Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2015, 05:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Me, the missus and her sister watched Ted 2 last week, I nearly walked out. Not because the film was bad, but because her sister couldn't get her head around a Teddy bear getting married. She was so incapable of going with it and using her imagination that it ruined the whole thing for me. Silly bint, I don't care if it was her birthday.

I'm going on my own during the week.
Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 25th July 2015, 05:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
Me, the missus and her sister watched Ted 2 last week, I nearly walked out. Not because the film was bad, but because her sister couldn't get her head around a Teddy bear getting married. She was so incapable of going with it and using her imagination that it ruined the whole thing for me. Silly bint, I don't care if it was her birthday.

I'm going on my own during the week.
I knowing people like that, sounds like she would have trouble with any film that you need to use your imagination. How is she with sci-fi, superhero movies or toy story films?
Old 25th July 2015, 06:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I knowing people like that, sounds like she would have trouble with any film that you need to use your imagination. How is she with sci-fi, superhero movies or toy story films?
The only other film I've watched in her company is Black Swan, she tutted throughout. She's a really nice girl, great with our kids, she'll do anything for anyone. If she doesn't 'get something' though, she makes it known, not the most imaginative of people.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 25th July 2015, 06:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Extinction (2014)

A research team deep in the Amazon jungle looking for rare and endangered species become the prey for prehistoric creatures.

Another found footage film with all the cons of the worst of the genre, yet just a few pro's that made it watchable especially in the final half hour.

I would think watching Cannibal Holocaust on dvd was the nearest the film makers got to the Amazon. Filming took place in Wales but luckily it was photographed with enough skill to not make it blindingly obvious in every shot. That skill also helped when it came to the general filming, as for every rock and tree trunk the lens focused on, the cameras also managed to capture some semi-decent dinosaur footage.

The dinosaurs are the films big plus point. Although never shown in full height or length, the creatures seemed to be well realized practical effects and models which looked quite convincing.

There isn't much in the way of tension or blood and guts, and the first hour is full of chat and shots of lizards and snakes (Thankfully not being ripped apart), but this might well appeal to lovers of creature features.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91pveinTN5L._SL1500_.jpg (102.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 25th July 2015, 06:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The director of an upcoming zombie film called Survivors recommended this to me at Horror Con the other week, I think he said he was friends with the filmmakers, think I'll wait for the inevitable 1p zoverstocks purchase
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 25th July 2015, 06:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
The director of an upcoming zombie film called Survivors recommended this to me at Horror Con the other week, I think he said he was friends with the filmmakers, think I'll wait for the inevitable 1p zoverstocks purchase
It was £3 at Asda so it wasn't much of a risk.
Old 25th July 2015, 07:19 PM
Cult Addict

The Gallows.

Decided to give this a go at Manchester Odeon.

firstly I was quite surprised a found footage film was getting a theatrical run, then watching it I realised its at the better end of the spectrum for these types of film.
Essentially a school is preparing to stage a play called The Gallows, which was previously staged over 20 years previously (scary to think 93' is retro!) and resulted in the tragic accidental hanging of the main lead. The new lead for the upcoming version is the high school jock who has decided to quit football and take up acting. His ass-hole friend is unable to comprehend why so has also volunteered and is busy filming everything in the run up to the play.
The night before he manages to convince his friend to break in and trash the stage only for them both, along with their girlfriends, get trapped in the theatre with the ghost of the dead kid.
The Gallows is not the greatest thing ever, it has some major issues, especially in terms of character motivations, as well as the more traditional gripes with the film as to why they are filming everything. That said it has some scares, one or two effective ones, others the loud noise to make the audience jump variety. This ones probably best waiting for on home video though.

Split second.

Odd to see the mentions of THE BURNING as this ones by Tony Maylam as well! Set in the hellish future of 2008, as global warming has caused parts of london to flood, along with a resulting plague of rats. Detective Harley Stone is tracking a killer with occult motivations who is tearing peoples hearts out and eating them. Some time previously the killer had taken out Stones partner and he's out for revenge. He's assigned a new partner, Dick Durkin, to keep an eye on him as he's seen as something of a loose cannon wandering around London with huge guns. As the investigation progresses the pair discover that the killer might not be human!
While Split second is deeply unoriginal in terms of plot and character development, it's still worth a go for how much sheer bloody fun it is. The monster is great, the gore is well executed and we get to see Kim cattralls boobs back when she was young and hot! Perhaps the film could use a little more exposition but its an old VHS era favourite of mine that's still entertaining watching it today.
Old 25th July 2015, 07:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The Gallows.

Decided to give this a go at Manchester Odeon.

firstly I was quite surprised a found footage film was getting a theatrical run, then watching it I realised its at the better end of the spectrum for these types of film.
Essentially a school is preparing to stage a play called The Gallows, which was previously staged over 20 years previously (scary to think 93' is retro!) and resulted in the tragic accidental hanging of the main lead. The new lead for the upcoming version is the high school jock who has decided to quit football and take up acting. His ass-hole friend is unable to comprehend why so has also volunteered and is busy filming everything in the run up to the play.
The night before he manages to convince his friend to break in and trash the stage only for them both, along with their girlfriends, get trapped in the theatre with the ghost of the dead kid.
The Gallows is not the greatest thing ever, it has some major issues, especially in terms of character motivations, as well as the more traditional gripes with the film as to why they are filming everything. That said it has some scares, one or two effective ones, others the loud noise to make the audience jump variety. This ones probably best waiting for on home video though.
My other half really wants to go see this, I'm not arsed to be honest, so she's paying
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 25th July 2015, 07:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
My other half really wants to go see this, I'm not arsed to be honest, so she's paying
Its not bad... Its just I do wonder why people continue filming in these situations. With a little tweaking and some creativity it could have worked without the found footage angle. Again, one of the better ones.
Rik likes this.
Old 25th July 2015, 09:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437859278.371079.jpg

Story of young struggling actress that answers an ad in paper for a leading role in a film once she does strange things start to happen. Very well acted especially from the main star, atmospheric and has been mention has David lynch vibe to the film. Drags a little in the middle but make up for it in gore drenched final act and as Dem said it leaves you with a WTF have I watched feeling when the credits role. A very pleasant surprise. Moral of the story don't suck any strange old men's cocks no matter what they offer 8/10

Now watching it follows

Last edited by trebor8273; 25th July 2015 at 09:48 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!