs. But try laughing when a pig faced ogre forces you to strip amidst your dead bandmate's offal, then makes you put on a yellow dress FOR NO REASON AT ALL. The tears are already streaming down your face. Grating, haphazard, derivative and inspired by turns. Worth a shot.
AXE - The films of Frederick Friedel prove difficult to pin down, for those in search of easy answers at least. They kind of mix 70s American student 'art-house' with more obvious horror / exploitation / grindhouse riffs. I really like them, but they seem to be an acquired taste. Axe is no exeption - it's morbid and languid and will only appeal to those who enjoy chilly dissociation, cryptic imagery and a lack of pace. But if you fancy watching parts of 'Repulsion' reconfigured as fragmented drive-in fodder (sort of), then step up. Or, if Ingmar Bergman and SF Brownrigg got together, maybe this would be the result. Ask yourself the following question - "does seeing a momentary shot of a doll's head sat on a patch of green carpet define my idea of cinema if a sharp stab of discordant synth happens to be the soundtrack?" I know which way I voted. Very available on DVD and highly recommended for fans of sickly alienation.

Gojirosan 24th March 2012 08:35 AM

Finally caught up with Dominic Sena's Whiteout. Granted, I am a sucker for almost anything set in snowy conditions, but I thought this was a really nice and tense thriller that achieved a lot. Also, it took a mere 8 minutes before Kate Beckinsale gets undressed and has a shower.

:lol:

Demoncrat 24th March 2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 226055)

Hahahahahaha good stuff.
Tetsuo The Bullet Man trailer - YouTube

Rik 24th March 2012 09:59 AM

Watched the Thing prequel last night, I enjoyed it, yeah the cgi does kinda ruin things a bit but overall I thought it was a good film. Also recently watched Insidious on Netflix, gotta say watching it on my pc with headphones on made me jump a few times, full of cliches but still some genuine scares even if it is a bit of a rip off of Poltergeist, I'll definitely pick both films up on BD at some point.

Handyman Joe 24th March 2012 10:04 AM

I've been frantically rewatching all my Mad Men blu rays in prep for Season 5 on Tuesday (My God I love this show - if you're swithering, go for it, you won't regret it, see also Breaking Bad for the best entertainment currently available) Anyway, I did fit in a long delayed first viewing of Amer. WTF!
Is this a movie or an art installation? I found myself split in two here - I loved the visuals, style, music etc but geez guys, how about a semblance of a narrative? just some indication that all these fancy flourishes eventually fit together a'la Mulholland Drive. I don't know, maybe they do, I've only seen it the once, but It sure seemed like pure cinematic onanism to me. Will definitely rewatch this, although I get the feeling it may be best appreciated in little chunks rather that the full 90 minutes.

Gojirosan 24th March 2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 226277)
pure cinematic onanism

SOLD!

:lol:

Make Them Die Slowly 24th March 2012 10:11 AM

BABA YAGA. Fantastically dated and perhaps out of date for it's time, I love this film. My only criticism is the ending were it switches from dream weirdness into supernatural thriller.

Frankie Teardrop 24th March 2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 226277)
I've been frantically rewatching all my Mad Men blu rays in prep for Season 5 on Tuesday (My God I love this show - if you're swithering, go for it, you won't regret it, see also Breaking Bad for the best entertainment currently available) Anyway, I did fit in a long delayed first viewing of Amer. WTF!
Is this a movie or an art installation? I found myself split in two here - I loved the visuals, style, music etc but geez guys, how about a semblance of a narrative? just some indication that all these fancy flourishes eventually fit together a'la Mulholland Drive. I don't know, maybe they do, I've only seen it the once, but It sure seemed like pure cinematic onanism to me. Will definitely rewatch this, although I get the feeling it may be best appreciated in little chunks rather that the full 90 minutes.

I really liked Amer for having the guts to be what it is - just a gratuitous explosion of style. Interested to see what the makers do next.

