Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Prince_Vajda 20th April 2012 08:02 AM

The Witches. Gentle and moody Hammer Horror. Joan Fontaine is excellent; the same goes for the rest of the cast. Little action, few shocks, but nice suspense moments and an unsettling atmosphere. Spoiled by incredibly ridiculous final scenes. :fear:

Recommended.
*** out of ****

Bigger review will follow on the Cult Labs Members Review Club thread pretty soon.

Greetings!

Demoncrat 20th April 2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 233599)
and PROM NIGHT was crap as well!

no accounting for taste then cough cough.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th April 2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 233599)
and PROM NIGHT was crap as well!

Sacrilege! Stone the heretic!

Seriously, I'm surprised to find someone who didn't like it as it's one of the great overlooked '80s slashers. Still, to each their own.

DryJack 20th April 2012 10:14 AM

Finally got round to buying the Arrow release of Street Trash (something I've been meaning to do for months) and watched it last night. I had the cut version on VHS back in the day and I loved that. Then a mate gave me an uncut copy and I was in heaven. I was a bit worried that the film wouldn't appeal as much as it did when I was younger but I needn't have been. Just as much fun as I remember. Low budget film making at it's finest. Looking forward to watching The Meltdown Memoirs next.

mercury 20th April 2012 11:16 AM

Deliverance........Squeal piggy :shocked::eek:

fuzzymctiger 20th April 2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 225991)
Restless,yes that's the feeling! Surely not the best film to watch if you want to visit Australia.

Well, excuuuuuse ME!?! Australia's a great place and just because there were a couple of murders 14 years ago in the country areas, doesn't mean the whole place is dangerous. :angel:

Wolf Creek and Snowtown are based respectively on the 2 worst serial killers in Australia.

Now if it was Wolf Creek we were talking about, then i would understand you not wanting to come here. Snowtowns victims are locals, where as Wolf Creeks are tourists. :fear:

sawyer6 20th April 2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 233896)
Well, excuuuuuse ME!?! Australia's a great place and just because there were a couple of murders 14 years ago in the country areas, doesn't mean the whole place is dangerous. :angel:

Wolf Creek and Snowtown are based respectively on the 2 worst serial killers in Australia.

Now if it was Wolf Creek we were talking about, then i would understand you not wanting to come here. Snowtowns victims are locals, where as Wolf Creeks are tourists. :fear:

Don't get me wrong.I love Australia,I even consider to live there ;)

James Morton 20th April 2012 01:25 PM

SKYSCRAPER
crap low budget and DIE HARD wannabe - no chance of that!
Anna Nicole Smith as an unlikely helicopter pilot, couldn't act, no one could esp the leader of the terrorists and it his first film and the last I would think!
She was covering up as much as she could, and the rape scene was cut
but it was one of these films which was terrible overall, acting, directing, editing, script.....

Nordicdusk 20th April 2012 08:14 PM

Last House On the Left remake.

I was not impressed by this at all just sort of bored me.

Prince_Vajda 20th April 2012 08:31 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Another film night with a close friend of mine. Our regular meetings (every three or four weeks) not only consist of movie marathons. There's also lots of chatter and decent meat and drink; that is why we only watched three films, before falling asleep at 5am. :smokin:

Natural Born Killers - The Director's Cut (1994). Nice mix of crazy editing, quite a bit of violent action, and social criticism/commentary. A modern version of Bonnie and Clyde. Both Harrelson and Lewis play their roles with enthusiasm - he's really cool and she's really hot. Juliette Lewis never looked better - and she's a very convincing crazy criminal chick. Tom Sizemore's and Tommy Lee Jones' performances are (positively) over the top. Great soundtrack, too.
The strange editing and the visual gimmicks (graphic novel look, red filter, black and white,…), some of the film's merits, get a little bit repetitive, though.

---
Mallory: That's the worst ****in' head I ever got in my life! Next time don't be so ****in' eager!

Scagnetti: Oswald might've been a pussy, but he was a great shot.

[Studying Mallory's imprint at a crime scene]
Jack Scagnetti: Now that is a perfect ass.

