Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2013, 12:11 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I've only seen the first three films from the Saw franchise. The original is pretty solid (some sloppy dialogue aside), the second was average, and I didn't care too much for the third... it started stretching the story to increasingly absurd limits just as an excuse to get lots of innovative 'trap deaths' shoe-horned in - which is how I felt about The Collector.

I have no desire (at present) to check out any more of the Saw films.
Old 6th April 2013, 01:26 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

You really should imho BE as they're not bad at all (there's many twists and turns as the franchise gradually turns into a dark thriller series) except for 7 (3D) which I found very disappointing and not the ending I envisioned at all.
I hope there will be an 8 to rectify this and make 7 into just another part where nothing was like it seemed.
Old 6th April 2013, 02:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Frankenweenie.....nice film from Tim Burton. I do prefer stop motion compared to computer animated films as I feel they create more depth. The score is lovely as well.
trebor8273 and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 6th April 2013, 03:26 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
You really should imho BE as they're not bad at all (there's many twists and turns as the franchise gradually turns into a dark thriller series) except for 7 (3D) which I found very disappointing and not the ending I envisioned at all.
I hope there will be an 8 to rectify this and make 7 into just another part where nothing was like it seemed.
The fourth one was good and an interesting way of continuing the trilogy after the error of giving your charismatic antagonist a terminal illness but the fifth part was like a poor TV movie as far as I'm concerned. The sixth was ok but still stretches credibility to breaking point and the seventh was dismal.
Old 6th April 2013, 03:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe

Originally free with PlayNation I have had a copy on two different occasions, lent it out and lost it. I picked it up again today in the British Heart Foundation for 99p and this copy is going nowhere!

This has to be one of my favourite daikaijû with it's Chemical Brothers-lite-alike music and it's schoolgirl heroine over-dubbed with the voice of a 26 year old bored Essex shoe sales woman.

Favourite moment; when Gamera is ripping the roof off of the Tokyo baseball stadium and a soldier screams "Go home, there's nothing to see here!" just the usual everyday goings on in urban Japan, eh?

RedEyeTheCylon and Hawkmonger like this.

Monster Magnet
Old 6th April 2013, 03:50 PM
Active Cultist

Not a film, but I just finished up Twin Peaks. It's the most unique television show I've ever seen. It's a soap opera, it's a comedy, it's a mystery, it's a thriller, it's surreal, it's David Lynch. It's awesome.
Old 6th April 2013, 04:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

'Fistful of Dollars' + all the extras. The filmed by someone else, made for tv prologue is terrible! Thankfully it was only ever broadcast once!
Great film, I'd forgotten how dark and violent it is. Going to try and watch 'For a Few Dollars More' this week.
Old 6th April 2013, 04:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Godfather 2 and a Documentary on Ed Gein.
Great stuff both of them
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 6th April 2013, 09:10 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
The Godfather 2 and a Documentary on Ed Gein.
Great stuff both of them
Ed Gein is an interesting fellow. The nipple belt is one of the more bizarre things I've ever heard of.
Old 6th April 2013, 10:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Sci-fi vampire hokum. Thoroughly enjoyed it and a couple of the featurettes on the disc, great value at £3 in Tesco.

Monster Magnet

Like this? Share it using the links below!