LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th March 2014, 05:52 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yesterday I watched.....

ESCAPE PLAN-Sly and Arnie still got it!
Not as active as they used to be (obviously!) but it was still an entertaining action romp.

WHITE DOG-What a treat! A cracking,tense thriller with a superb Morricone score which looks and sounds fantastic on the MOC Blu Ray.
What the hell were they thinking trying to bury this film?
Buy it now!

DOGS-The mutt theme continues.Nowhere near as glorious as the above,but Scorpion's new HD transfer looks a treat compared to those shabby German hardbox transfers!

BAD GRANDPA-Some hilarious gags from Knoxville and co,really hilarious and some of the set pieces were (literally) toilet humour.
There's more than one tears to the eyes sequences though....
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 24th March 2014, 06:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Day of the beast (El dia de la bestia)

Very funny and enjoyable film about a priest who is convinced the birth of the antichrist is about to happen on Christmas Day in Madrid and sets out to stop it, convinced the way to do this is to became a servant of satan so he will tell him when and where this will happen. Along the way he is joined in his quest by a hilariously funny heavy metal fan and tv occultist. As you watch the film you don't know if the priest is deranged or there is something more sinister going on. 9/10

Dr No

The film that started a screen legend. So many highlights in this classic, the first time we meet bond and he says his name and of course that scene with Ursula Andress coming out of the water is and always will be a classic of film. It looks stunning on blu ray and is one of those films I show to people who say what's the point of bring old film to blu ray. 9/10

Next up beyond the door which I have not seen before.

Last edited by trebor8273; 24th March 2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 24th March 2014, 06:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Wishmaster (1997)

Once, in a time before time, God breathed life into the universe. And the light gave birth to Angels. And the earth gave birth to Man. And the fire gave birth to the Djinn, creatures condemned to dwell in the void between the worlds. One who wakes a Djinn will be given three wishes. Upon the granting of the third, the unholy legions of the Djinn will be freed to rule the earth. Fear one thing in all there is...Fear the Djinn.

I first saw Wishmaster back in 97 on it's initial cinema run and loved it. Now, getting on for twenty years later and several viewings down the line, it's still a rollicking bit of horror hi-jinks.

Featuring some nice cameo's from the likes of Tony Todd, Robert Englund, Joseph Pilato and Kane Hodder, Wishmaster is a fast moving, to the point of being breathless affair, that's full on gory horror from the start and never lets up for the remainder of its ninety minutes run time. Andrew Divoff gives the Djinn a sinister personality that occasionally veers a little much into executive producer Wes Craven's Freddy Kruger area of wisecracking but that's just a minor gripe in what is a thoroughly entertaining film.

The film boasts some lovely scenes of horror and violence allowing KNB fx duo Nicotero and Berger to run riot during the Djinn's orgies of carnage, coming up with many varied ways of slaughtering cast members and extras alike in this oft forgotten horror fantasy spectacular.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_120524_b22b4ebe.jpg (32.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 24th March 2014, 07:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1952:
The Greatest Show on Earth - Won Best Picture at the Oscars
Affair in Trinidad - After Gilda this was another attempt to put Glenn Ford and Rita Hayworth together. Not too sure on this one it sounds like a melodrama but turns into a spy story.
High Noon - Classic!
Forbidden Games - Won the BAFTA in 1954 for Best Film from any source/Foreign language. Wasn't such a bad movie either.
Singin' in the Rain - Have to say first time seeing this and I really enjoyed it. Nice little potted history of early cinema going on!
Tarzan's Savage Fury - Wasn't much savagry going on in Lex barkers penultimate film in the role, although Jane was rather nice to look at.
The Sound Barrier - Great British post war movie!
Old 24th March 2014, 07:49 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
From 1952:
The Greatest Show on Earth - Won Best Picture at the Oscars
Singin' in the Rain - Have to say first time seeing this and I really enjoyed it. Nice little potted history of early cinema going on!
The Greatest Show on Earth is one of the weakest films to win the Best Picture Oscar, whereas Singin' in the Rain is one of the greatest films ever made and should have been recognised by the Academy.
JoshuaKaitlyn likes this.
Old 24th March 2014, 08:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Beyond the door