Mallory: Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad!
---

*** out of ****

Commando (1985). Non-stop action, a myriad of one-liners, humour, and Arnie – what’s not to like? Seriously, I think this is one of the best Action films of the 80s, and maybe my personal favourite of this genre. Of course, you have to accept the fact that our hero is almost invincible - but the same goes for almost all 80s Action flicks, and Arnie most certainly does look invincible. :nod: Look out for a The Prowler style kill in the final scenes. :lol:

---
Matrix: Remember, Sully, when I promised to kill you last?
Sully: That's right, Matrix! You did!
Matrix: I lied.

Cooke: You scared, mother****er? Well, you should be, because this Green Beret is going to kick your big ass!
Matrix: I eat Green Berets for breakfast. And right now, I'm very hungry!

Gen. Kirby: Keep on the airwaves and let me know if you hear anything unusual.
Soldier: I'll keep at it. What are you expecting?
Gen. Kirby: World War Three.
---

*** ½ out of ****

High Tension (2003). One of the finest modern Horror films. Really creepy, with fantastic cinematography, a great amount of gore (Giannetto De Rossi!), and a convincing (and cute-looking) Cecile De France in the leading role. Philippe “The Butcher” Nahon (Gaspar Noé’s Irreversible and I Stand Alone) takes a low-key approach to the role of the sadistic killer – perfectly proving that less can be more. As for the final twist: if you really payed attention to the movie, you’ll get it and applaud loudly. I got it, I forgot about a few little inconsistencies, and I loved it till the very last seconds. Mr Ebert, go get yourself some brain cells!*

*** ½ out of ****

All three are highly recommended.

As for my friend: he did like Natural Born Killers (although he thought it was a bit too crazy; he also had to put up with me constantly praising Juliette Lewis' lovely bum and her flithy voice; we both adored the orange Challenger), he very much liked Commando (and loved Sully's yellow Porsche, and almost burst into tears when it was heavily dented; we both loved Arnie's Austrian accent and could not stop imitating him afterwards), and he loved High Tension (he was 'dead tired' (wink, wink) and yet he managed to keep himself awake till the end; his first words: "She (i.e. De France) is a lesbian, isn't she?")

Greetings!

* Quite a few of Ebert's reviews are highly entertaining and spot-on, but his High Tension review is a disgrace. :mad2:

PS: I moved this post from another place (see page 1310 of this thread) - you'll find a mini review of The Witches there.

Nordicdusk 20th April 2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 234090)
Another film night with a close friend of mine. Our regular meetings (every three or four weeks) not only consist of movie marathons. There's also lots of chatter and decent meat and drink; that is why we only watched three films, before falling asleep at 5am. :smokin:

Natural Born Killers - The Director's Cut (1994). Nice mix of crazy editing, quite a bit of violent action, and social criticism/commentary. A modern version of Bonnie and Clyde. Both Harrelson and Lewis play their roles with enthusiasm - he's really cool and she's really hot. Juliette Lewis never looked better - and she's a very convincing crazy criminal chick. Tom Sizemore's and Tommy Lee Jones' performances are (positively) over the top. Great soundtrack, too.
The strange editing and the visual gimmicks (graphic novel look, red filter, black and white,…), some of the film's merits, get a little bit repetitive, though.

---
Mallory: That's the worst ****in' head I ever got in my life! Next time don't be so ****in' eager!

Scagnetti: Oswald might've been a pussy, but he was a great shot.

[Studying Mallory's imprint at a crime scene]
Jack Scagnetti: Now that is a perfect ass.

Mallory: Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad!
---

*** out of ****

Commando (1985). Non-stop action, a myriad of one-liners, humour, and Arnie – what’s not to like? Seriously, I think this is one of the best Action films of the 80s, and maybe my personal favourite of this genre. Of course, you have to accept the fact that our hero is almost invincible - but the same goes for almost all 80s Action flicks, and Arnie most certainly does look invincible. :nod: Look out for a The Prowler style kill in the final scenes. :lol:

---
Matrix: Remember, Sully, when I promised to kill you last?
Sully: That's right, Matrix! You did!
Matrix: I lied.

Cooke: You scared, mother****er? Well, you should be, because this Green Beret is going to kick your big ass!
Matrix: I eat Green Berets for breakfast. And right now, I'm very hungry!

