Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th May 2014, 09:19 PM
Cult Addict

Night of the comet.

AKA Teenage comet Zombies.

An ultra low-budget B movie that slowly but surely became regarded as a classic sees most of the planet wiped out by a comet leaving all structures ect intact. Sort of like a neutron bomb. Except Neutron bombs don't leave a bunch of red dust and a certain portion of the population crazed zombies. Two valley girls and Chakote from Star Trek voyager must survive this depopulated future hounded by zombies and mad scientists.

Scream factory's disc is great quality and offers three separate commentary tracks and a whole bunch of extras. I first caught this many years back as part of Alex cox's moviedrome season, I'm fairly certain it was around the time they screened Terminator. Its pretty tame stuff in many respects but a great deal of fun.
Old 19th May 2014, 11:06 PM
Cult Addict

Megan is missing.

Low-fi assembly of 'found footage' depicting the abduction of two north hollywood teenage girls. Possibly one of the roughest films i've seen in a while the ending is possibly as nasty and difficult to watch as some of the August underground stuff.

Allegedly the intent is to highlight the dangers of teens meeting predators in internet chatrooms and the drug fuelled teen lifestyle is depicted unflinchingly.

A difficult watch.
Old 20th May 2014, 12:32 AM
Cult Addict

The strange colour of your body's tears

strange.jpg

Rented this Arthouse/Giallo hybrid from amazon.

I really enjoyed it but if you're looking for a story that makes sense you might as well forget it.
As with Amer by the same directors what we get is a film full of Giallo/horror style images that look stunning, interlaced with tunes lifted from cult films.

It's best to just let the film just wash over you, I thought i had the meaning all tied up for a moment near the end but then lost it again.
Definitely a film i will pick up when it hits dvd, and if you enjoyed Amer you should give this a watch, there's more dialogue in this but not enough to distract from the visuals.
The opening sequence titles and first main track really got a hold of me and as with Amer it's the interesting camerawork that gripped me, the music based scenes are beautiful and beguiling.
I also love all the architecture used that reminded me of early Argento films, and there are many nods to Giallo/ horror i noticed, notably What have you done to Solange?,Blood and black lace, New york Ripper, Macabre, House by the cemetery, Inferno, Tenebrae. (at least i think so anyway).
Sure it's style over substance but i can live with that.
I do think that if the filmmakers combined their style and visual sense with a slightly more coherent storyline we could have a real masterpiece on our hands one day.

Recommended 8.5

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 20th May 2014, 07:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Godzilla..(Gareth Edwards)

MOSTLY great. The final fight between Godzilla and the two mutos is frankly brilliant and a real treat for fans of Gojira.

It was however a little let down by the Call of duty fetishism that seems to infect any Hollywood picture with plenty of military hardware on display. I could live with it for most of the picture but then the US enacts a frankly baffling plan that involves them ignoring at least two key fact about the mutos and seems really puzzling until you realise its all to let the Us military play a part in the end monster rumble because why let Godzilla steal the thunder of these brave patriots.....

Sorry but I PAID TO SEE GODZILLA TRASH A CITY AND FIGHT MONSTERS.

To have the epic fight play partly as background noise for the medal of honour heroism is frankly a step too far and put me off loving the film.

Still worth watching but Pacific rim was better.
Just seen it and have to agree with everything you said, I went to see Godzilla kick ass and smash things, every time you thought it might it cuts back to the bloody yanks and there flag waving patriotism and sentimentality . Epic fight when Godzilla does fight and you can see it. With any luck we will get a sequel more about the monsters and less about how great America is. 7.5/10. Could of easily been a 9 if the whole call of duty America saves the world was toned down

Last edited by trebor8273; 21st May 2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 20th May 2014, 08:47 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
The strange colour of your body's tears

Attachment 136159

Rented this Arthouse/Giallo hybrid from amazon.

I really enjoyed it but if you're looking for a story that makes sense you might as well forget it.