Mojo 24th March 2012 10:59 AM

Giallo
Thought this started out ok...but to be honest, by halfway through, Adrien Brody's 'acting' was getting on my nerves, some of the set pieces had become laughable and it was a struggle to sit through to the end. Another dud from Dario, I'm afraid.
:(

Handyman Joe 24th March 2012 11:39 AM

This weeks vintage Saturday morning horror was the 1920 Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Amazing. Get through the first 25 interminable minutes of drawing room chatter and you are treated to a succession of the best scenes silent horror had to offer (Chaney's phantom and Schreck's Nosferatu notwithstanding). Hyde prowling around an opium den surrounded by actual leprosy victims, the hat removing pointy head reveal, the giant spider, the childs unsentimental battering courtesy of Hydes cane, the mind boggling John Barrymore transformation scenes. Truly one of the horror greats and supplied with a weird, chintzy end of the pier organ score on my cheapo Dark Vision DVD!

Rik 24th March 2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 226297)
Giallo
Thought this started out ok...but to be honest, by halfway through, Adrien Brody's 'acting' was getting on my nerves, some of the set pieces had become laughable and it was a struggle to sit through to the end. Another dud from Dario, I'm afraid.

I was going to watch this last night too but I'm being put off by all the negative reviews, I will give it a watch to make up my own mind but I'm not holding out much hope for it

Make Them Die Slowly 24th March 2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 226297)
Giallo

Even ignoring that it's made by Argento, it's just not a great film. I had the feeling that the script had been lying around since the post "Silence of the Lambs" serial killer trend. It felt very early 90s to me, the decade that shunned horror.

James Morton 24th March 2012 01:48 PM

saw BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW on the Horror Channel last night
best thing about the film was Linda Hayden nude

Rik 24th March 2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 226347)
saw BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW on the Horror Channel last night
best thing about the film was Linda Hayden nude

It's a great British Hammerlike film IMO, pretty risqué for it's time too, each to their own I suppose

mercury 24th March 2012 03:03 PM

Scream 4.....not bad actually
The Driller Killer....This film is nasty....cheap and nasty:lol:

Make Them Die Slowly 24th March 2012 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 226350)
It's a great British Hammerlike film IMO, pretty risqué for it's time too, each to their own I suppose

BOSC is one of my favourite films but James does have a point.;)

Nordicdusk 24th March 2012 11:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Watched Nightmare city. A plane full of Zombies / Infected are on board and they all have weapons yes thats right armed zombies. They have knives axes and even guns. The make up is pretty weak on some of the zombies
example
Attachment 49409

All in all its a good film trying something different with Zombies. You just gotta appreciate someone trying new things. The gore looks really good in some parts in others its just basic splash of blood on faces or clothes. The best effect was the womens boob being cut off.

Frankie Teardrop 25th March 2012 12:07 AM

DUST DEVIL - A few minutes into it I was digging the moody atmosphere, the constant shots of moons arcing through the nocturnal sky, the symbolic-looking animal references and the serial killing. Over an hour and a half later I felt unmoved and uninvolved. I think part of the problem for me was that 'Dust Devil' didn't quite feature enough of the things it did well ie the aforementioned, and tended instead towards something more ponderous... basically, I just thought it needed to cut loose and become the two hour splurge of rock video stylistics it may have wanted have been. But it would've been difficult to make anything like that in the early nineties (or any time really) and it's easy for me to sit back and moan when there's a whole slew of movies available these days capable of meeting this kind of need for stylistic excess. Will probably return to it at some point because I wanted to like it more than I did.
WILD BEASTS - I approached with apprehension because I was wary of the possible presence of actual animal violence, which I'm really not into. There are some burning rats and shots of animals having a go at each other, but nothing as sickening as eg. some of the stuff in the uncut 'Cannibal Holocaust' (or some of director Prosperi's other works)... not that such dubious relativism is of any value in getting to the bottom of what should and shouldn't be on screen, or watched for that matter. I'm not getting into that moral quagmire - the film exists, it's out and I saw it. And beyond any less than defensible aspects, it's the real trash-exploitation deal, a frenzied ninety minutes of animals-on-the-loose mayhem which never really flags. Tastes bad on so many levels... I mean, you can tell what you're getting into from the opening credit sequence alone - a jarringly blunt montage of shots of inner city squalor set to really bad eighties sax. Prosperi tells us repeatedly that modern life is rubbish for betraying the innocents, the animals... then goes and burns a load of rats for a few video rentals etc. OK Franco. We believe you.
NO REASON - After a preamble involving missing babysitters, mysterious packages and bereaved neighbours, a woman wakes to find herself in a red-lit abattoir which a cthulhuvian-mask wearing S/M dungeonmaster tells her is the first level of a colour-coded sequence of hellish carnage-zones leading to 'the white light at the end'. Woman proceeds to make her way through various scenarios involving freakish cenobite-types before waking up to find she's a serial killing bank robber or something. This is an Olaf Ittenbach film, a fact which may cause a bit of eye rolling around here. Actually, I'm more than prepared to accomodate Olaf when he pulls out the stops and blasts off into the splatter-ether, which he does here. So, we have plenty of gore (including quite a bit of dick ripping, interestingly), nudity, fetish elements, all round bad vibes, 'spiritual' aspects that whilst interesting aren't explored, gratifying weirdness... despite all the elements being in place, a certain flatness persists. But, the elements ARE in place, which counts for something.

