The Big Lebowski
Boogie Nights
Capote
Magnolia
Almost Famous
Jack Goes Boating
The Master
Punch-Drunk Love
& The Invention Of Lying (I know his role is miniscule but still a great role!)

What Philip Seymour films should I watch next?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big_lebowski_ver1_xlg.jpg (97.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 280855.1020.A.jpg (67.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg capote_xlg.jpg (91.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Magnolia poster.jpg (96.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg almost_famous.jpg (96.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Rendez-vous-l-ete-prochain-film-Jack-Goes-Boating-affiche-01.jpg (100.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg the-master-poster1.jpg (77.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg punch_drunk_love.jpg (45.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_-_The_Invention_of_Lying_Movie_Poster.jpg (95.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 10th February 2014, 07:19 AM
Active Cultist

Love and a 45 - Watched this film back when i was 16-18 a few times but lost my copy of it, a great little indie flick starring a young Rennee Zellweger some funny bits just felt the bad guy was too thick to be any kind of a threat.

Kalifornia - Another film from my youth, Brad Pitt is brilliant in this film and for me this was a great underrated film.
Old 10th February 2014, 11:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I must be the only person who didn't like Avatar. I find it the most overrated film ever. It's all been done before. Effects were good, but it was just a case of style over substance.
I hate Dances With Smurfs as well...so yr nae alone....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th February 2014, 11:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Red Monks (Gianni Martucci, 1988)

Finally watched this at weekend. In parts a love letter to Hammer imo, there is also the fakest spider I've seen in years cough. Aaaanyhow, after a whirlwind romance, we move into territory which seems determined to mine the the rare vein of Rebecca/Buio Omega crossovers! Ahem. All in all, a great use of locations rises this above potboiler status. And yes, it looks far better than I expected it to (coming from Hargore as it did).

Happiness (Todd Solondz, 1998).
"...I just jerk off....". Still a hard watch after all these years, Vogel and co could learn a thing or three from the Todd....less is more people! It's what you don't see that creates fear/revulsion etc......

Evil Dead (2013, some hack)
Boring and mean sprited it remains. Makes me think fondly of Graduation Day (aka The Mangler 2).

Kill List (Ben Wheatley, 2010) (With actors comm). The three main leads have a laugh reminiscing this shoot. With and without revealing too much....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th February 2014, 12:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Also watched In Bruges (Martin McDonagh, 2008). I just don't like Farrell. And Fiennes obviously watched Green Street in preparation for his role cough. Meh. Should have just watched the superior The Guard again. C'est la vie!!

[B]
Old 10th February 2014, 02:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

The Expendables- Lots of explosions and shit (plus far too much Dolph Lundgren)

Kill Bill Vol1- Lots of katana slicings and shit (plus far too many close ups of Uma Thurman's God awful feet!)
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 10th February 2014, 02:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

KFZ Kentucky Fried Zombies. (2008)

KFZ is a real oddity of a film, i can imagine it being marmite viewing for most with more haters than lovers if i'm honest. It's a film that toes a fine line between natural dialogue and quirky humour without ever falling over into the plain daft. It is quite slow moving and there isn't much in the way of conventional zombie action until the last fifteen minutes. It is however a film that steers clear of the typical zombie film cliches and gives the discerning viewer a rewarding experience.

The film isn't perfect by any means. The lead actor Josh Grote desperately wants to be Ed Norton in his portrayal of serial killer Ken, and as mentioned the films lack of zombie mayhem, probably due to it's minuscule budget, means there are large swathes of screen time taken up by dialogue.

The film's publicity dept try and tempt the viewers by stating it to be a cross between Pulp Fiction and Zombieland. I do see slight similarities with Tarantion's film as it's set in a roadside diner just like the opening and ending of Pulp Fiction, but Zombieland - no sorry, nothing like it at all, besides KFZ is a far more innovative film than the 2009 popcorn muncher.

On the whole though KFZ has three largely believable characters who keep the viewer entertained for the whole of the meagre 70 min running time, making it something of a low budget gem for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Er589.jpg (87.6 KB, 3 views)
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 10th February 2014, 02:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
The Expendables- Lots of explosions and shit (plus far too much Dolph Lundgren)

Kill Bill Vol1- Lots of katana slicings and shit (plus far too many close ups of Uma Thurman's God awful feet!)
Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom - Lots of shit and shit (plus far too much shit).

Eat your heart out Rik.
Old 10th February 2014, 03:14 PM
Cult Addict

MUTANTS. Being off work with a virus, I thought I'd give this Teardrop and Demdike recommend film a go. Glad I did. Excellent stuff, can't really add any more to what has already been said. Worth a look.

WAXWORK. Popular 80s horror that is so bloody strange and distant from the viewer, I have no idea what to make of it. Every scene feels beamed in from a reality that is bigger and bolder than our own and possibly controlled by early MTV. I really enjoyed it, especially all the mad emphasis on cigarettes and smoking.

CROPSEY. Here's one for true crime and THE BURNING fans alike. Two documentary film makers from Staten Island, New York start out making a film about urban legends which quickly turns into a documentary about child murder, Satanism and the soul of Staten Island. Worth a look, I watched it on NetFlix.
Old 10th February 2014, 03:18 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom - Lots of shit and shit (plus far too much shit).

Eat your heart out Rik.
I think young Rik is trying to ape my recent action/martial arts reviews but sadly lacks the skill and depth of vision I bring to the genre.

Like this? Share it using the links below!