Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:04 PM
Ex-member

Rambo: First Blood - classic.
Drag Me To Hell - best horror of 2009 fantastic.
Rambo: First Blood - Part II - another classic.
Gandhi - superb film one of the best ever made.
My Soul To Take - nothing original but very enjoyable.
Rambo III - very underrated
The Grey - a bit disappointed with this i mean it was good but it could of been better, nothing original again but definitely worth a watch especially if your a fan of Liam Neeson as he is fantastic as always.
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory - classic
Straw Dogs (2011) - i was pleasantly surprised with this as the last American remake of a British classic i watched was The Wicker Man and the least said about that pile of shit the better but i enjoyed it and thought it was adapted well,
The acting was good and i always enjoy James Woods.
troggi likes this.
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicbomb View Post
Drag Me To Hell - best horror of 2009 fantastic.
In the 2009 stakes, I preferred House of the Devil, Pontypool, Thirst, Triangle, and Trick 'r Treat. Not a bad year for horror, that . . .
troggi likes this.
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Finally watched Skyfall. Pretty enjoyable stuff, though I'm not sure I'd rate it as highly as all the critics seemed to on release. I felt there were some pacing issues, could've done with another major action sequence to rival the opening bike/train chase. Not sure it was wise to introduce Javier Bardem's villain a good 45 minutes into the film - would've liked a few more scenes with him. I was also distracted by some dodgy plotting - mainly Silva's ludicrously convoluted plot to kill M in London, which seemed to hinge mainly on a load of good luck and coincidence! But on the plus side, Roger Deakins did his usual sterling work to make everything look gorgeous throughout, and I was surprised how well Thomas Newman's score worked. Defintely looking forward to the next one now they have set everything up for a 'classic' Bond adventure . . .
I think Javier Bardem is up there with Christopher Lee and Yaphet Kotto, he makes a superb Bond villain. The thing that irked me the most were the attempts to demystify Bond by revealing more about his childhood etc
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
In the 2009 stakes, I preferred House of the Devil, Pontypool, Thirst, Triangle, and Trick 'r Treat. Not a bad year for horror, that . . .
House of the Devil and Amer for me. Outstanding films and two of my favs of that year.

I didn't like Drag me to Hell at all. Was disappointed by Thirst and Trick 'r Treat, and didn't like Triangle at all.

Back to Metallicbomb's list though, I really enjoyed The Grey. It was one where I expected little, but thought it was highly entertaining and a damn fine cinema trip!
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
I think Javier Bardem is up there with Christopher Lee and Yaphet Kotto, he makes a superb Bond villain. The thing that irked me the most were the attempts to demystify Bond by revealing more about his childhood etc
Yeah I think I agree with you. I thought that whole climactic scene at Skyfall was a bit weak. Just seemed silly that you'd have the head of MI6 hiding in a remote house with one agent and an old man, knowing a baddie and his ARMY were going to turn up to kill them. I was thinking how the British press would have a field day with all of it after the event . . .
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Was disappointed by Thirst
Damn! I think it's Park Chan Wook's best film, it's the one I've come back to the most, at least . . .

EDIT: I forgot Amer. That would be my number 2 after Pontypool . . .
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Yeah I think I agree with you. I thought that whole climactic scene at Skyfall was a bit weak. Just seemed silly that you'd have the head of MI6 hiding in a remote house with one agent and an old man, knowing a baddie and his ARMY were going to turn up to kill them. I was thinking how the British press would have a field day with all of it after the event . . .
Imagine being the poor sod who had bought Bonds house. I wonder if insurance would cover that?!
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Imagine being the poor sod who had bought Bonds house. I wonder if insurance would cover that?!
And what about poor Kincade?! I'd imagine he's a tad more emotionally invested in the estate he's worked MOST OF HIS LIFE, casually destroyed by a jumped up little sod who spent a few childhood years there . . .
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
And what about poor Kincade?! I'd imagine he's a tad more emotionally invested in the estate he's worked MOST OF HIS LIFE, casually destroyed by a jumped up little sod who spent a few childhood years there . . .
All those years up in smoke...it was a nice house as well and probably worth a few quid. On the plus side it was probably the chief executive of some bank that bought it so I dont feel as bad. In fact It gives me a nice warm feeling to think of Bob diamond or Fred Goodwin turning up to see the smoking wreck..... yeah kincades the main victim imo!
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:52 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Well i personally class Triangle more as a Mystery/Thriller & Thirst as a Drama but both are great films. I haven't seen House Of The Devil or Pontypool and i like Trick 'R Treat but i prefer Drag Me To Hell.

Like this? Share it using the links below!