As with Amer by the same directors what we get is a film full of Giallo/horror style images that look stunning, interlaced with tunes lifted from cult films.

It's best to just let the film just wash over you, I thought i had the meaning all tied up for a moment near the end but then lost it again.

Definitely a film i will pick up when it hits dvd, and if you enjoyed Amer you should give this a watch, there's more dialogue in this but not enough to distract from the visuals.

The opening sequence titles and first main track really got a hold of me and as with Amer it's the interesting camerawork that gripped me, the music based scenes are beautiful and beguiling.

I also love all the architecture used that reminded me of early Argento films, and there are many nods to Giallo/ horror i noticed, notably What have you done to Solange?,Blood and black lace, New york Ripper, Macabre, House by the cemetery, Inferno, Tenebrae. (at least i think so anyway).

Sure it's style over substance but i can live with that.

I do think that if the filmmakers combined their style and visual sense with a slightly more coherent storyline we could have a real masterpiece on our hands one day.

Recommended 8.5

Exactly what I thought about it! Favourite film of the year thus far for me.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 20th May 2014, 10:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)

Steve Martin and John Candy are in irrepressible form as they attempt to get from New York to Chicago for Thanksgiving.

Classic comedy from eighties maestro John Hughes. Still stands up nearly thirty years and many repeat viewings later due to a witty script and both laugh out loud visual gags and wonderful dialogue. Almost passes for fun for all the family were it not for Martin's expletive laden rant at the car rental agent. 18 f**ks in one minute - We're in Goodfellas territory here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Planes_trains_and_automobiles.jpg (31.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 21st May 2014, 08:26 AM
Active Cultist

Rob Zombie Horror Picture Show

Ok so not really a film more a visual experience, i was left slightly disappointed but mybe was expecting too much, the Disc came with no extras apart from a picture gallery, and ran for just over 80 mins, there was no booklet or anything.

Visually its good with only a couple of niggles, the big one for me was the use of what looked like mobile phone footage in some parts which for me isnt what i buy a Blu Ray to see, the vintage style sometimes used was fine, the other slight niggle was the fact that as it was recorded over two nights sometimes the intercutting of them nights means he isnt positioned correctly between takes which irks me.

Sound wise it is loud, had to turn my hifi down from normal settings but that wasnt a bad thing, some vocals are out of breath etc but its a high energy live show.

Big plus it has some nice titties on show, and even a girl that can jig her tits to the beat.

So all in all its good just wished for more.
Old 21st May 2014, 12:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Keeper (1976, T. Y. Drake)

Christopher Lee plays the titular villain. The hero is called Dick Driver. There is a comedy policeman (actually several, but he gets the most lines). Inept, shoddy and kind of embarrassing to watch, I loved this odd Canuck offering (from Lionsgate!!) unreservedly. At least I enjoyed it more than........

Parker (2013, Taylor Hackford)

I just felt that it wasn't Statham's kind of film really. Sequels abound though, so hopefully the next one will be a bit less Hollywood........I won't hold my breath though. Ho hum.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st May 2014, 04:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

A group of scientists are experimenting with a view screen that can see hours into the future. During the experiment things go wrong and the viewscreen becomes a time portal in which they can walk through to 170 years into the future. The Earth surface is a wasteland and they are chased by mutants until they are saved by the only humans left on the planet. The humans are building a rocket to another planet and need to leave before the mutants break into the complex. Not able to take the scientists,and with the original portal collapsed, they help them to try to build a new time portal before time runs out......

I found this very enjoyable. There are some good effects on show here that look like magic tricks and illusions. One of the mutants look to be played by a real life guy with hand deformities. There is also a good scene in the android factory where we see android workers being made. I believe that this film put the idea forward for the tv show 'Time Tunnel'.
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:32 PM
Active Cultist

Went to see the new X-Men today.
Very good, was great to see a comic book movie that wasn't dumbed down for kids, this was quite obviously aimed at adults.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!