Was going to stop watching this not too far into it but glad I didn't it might be unintentional funny in places and some of the actors dubbing is pretty bad and it is a obvious rip off of the exorcist. But as it goes on it has a very disturbing atmosphere all of its own and Juliet mills gives a excellent and terrifying performance at times. 7.5/10

Now watching blood and black lace from the small amount I have seen, think I will enjoy this one immensely.
Old 24th March 2014, 08:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The Greatest Show on Earth is one of the weakest films to win the Best Picture Oscar, whereas Singin' in the Rain is one of the greatest films ever made and should have been recognised by the Academy.
Couldn't agree more!
Old 24th March 2014, 09:35 PM
Cult Addict

Videodrome.

Done a review in cult labs reviews thread.

Vampire in Venice.
vampire in venice.jpg

Bit of a mixed bag this one. It looks superb, i'd heard mixed things about the transfer but its fine (sound mix not so much). The film itself gets a lot of bad press, and deservedly so as its languid pacing and artsy style can be off putting to many. Kinski is a little too old and bloated to play the count...

BUT

I still enjoy this flawed vampire film. It's attempt to take a trashy B movie and turn it into something classical falls flat but the whole piece feels more like an impressive failure than anything. Kinski is still a great actor but the film should really have been made ten years earlier...

and by Jess Franco!
Old 25th March 2014, 04:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Well I'm 25 mins into HELLGATE and I must say I'm enjoying it... and waiting for it to go downhill !?
keirarts likes this.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 25th March 2014, 06:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Terror (1963)

Jack Nicholson plays a nineteenth century French officer whose dreams are tormented by the presence of a beautiful woman. The dreams draw him to the castle of Baron Von Leppe (Boris Karloff). Before he knows it he finds himself a prisoner whilst desperately trying to solve the mystery of his dreams.

In no way is The Terror a classic of Gothic horror. It has all the ingredients to make it one - a sinister castle, gorgeous coastal locations, an air of mystery and the mighty Karloff himself. However the finished product is slow moving and truth be told the script is not very interesting. How could it be? It was completed in under two weeks.

The films production is far more noteworthy than the finished product.

Director Roger Corman had Boris Karloff for a weekend and the castle sets from The Raven which had just wrapped shooting as well as other AIP sets from The Haunted Palace. Not one to waste an opportunity Corman decided to shoot scenes with Karloff on the sets and hired Leo Gordon to write some scenes for him. They could come up with a story at a later date.

The lead role, Lt. Andre Duvalier, is played by a young Jack Nicholson, who Corman managed to convince to hang around after also appearing in The Raven. Nicholson was some years away from becoming a star so found the work invaluable. The role of the woman was played by Nicholson's then wife Sandra Knight who was also on set at the time. Without a script the performances are a bit of a mess as no one had any idea of the characters motivations or where the story was leading them.

After the two day shoot Corman hired a young unknown director by the name of Francis Ford Coppola to shoot outdoor scenes on the beach mainly utilizing the talents of Nicholson and Knight. Coppola in his true style took eleven days to shoot on location then had another offer to direct which he accepted so Roger Corman needed to find another director. Coppola suggested another young director named Dennis Jakob who shot some scenes for the end of the film before he had to leave to continue with his studies. However the film still seemed unfinished and didn't fit together well so Corman hired a third director - Monte Hellman who shot some cliff top sequences before he too received a better offer, so off he went. Jack Hill then came in to film some scenes to bring the movie together. With just one day of shooting to go, Hill left. By then, Nicholson had asked to direct part of the film and Corman, who was most likely severely pissed off with proceedings let him do so.

There really is no wonder the film is a failiure. Five directors and a script that was being written as shooting was taking place. The film isn't a total disaster though. The end result is actually a visually impressive movie with differing styles of direction but sadly lacking a coherent plot and script. Karloff was a dab hand at this sort of thing having done it for the majority of his career as obviously was Corman, so to them it came naturally. It's just a shame the film was so troubled as it really is a case of what might have been.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the_terror_1963_corman.jpg (77.8 KB, 8 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!