Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2014, 07:34 PM
Cult Addict

Cheers.
Old 6th January 2014, 10:16 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

SIXTEEN CANDLES. Often overlooked John Hughes, teen comedy about first love. Watch it, you will feel better in yourself.
Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 6th January 2014, 11:23 PM
Cult Addict

Time Bandits.

Still a damn classic. The wild flight of fantasy that is Gilliam's concept with Michael Palin's wonderfully written characters and the excellent cast all combine to make a film that's up there with Labyrinth as a childhood favorite of mine. Highlights for me have always been the showdown with evil and Ian Holme's wonderful take on Napoleon. Arrows 2k restoration looks bloody gorgeous as well.

Devil's Express

New York martial artist Warhawk Tanzania (great name!) heads over to Hong Kong with his mate to brush up on their Kung Fu Skills. Unwittingly they bring back an ancient chinese demon to New York which starts terrorizing the subways and it's up to Warhawk to kick it's ass. I've wanted to see this one for some years now ever since Code red began trailering it on some of their discs. I'm glad to say the actual film didn't let me down. Tons of fun that I aim to be a regular viewing!

The Big Gundown]

Simply f*****g awesome western with Lee van Cleef and Thomas milian as Hunter and Hunted. Interestingly Milian describes approaching his Mexican bandit character as a rabbit and the whole thing has a more serious edge of Bugs bunny vs Elmer Fudd as milian constantly outwits Van Cleef's bad-ass. This isn't to sell the film short in any way. It's genuinely gripping and looks fabulous on Blu-ray. Grindhouses set comes with the original soundtrack (which is blaring out as I type this) the origional Italian cut of the film and a whole bunch of extras. Need to look at ordering more spag westerns as soon as i'm done with the epic amount I have lying around the house. Did order Django kill Blu-ray though.
Old 7th January 2014, 09:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I never saw what the big deal with Time Bandits was! I love the cast, but that's all it seemed to have going for it. It was an okay adventure film, but not as funny as it thinks it is. It's just okay in my opinion.

Ive never seen the rest of the films you posted
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 7th January 2014, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Over the past 2 weeks:
From Beyond: absolutely fantastic horror film.
Basketcase: Enjoyed it for the stop motion sequences.
Big Ass Spider: Hated it
The Room: Surprisingly it was an enjoyable watch, Tommy Wiseau had a good idea with this one but the one problem with it is the dialogue.
Repo: The Genetic Opera: Hated the songs, but still liked it for what it is
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 7th January 2014, 11:23 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I never saw what the big deal with Time Bandits was! I love the cast, but that's all it seemed to have going for it. It was an okay adventure film, but not as funny as it thinks it is. It's just okay in my opinion.

Ive never seen the rest of the films you posted
I agree with you on Time Bandits. I find it quite boring. I like the Python films, A Fish Called Wanda, Ripping Yarns and adore A Private Function, so its not that i'm averse to this quirky style of British humour. I just don't like Time Bandits....or Jabberwocky.
Old 7th January 2014, 02:33 PM
Active Cultist

Watched Cabin Fever last night, i'm going to have to watch it again, i went in expecting a serious Horror which i got some of the time but the comedy elements totally threw me off, especially the Policeman and the Kung Fu Pancake kid, did laugh at the harmonica scene though me and the missus went to bed chuckling to that, but yeah was seriously WTF sometimes with it all.
Old 7th January 2014, 03:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I agree with you on Time Bandits. I find it quite boring. I like the Python films, A Fish Called Wanda, Ripping Yarns and adore A Private Function, so its not that i'm averse to this quirky style of British humour. I just don't like Time Bandits....or Jabberwocky.
Its just a matter of taste really. Ive always thought a fish called wanda was s**t myself and couldnt get into a private function either
SShaw and anythinggoes78 like this.
Old 7th January 2014, 07:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

So Arrow Fest continued last night with Codename: Wild Geese which pales in comparison with the film it accompanies. Tonight it was the turn of Red Scorpion which I quite like.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th January 2014, 01:45 AM
Cult Addict

Suburbia

sub.jpg

Watched this tonight, pretty bad copy but seems sort of appropriate for the film, remember seeing the VHS about when i was young and always fancied watching it.
I quite liked it. follows a bunch of 80's punks around, a group of disillusioned kids with nothing better to do who live in a squat in early 80's america, is on the side of the kids who are portrayed as drop outs because they have to be.
I know it's kind of one sided but the alternative 'straight' americans are all as*holes, who don't get where the kids are coming from. and i felt the ending was sort of obvious and didn't lead anywhere.
Still i enjoyed it, but you'd probably need to be appreciative of punk culture to enjoy it. if so go for it.
At least it's more realistic than 'Class of 84' .
Oh and it features flea from Red hot chili peppers if u like that sort of thing.
8/10
Frankie Teardrop and sawyer6 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!