Gen. Kirby: Keep on the airwaves and let me know if you hear anything unusual.
Soldier: I'll keep at it. What are you expecting?
Gen. Kirby: World War Three.
---

*** ½ out of ****

High Tension (2003). One of the finest modern Horror films. Really creepy, with fantastic cinematography, a great amount of gore (Giannetto De Rossi!), and a convincing (and cute-looking) Cecile De France in the leading role. Philippe “The Butcher” Nahon (Gaspar Noé’s Irreversible and I Stand Alone) takes a low-key approach to the role of the sadistic killer – perfectly proving that less can be more. As for the final twist: if you really payed attention to the movie, you’ll get it and applaud loudly. I got it, I forgot about a few little inconsistencies, and I loved it till the very last seconds. Mr Ebert, go get yourself some brain cells!*

*** ½ out of ****

All three are highly recommended.

As for my friend: he did like Natural Born Killers (although he thought it was a bit too crazy; he also had to put up with me constantly praising Juliette Lewis' lovely bum and her flithy voice; we both adored the orange Challenger), he very much liked Commando (and loved Sully's yellow Porsche, and almost burst into tears when it was heavily dented; we both loved Arnie's Austrian accent and could not stop imitating him afterwards), and he loved High Tension (he was 'dead tired' (wink, wink) and yet he managed to keep himself awake till the end; his first words: "She (i.e. De France) is a lesbian, isn't she?")

Greetings!

* Quite a few of Ebert's reviews are highly entertaining and spot-on, but his High Tension review is a disgrace. :mad2:

PS: I moved this post from another place (see page 1310 of this thread) - you'll find a mini review of The Witches there.

A perfect night in my eyes great films and a crap load of MEAT.

Prince_Vajda 20th April 2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 234099)
A perfect night in my eyes great films and a crap load of MEAT.

As for meat...there's one scene in Commando where Matrix and Cooke are fighting in a hotel room, resulting in a total destruction of the latter.
Cindy's comment: "These guys eat too much red meat."

Both my friend and me had eaten beef steak for supper! :lol:

Greetings!

Nordicdusk 20th April 2012 08:47 PM

I see in your score for Commando you gave 3 1/2 hope the half point off was that the movie had to end thats the only downside to that movie for me ;)

Prince_Vajda 20th April 2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 234112)
I see in your score for Commando you gave 3 1/2 hope the half point off was that the movie had to end thats the only downside to that movie for me ;)

Within my rating system, four stars are restricted to all-time classics and all-time masterpieces - films that are not only top-notch within their genre, but in general. Commando is one of the finest Action flicks out there, but it's "only" a Action flick. That's why this Arnie flick got a *** 1/2 rating - if I only rated it in terms of entertainment, I'd have to give four stars, of course. :)

Greetings!

Nordicdusk 20th April 2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 234119)
Within my rating system, four stars are restricted to all-time classics and all-time masterpieces - films that are not only top-notch within their genre, but in general. Commando is one of the finest Action flicks out there, but it's "only" a Action flick. That's why this Arnie flick got a *** 1/2 rating - if I only rated at it in terms of entertainment, I'd have to give four stars, of course. :)

Greetings!

Thats a good point i just get caught up in all the testosterone fueled action it sort of clouds my judgement :lol:

Make Them Die Slowly 20th April 2012 09:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I watched a few Richard Kern short films earlier. They no longer hold the transgressive power they once had and now seem rather quaint.

DEATH VALLEY '69. Basically a video to the song by Sonic Youth.

RIGHT SIDE OF MY BRAIN. Lydia Lunch narrates a series of sexual fantasies and acts them out on screen. The fantasies become increasingly violent and less sexual as the film progresses. Look out for Henry Rollins beating up a child and Jim Thirlwell getting XXX with Lydia.

YOU KILLED ME FIRST. Highly funny tale of a dysfunctional family eating a huge turkey whilst berating the odd bod family member before she kills them all. I couldn't tell if this was meant to be serious or not. However Lung Leg is great, a mass of twitches and barely suppressed rage.

THE BITCHES. Two women compete to get a man's attention before they dress him up as a girl and spit roast him with jizz spurting strap ons! Very graphic but warm and fluffy at the same time.

THE SEWING CIRCLE. Using only deep breathing to numb the pain, a woman has her labia pierced before having her vagina sewn shut.Ouch.

X IS Y. A montage of girls and guns. It will seem very familiar to those who post on the random pictures thread.

