Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2014, 03:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
If you get chance, I strongly recommend you give Hatchet III a go. I wasn't too keen on Hatchet II but III was good fun.

EDIT: Hahaha, just noticed I've replied to a post that's nearly 2 years old. My bad!
I also thought Hatchet II was a couple of notches down from the first one.

I'll check out Hatchet III sooner rather than later. Glad to hear its a step up.
Old 5th January 2014, 03:56 PM
Active Cultist

I think it helps that I went into it expecting the worst. I'm now suddenly really worried that it's awful and I was just in a good mood when I watched it haha.

As for what I've seen recently, I re-watched Jake West's documentary on Video Nasties last night for the ump-teenth time. In fact that's partly why I'm back on here after over a year away!
Old 5th January 2014, 05:18 PM
Cult Addict

OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN. Shit blows up. I enjoyed it, it made doing the ironing fly by.
Old 5th January 2014, 05:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Daimajin.

Not your usual Japanese monsters movie for the first 2/3rds it's a straight out samurai movie, with some lovely scenery and what to me looked authentic costumes and sets. The last part of the movie is where daimajin come alive and goes on a rampage. But for a film nearly 50 years old the effects still hold up and in some places the action is quite gruesome with daimajin driving a giant spike through one guy( but in all honesty he deserved it) and another being crushed underfoot. A strange mix of genres but I enjoyed and and look forward to the other two movies in set. 8/10

Plan nine from outer space

First time seeing this "classic" and it is the movie that defines it's so bad it's good. Awful acting and dialogue, laughable special effects and props. terrible editing. But some how I couldn't stop watching it and ended up enjoying it because of all it's flaws. A film that should be showing to film students in how not to make a film. This is a difficult one to rate because it's so bad but it's also so much fun.

Next up nightmare city blu ray which I will comment on picture quality etc, but I will still be getting arrows version as well when it's out

Last edited by trebor8273; 5th January 2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 5th January 2014, 07:00 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Did any strange "artefacts" pop up in the "cockpit scene" (I think right after they spot the saucer) on the blu Trebor?
Also did you watch it zoomed to it's OAR,because many things look a lot better then,like the cockpit steering wheels.
Old 5th January 2014, 07:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Did any strange "artefacts" pop up in the "cockpit scene" (I think right after they spot the saucer) on the blu Trebor?
Also did you watch it zoomed to it's OAR,because many things look a lot better then,like the cockpit steering wheels.
Yep noticed that in cockpit scene looked they were just holding cardboard props, which totally spoiled the scene. Would of looked 100 times better if they had cut that part off.

Might give more of his movies a try, any recommendations?
Old 5th January 2014, 07:08 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

It was designed to be framed so wouldn't see the cardboard (or whatever) stuff.
The blu is "open matte".

My favourite Wood films are Jail Bait (more serious) and Night of the Ghouls (more crazy).
Old 5th January 2014, 09:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Thale (2012).

I felt a little duped by the artwork and company blurb after watching Norwegian fantasy horror Thale (pronounced Tal, as in pal). I was led to believe that the film would basically be Narnia gone horror with wood nymphs running round the forests of Norway. Troll Hunter with even more folklore and mythical creatures. Indeed during the last fifteen minutes this scenario is certainly the case and very enjoyable it is too. However the opening hour is filled with two blokes sat in a basement with a mute girl. Some of the scenes are disturbing and fascinating whilst others are just plain dull.

The film is well acted by the three main protagonists, but the low budget is evident by the limited locations during the first hour.

So whilst i enjoyed the film, my expectations in a way spoilt it. Thale is certainly no Troll Hunter nor is it anywhere near as good as the brilliant Rare Exports. I would have liked a little more style over substance in this case. A second viewing may make me feel differently
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thale.jpg (79.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 5th January 2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 5th January 2014, 09:33 PM
Cult Addict

DEMONS NEVER DIE. Brit slasher about a group of school kids who have a suicide pact but start getting killed off before they can top themselves. A bit like Hollyoaks with less murders.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 5th January 2014, 09:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Anyone else seen Thale that disagrees with me?

Just wondered if i was on my own and others found it to be a masterpiece.

Like this? Share it using the links below!