Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2013, 09:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I went to see the Purge last night it was a decent watch but!
The film industry has been crying out for something new and fresh, the purge is a film about where there is no crime because one night a year for 12 hrs there is no law and people can do what ever they want and purge themselves, i thought great something different and this could be a film that the industry has been looking for instead of churning out sequels just to cash in or totally pointless remakes, but sadly I felt it didn't deliver, I thought it would do exactly as it say on the tin and you would see people wreaking havoc, killing each other, rioting etc etc the story line was something different and new and could have used it to their potential but instead they went down the route of a film you've seen done before lots of times, Assualt of precinct 13, Straw dogs are two eg, the film concentrated purely on one family where they locked down their house someone turns up wanting in seeking help, the son lets him in and then those outside fight to get to him and the family fight to protect him and themselves, I feel such a great idea to create something new and stand out from the crowd become such a wasted opportunity,
troggi likes this.
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
The Mission (1986) Hmm! Not seen it before! Kind of expected more.
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (2012) WTF! What next? 'Adolf Hitler Kindergarten Teacher'
Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) WTF! (again). What happened to this franchise? The first one I liked but from then on it just went all downhill!
I don't know about "The Mission" but I can't get excited about "Abraham van Helsing" either. As for "Resident Evil: Retribution" I completely agree, it needs a shot of something to wake the franchise up, just don't take Milla Jovovich out of it is my plea.

Anyway I got around to watching "Lords of Salem" last night. I can't be called a Rob Zombie fan, I'm for Alice Cooper through and through! As I posted a few days ago I picked up a pristine copy of "Lords of Salem" in a charity shop for £2.49 and thought "well, it'll do when I get to the end of the heap!" "The Daughter of Darkness," Katherine, who is a horror film fan of the highest degree said, "watch it with an open mind! you'll be surprised!" So I did and I was! It's a terrific flick, the film that "Rosemary's Baby" should have been if it had been made today! The casting of Judy Geeson, Patricia Quinn
Patricia Quinn and Dee Wallace was almost a touch of genius, a word I don't use lightly, and, I might add, Mrs Zombie was excellent in the lead roll.

I was a (happily?) disturbed troggi at the end and I want to do my study out like "Heidi's" bedroom, awesome wall-art.

Rating 16/10 for surprise, style and wall-art.

Monster Magnet
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I was toying with seeing The Purge, but was put off by the poster's selling line "From the producers of Insidious and Sinister." I know those films had their fans, but I wasn't one of them.

So I went and saw Byzantium instead. I'm not a fan of Neil Jordan, I'll admit that straight off. And this was exactly what I expected; a tasteful, glossy vampire pic about a pair of vampires - mother (Gemma Arterton) and daugher (Saoirse Ronan) - on the run from their ancient brotherhood. Kudos for being a rather more extreme 15 rated film, with liberal dashings of bloody violence and sexual content, and it has some nice cinematography too, but as usual Neil Jordan's films leave me cold. They always feel like a whole lot of surface, and appear too self conscious for my liking.

It held my attention, mainly the glossy visuals and a rather impressive performance (as usual) from Saoirse Ronan, but as usual I'm left cold by Neil Jordan.
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ive never seen either of those two films so didn't bother me, purge isn't a bad film was a decent watch just a wasted oppurtunity to be something better and different.
troggi likes this.
Old 2nd June 2013, 02:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Evidence (2011)

Another found footage film about four friends who go off into the woods to make their own handheld cam documentary. Ho hum.

But wait!

Evidence is nothing like any other found footage film i've seen previously. For a start the young cast are slightly more believable than usual which is always a help, rather than the constant bickering and in fighting they are clearly friends.

Then about half way through the films slender 77 minute run time things take a turn. A turn i never predicted or could have guessed. Even as the film's end credits roll you'll find yourself gripped to work out exactly what is going on.

I'm not going to spoil anything here, but to anyone who has ever liked a found footage film i would recommend this. You may even jump in your seat a couple of times like i did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Evidence-2011-Movie-Poster.jpg (99.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 2nd June 2013, 02:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Evidence (2011)

Another found footage film about four friends who go off into the woods to make their own handheld cam documentary. Ho hum.

But wait!

Evidence is nothing like any other found footage film i've seen previously. For a start the young cast are slightly more believable than usual which is always a help, rather than the constant bickering and in fighting they are clearly friends.

Then about half way through the films slender 77 minute run time things take a turn. A turn i never predicted or could have guessed. Even as the film's end credits roll you'll find yourself gripped to work out exactly what is going on.

I'm not going to spoil anything here, but to anyone who has ever liked a found footage film i would recommend this.
I really enjoyed Evidence. Had little interest, until a friend recommended it after a festival screening, so I gave it a shot - and indeed as far as found footage films go, it's one of the more inventive and effective ones I've seen in a long old time. And it snuck out straight to DVD a while back with barely a word.

One of those better-than-you-would-expect films.
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 2nd June 2013, 03:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Felt like watching the guy that inspired me to pick up a guitar 20 years ago, so today I watched these two

bdc, Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 2nd June 2013, 06:01 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Taken 2

...zzzzzz...I was taken too for the price of the rental
Invid Ninja and troggi like this.
Old 2nd June 2013, 06:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Felt like watching the guy that inspired me to pick up a guitar 20 years ago, so today I watched these two

Hendrix will always inspire kids to pick up guitars. I only hope that his premature death inspires them to keep playing guitar and not with the "other stuff". I have no musical or artistic talent myself and I am envious of people, like Rik here, who do have talent because to keep that talent fresh takes dedication and hard work.

To you Rik
Rik likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Finally watched Skyfall. Pretty enjoyable stuff, though I'm not sure I'd rate it as highly as all the critics seemed to on release. I felt there were some pacing issues, could've done with another major action sequence to rival the opening bike/train chase. Not sure it was wise to introduce Javier Bardem's villain a good 45 minutes into the film - would've liked a few more scenes with him. I was also distracted by some dodgy plotting - mainly Silva's ludicrously convoluted plot to kill M in London, which seemed to hinge mainly on a load of good luck and coincidence! But on the plus side, Roger Deakins did his usual sterling work to make everything look gorgeous throughout, and I was surprised how well Thomas Newman's score worked. Defintely looking forward to the next one now they have set everything up for a 'classic' Bond adventure . . .

Like this? Share it using the links below!