pedromonkey 25th March 2012 02:50 PM

THE DRIVER: Walter Hill's Brilliantly cool neo noir with an unlikely role for Ryan O'Neal as the Driver. Isabelle Adjani is gorgeous to look at and Bruce Dern is intense as the detective out to stop him. Has one of the best car chases i've ever seen at the end as The driver plays cat and mouse with a vengeful criminal in a warehouse.

48 HOURS: Walter Hill again, This time round it's laughs a plenty as grizzled detective Nick Nolte gets smooth talking convict, Eddie Murphy out of prison to track down James Remar. Some brilliant dialogue from Eddie Murphy and some great violent moments. Great stuff.

EXTREME PREJUDICE: Final Walter Hill film of the week, this one again has Nick Nolte playing a texas ranger on the texas/mexico border trying to stop childhood friend turned drug baron, Powers Booth from smuggling drugs into the U.S while trying to also handle a team of Mercs and his girlfriend. Violent, sweary and has some of the best sounding gun blasts this side of a Spaghetti western.

THE THING 2011: This prequel is a an alright film, it's partially ruined by CGI but has some nice moments. It's miss cast and lacks all the tension and paranoia that made Carpenter's original so good. It's still a hell of a lot better than most modern studio horror films.

RACE WITH THE DEVIL: had this sitting on my shelf for a while so decided to watch it last night. It's a good film, but it's almost 60 minutes of not much happening then 28 minutes of hell breaking loose. I liked the idea behind it but it seemed abit slowburn for the subject matter, Warren Oates and Peter Fonda are utter bad asses though.

DRIVE ANGRY: this film was the reason i watched Race With The Devil. Nic Cage plays Milton, who's just escaped from hell on a mission to kill the man responsible for the death of daughter and to prevent him from sacrificing his granddaughter while being pursued by The Accountant. I ****ing love this film, it's exactly what it is, it's not trying to be anything other than a straight up exploitation flick for modern audiences. Great performances all round especially from William Fichtner as the Accountant.

RAPID FIRE: Brandon Lee witnesses a mob hit and teams up with renegade cop powers booth to take down the mafia. Some really good action scenes don't compensate for a film which has been done many many times before. Brandon Lee proved he had acting chops and it's a shame he died so young.

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th March 2012 02:56 PM

Love Rapid Fire. The added bonus is the awesome Powers Boothe.

mercury 25th March 2012 03:00 PM

Afraid of the Dark

Rik 25th March 2012 03:01 PM

Tried to watch Jennifer's Body last night, even the gorgeous Megan Fox couldn't save it from being switched off after about 45 minutes, utter garbage. Thought I'd check out Hellraiser: Deader on Netflix instead, good horror film, rubbish Hellraiser film, you could tell they added the franchise elements to an already written script and although Doug Bradley gets slightly more screen time than the previous installment, his talents are definitely wasted here. Just got Hellworld and Revelations to watch now to complete the series, can't say I'm overly excited about either of these if the last few are anything to go by, they should've stopped after number 4

Scyther 25th March 2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 226519)
Love Rapid Fire. The added bonus is the awesome Powers Boothe.