FINGERED. Truly awesome and foul story of phone sex, fisting, anal sex, violence, guns, knives, cars and general mayhem. Imagine NATURAL BORN KILLERS made for £10 with the same mentality as FORCED ENTRY. Hunt it down now, it's great and deserves to be seen by more people.

Nordicdusk 20th April 2012 09:45 PM

Henry Rollins beating up a child ha ha now that i gotta try see.

Make Them Die Slowly 20th April 2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 234153)
Henry Rollins beating up a child ha ha now that i gotta try see.

It's quite a brutal scene, the boy is only about 8 or 9 years old but Henry has him pinned up against a wall and at one point strangles him whilst bending the poor kids head right back.:shocked:

skankenstoned 20th April 2012 10:11 PM

Watched a couple of Alberto De Martino flicks, Blazing Magnum and The Antichrist, all good fun! Gave Lizard In A Womans Skin a second viewing, Cirio H Santiago's Sisterhood, Fulci's AWESOME Contraband, Castellari's The Big Racket and Martino's The Violent Professionals, QUALITY!!!

Nordicdusk 20th April 2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 234155)
It's quite a brutal scene, the boy is only about 8 or 9 years old but Henry has him pinned up against a wall and at one point strangles him whilst bending the poor kids head right back.:shocked:

Sounds pretty brutal and not as funny as i had first imagined. My apologies

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th April 2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 234152)
THE SEWING CIRCLE. Using only deep breathing to numb the pain, a woman has her labia pierced before having her vagina sewn shut.Ouch.

I'm presuming this isn't a feature length film?

fuzzymctiger 21st April 2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 233929)
Don't get me wrong.I love Australia,I even consider to live there ;)

Great place here, except for the all over the place weather (at least in Melbourne) and how ridiculously over priced everything is. :mmph:

Pete 21st April 2012 12:59 AM

VALERIE AND HER WEEK OF WONDERS - Can't believe I left it so long to watch this! Wonderful. The dude in the cloak looked like the love child of Death from BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE (or is it BOGUS JOURNEY? I forget) and the Emperor from STAR WARS.

RAWHEAD REX - Not bad, some the acting was pretty naff and it had the look and feel of a TV movie but overrall worth a look.

Daemonia 21st April 2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 234152)
I watched a few Richard Kern short films earlier. They no longer hold the transgressive power they once had and now seem rather quaint.

Oh I don't know, I saw the Kern shorts recently and....yes....I was shocked. Sewing Circle....Good God....

And yes, Rollins really does scare that kid. Shakes him about like a rag doll.

It wasn't too long ago that Customs confiscated the imported DVD and prosecuted the importer.

Make Them Die Slowly 21st April 2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 234189)
Oh I don't know, I saw the Kern shorts recently and....yes....I was shocked. Sewing Circle....Good God....

And yes, Rollins really does scare that kid. Shakes him about like a rag doll.

It wasn't too long ago that Customs confiscated the imported DVD and prosecuted the importer.

Yikes! The scene with the kid is a difficult watch I agree, but the rest of the films, for me, have lost the power they once had. Admittedly I had them on VHS in the 90s and obsessively watched the hell out of them. They were just another strand of the whole "transgressive" culture I was into at the time.

Gojirosan 21st April 2012 09:45 AM

This morning I tried to watch Killer Elite.

It was so awful I had to stop it after 35 minutes.

I don't know if I can bring myself to watch the rest.

Make Them Die Slowly 21st April 2012 01:26 PM

URBAN EXPLORERS. Okay slasher/torture flick with the usual gang of unlovable characters getting bumped off. It does contain a quite spectacular foot shooting scene, that's the "Maniac" of such scenes.

James Morton 21st April 2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 233878)

Seriously, I'm surprised to find someone who didn't like it as it's one of the great overlooked '80s slashers. Still, to each their own.

I honestly can't remember seeing PROM NIGHT on video but saw it on the Horror Channel some time ago and it was a very dire 'slasher'

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st April 2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 234292)
PROM NIGHT very dire 'slasher'

I totally agree.

I consider myself a Slasher film fan as well.

James Morton 21st April 2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 234303)
I totally agree.

I consider myself a Slasher film fan as well.

MANIAC, PIECES, NEW YORK RIPPER, PROWLER, etc
now they are real slashers!

