Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2014, 12:02 AM
Cult Addict

Oh and i think the thing that kept drawing me out 'Only god forgives' was the fact that the dude kept drawing his sword from nowhere.
Or maybe i missed something.
Also it was dedicated to Alejandro Jodorowsky which i appreciate but his films are Wall to Wall sybolism and insanity whereas this film is pretty simple in comparison.
I need to watch it again soon, so thats usually a good sign.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 6th January 2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 6th January 2014, 12:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Are you talkin' bout Pink Floyds 'The Wall" coz if u r i once watched that on acid back when i did that sort of stuff. things got a bit hairy round the shaving nipples off, maggot stage. great film though.
Yes. I came away slightly disappointed, but I guess in that respect the film is very much like the album - genius occasionally with some filler. The animated sequences are outstanding, but the overall narrative structure doesn't really lead anywhere. Some parts are clearly autobiographical, but I don't know enough about Waters to really understand which, and I guess the overall lack of cohesion comes from a clash between Waters and director Parker. The film is probably best enjoyed by embracing its lack of cohesion and watching it as a series of hallucinogenic images - I'm guessing some acid might help here.

Its easy to see why, after the success of Bowies and The Who's forays into concept albums/film, The Wall pretty much killed the genre. Although the concept album still rears its head from time to time (more recently I really enjoyed MCR"s The Black Parade album - its perhaps a shame there is no accompanying movie).

I finished the evening with a dose of cheesy 80's action with The Wild Geese part three of my Arrow season.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 6th January 2014, 12:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I'm currently enjoying Creepshow 2. Old chief Wooden Head just sorted shit out. Now on to my favorite - The Raft... Bin Liners will never be the same again...
Old 6th January 2014, 12:32 AM
Cult Addict

Thats my favourite too,nice one.
Vipp likes this.
Old 6th January 2014, 12:43 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Yep noticed that in cockpit scene looked they were just holding cardboard props, which totally spoiled the scene. Would of looked 100 times better if they had cut that part off.

Might give more of his movies a try, any recommendations?
Personally i really enjoyed 'Glen and Glenda" but i think im alone on that one, i thought it was really ahead of it's time.
'Pull the strings"
Old 6th January 2014, 12:58 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Yes. I came away slightly disappointed, but I guess in that respect the film is very much like the album - genius occasionally with some filler. The animated sequences are outstanding, but the overall narrative structure doesn't really lead anywhere. Some parts are clearly autobiographical, but I don't know enough about Waters to really understand which, and I guess the overall lack of cohesion comes from a clash between Waters and director Parker. The film is probably best enjoyed by embracing its lack of cohesion and watching it as a series of hallucinogenic images - I'm guessing some acid might help here.

Its easy to see why, after the success of Bowies and The Who's forays into concept albums/film, The Wall pretty much killed the genre. Although the concept album still rears its head from time to time (more recently I really enjoyed MCR"s The Black Parade album - its perhaps a shame there is no accompanying movie).
I finished the evening with a dose of cheesy 80's action with The Wild Geese part three of my Arrow season.
I think the main thing that killed the concept album is that most modern artists(cough) dont have any ideas,let alone a concept.
Old 6th January 2014, 01:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Personally i really enjoyed 'Glen and Glenda" but i think im alone on that one, i thought it was really ahead of it's time.
'Pull the strings"
Youre not alone. Great film.
Rondadoronron likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th January 2014, 04:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Oh and i think the thing that kept drawing me out 'Only god forgives' was the fact that the dude kept drawing his sword from nowhere.
Or maybe i missed something.
Also it was dedicated to Alejandro Jodorowsky which i appreciate but his films are Wall to Wall sybolism and insanity whereas this film is pretty simple in comparison.
I need to watch it again soon, so thats usually a good sign.
I was the opposite with Only God Forgives. I found it the most boring, pointless film ever! It's one of the worst films I've seen in quite a while!
keirarts and sjconstable like this.
Old 6th January 2014, 05:08 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Don't tend to post often here, knee deep in uni assignments still. Did manage to have a blind watch double feature of Possession (1981) with Come And See (1985). Did I feel like a convoy of trucks hit me after watching both? Yes, but every now and then I love to watch films which take me on a real cinematic nightmare ride; both offered that and then some. Both are easily in my Top 100 or so favourites now.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 6th January 2014, 06:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
by the way how do you spell definately?
It's spelt 'definitely'.

Like this? Share it using the links below!