Powers Booth is hard as :censored:! Loved him in HBO's Deadwood, as well!

Scyther 25th March 2012 03:11 PM

Started Behind Convent Walls last night and finished this morning. Great cinematography and natural light kept me interested throughout all the frivolous Nun shenanigans! :)

Also watched The Last Circus. Trippy, Santa Sangre esque drama and violence set the turbulent 1970s.

James Morton 25th March 2012 03:53 PM

Slaughter High - fun 80's horror
Prom Night - not a great slasher as I had hoped for
Death Line - still very good and Donald Pleseance in great form

Frankie Teardrop 25th March 2012 04:55 PM

THE DEVILS - I'll spare you the hyperbole, for the most part - I know many here will already have first hand knowledge. For myself, I have to say, simply - what amazing cinema. Almost overwhelming. Boschian in scope and texture, but emotionally and conceptually charged - just amazing. I can't think of anything in recent times that reaches it.

keirarts 25th March 2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 226525)
Tried to watch Jennifer's Body last night, even the gorgeous Megan Fox couldn't save it from being switched off after about 45 minutes, utter garbage. Thought I'd check out Hellraiser: Deader on Netflix instead, good horror film, rubbish Hellraiser film, you could tell they added the franchise elements to an already written script and although Doug Bradley gets slightly more screen time than the previous installment, his talents are definitely wasted here. Just got Hellworld and Revelations to watch now to complete the series, can't say I'm overly excited about either of these if the last few are anything to go by, they should've stopped after number 4

Many would say they should have stopped after part 3 ;)

Just wait until the last one, i'm fairly certain you'll think that one made deader look like a masterpiece.

gag 25th March 2012 06:04 PM

[QUOTE=keirarts;226550]Many would say they should have stopped after part 3 ;)

Just wait until the last one, i'm fairly certain you'll think that one made deader look like a masterpiece

To be honset i gave up after 4 i think....
Same with friday 13th and Children of the corn and Halloween when you start
getting 5 6 7 etc i tend to lose interest there only the odd one or two films where sequel upon sequel have interested me and Final Destinations have been a prime eg of one...

gag 25th March 2012 06:11 PM

Watched Frightmare did absolutly nothing for me was glad when it finished one i wont be going back to..

Rik 25th March 2012 07:55 PM

Just finishing watching Avatar for the first time and I couldn't wait the extra 5 minutes for it to finish without saying this. All that money spent on extremely impressive CGI and they can't even make the tattoos on Sam Worthingtons arms look like they aren't painted on like henna tattoos found on 8 year old kids in Benidorm! Good film though, not sure it lived up to all the hype mind.
Now time to switch channels for T3: Rise of the machines, yeah I like it...so what? :)

Make Them Die Slowly 25th March 2012 08:58 PM

I watched two Carry On films with the sound muted, back to back whilst doing the ironing. Every time I looked at the screen it was like witnessing the world championship gurning contest with ever increasing ugly and hostile wallpaper in the background.:fear:

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th March 2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 226633)
I watched two Carry On films with the sound muted, back to back whilst doing the ironing. Every time I looked at the screen it was like witnessing the world championship gurning contest with ever increasing ugly and hostile wallpaper in the background.:fear:

:lol: I watched those this afternoon too. Great stuff. :D

Rik 25th March 2012 09:20 PM

And me, well Carry On At Your Convenience anyway

keirarts 25th March 2012 10:03 PM

[QUOTE=gag;226555]
Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 226550)
Many would say they should have stopped after part 3 ;)

Just wait until the last one, i'm fairly certain you'll think that one made deader look like a masterpiece

To be honset i gave up after 4 i think....
Same with friday 13th and Children of the corn and Halloween when you start
getting 5 6 7 etc i tend to lose interest there only the odd one or two films where sequel upon sequel have interested me and Final Destinations have been a prime eg of one...

I think the sign some of these movies need to stop is when the franchise hits outer space.

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th March 2012 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=keirarts;226643]
Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 226555)

I think the sign some of these movies need to stop is when the franchise hits outer space.

Same thing happened with the Alien movies.....