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st April 2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 233878)

Its overlooked because its dull, flat and lifeless, oh and fairly bloodless too.

keirarts 21st April 2012 04:34 PM

WATERMEN.

Very generic backwoods/hills have eyes/texas chainsaw rip-off but set on the ocean with inbred hillbilly fishermen raping and killing a bunch of rich slackers on a boat and carving them up for bait. So long as you can get past the feeling you've seen it all before its not terrible, just mediocre.

Prince_Vajda 21st April 2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 234313)
Its overlooked because its dull, flat and lifeless, oh and fairly bloodless too.

In my book, that's a total no-no for a Slasher. :eek: :fear:

Greetings!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st April 2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 234350)
In my book, that's a total no-no for a Slasher. :eek: :fear:

Hey, Halloween is fairly bloodless, with all the horror through atmosphere and suspense. If I remember correctly, Michael only kills five people and a dog!

Prince_Vajda 21st April 2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 234372)
Hey, Halloween is fairly bloodless, with all the horror through atmosphere and suspense. If I remember correctly, Michael only kills five people and a dog!

You've got a point there! :nod:

Honestly, I don't count Halloween as a Slasher. It's so much more than just the first Slasher - but that would be worth a discussion on its own on another thread. ;)

Greetings!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st April 2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 234376)
You've got a point there! :nod:

Honestly, I don't count Halloween as a Slasher. It's so much more than just the first Slasher - but that would be worth a discussion on its own on another thread. ;)

Greetings!

Black Christmas is also all about the increasing dread and horror from the from the phone calls, knowing the killer is inside the house. I think Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street changed things and made filmmakers focus on the death scenes and 'body count' to a greater extent.

Like you say though, if there isn't a thread for this, there should be.

Handyman Joe 21st April 2012 08:45 PM

Lourdes - Another slow moving bullet into the brain from Jessica Hausner. I'm not a Catholic, in fact I'm not religious at all and I find all the arcane rituals and liturgical music somewhat creepy. This movie is a serious exploration of this world and gripped me despite (because of?) the glacial pace. The director has a very personal style, she's definitely an auteur based on the 2 movies I've seen - this is like Hotel - a succession of beautifully composed medium/long shots, static but with multiple movements within the frame. Check the opening scene for a perfect illustration. The lead actress is fantastic and is surrounded by a great gallery of flawed characters all with their own agendas. Lourdes itself is part Catholic Disneyland part Vegas - I'II never visit it so it was fascinating to see. Inspired choice of closing music - randomness of fate mirrored in randomness of sound! In case you haven't guessed I'm loving the cerebal, subtly creepy films of Jessica Hausner and look forward to seeing more.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st April 2012 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just seen Code of Silence.

An excellent Chuck Norris action film with a little more going on in the storyline than many films of this ilk. In this case a side story regarding corrupt cops from Norris' unit which gave the main rival mobs storyline a run for its money.

Nice violence, with a seedy turn from the great Henry Silva.

Possibly gave the makers of Robocop an idea as well.

Recommended for action fans.

gag 21st April 2012 10:45 PM

Just finished watching last series of prison break ...
Shame its finished i highly enjoyed it but wasnt keen on series 4 got bit daft and stupid and ridicolous to be honest in my opinion So many things annoyed me about it..
I highly enjoyed series 3 despite the critism it got ....
I still think the last bit the 1 and hr special would have still been a pretty decent watch even if it was recycled same story line as series 1 and 3 and was a whole series of trying to break sarah out..

Pete 21st April 2012 11:31 PM

FRANKENSTEIN GENERAL HOSPITAL - Very silly comedy in which the great, great grandson of Baron Frankenstein continues is grandfather's experiment and creates his own monster, who then escapes, rampages around the hospital and ends up having kinky sex with, and then eventually marrying, the sexy Hospital Psychologist. Amusing, but could have been so much better. Still, it's not a bad way to waste a afternoon.

ZACHARIAH - Dubbed the worlds first 'electronic' western, and plays like a glorified music video for several late 60's/early 70's mostly obscure (well to me anyway!) American musicians. The story is about two boys (one played by Don 'Miami Vice' Johnson) who decide to leave everything behind and become outlaws. Had this played as a straight western without the music gimmick it would have been ok but the musical interludes prove to be nothing but a distraction.