Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2014, 07:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

This film features my all time favorite moment from a Universal Horror. The scene where the Princess Ananka rises out of the muddy swamp bed. This scene is so bloody creepy it gives me the chills. Awesome !

Old 23rd March 2014, 09:16 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

FRIGHT NIGHT(remake). I quite enjoyed this even though it is incredibly flawed particularly with regard to exposing the story line at the start. Still, all is not lost as Farrell seems to be enjoying himself and the lead actresses has a great nose.

THE MUPPETS. I've seen better films that consist mainly of animals having fists shoved up their jacksies but this one has better song and dance routines than those.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 23rd March 2014, 09:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I'm slowly getting up-to-date in reference to posting the back-log of stuff I've been watching recently...

The Cat and the Canary (1939)
Having seen many of the cinematic variations of this particular tale I had yet to visit the 1939 version of the film. As I suspected having enjoyed other versions to varying degrees, I really enjoyed this - even with some (at times) exhausting 'comic relief' from certain characters (notably Bob Hope as Wally Campbell - a case of Wally by name, Wally by nature). Paulette Goddard is distinctly charming throughout which more than makes up for it though.

8/10

The Creeping Flesh (1973)
Whilst the 'creeping flesh' itself takes a bit of a back seat to the crammed (and at times underdeveloped) plot and mental health angle, it remains a solid outing with great performances from Cushing and Lee (as always) and solid direction from Francis. Lorna Heilbron is also a delight as Penelope. The closest a film has become to being a Hammer Production without being produced by Hammer most probably.

6/10

Witchcraft (1964)
One of Chaney's final roles, Witchcraft whilst predictable is at least entertaining and had enough atmosphere, black cloaks and flaming torches to keep me entertained for its 80 minute running time. More of a horror-lite drama it does at least have some memorable scenes and decent performances all-round.

7/10

The Horrible Dr. Hichcock (L'orribile segreto del Dr. Hichcock) (1962)
A grisly premise involving 'necrophilia games' and 'blood harvesting' by a deranged doctor who plans to resurrect his first wife with the blood of his new one. Robert Flemyng is certainly effective as the doctor, but it is Barbara Steele who really shines here. Despite some pacing issues and plot holes littering this grisly gothic curio, Steele's performance as Hichcock's new bride Cynthia along with a stand-out score by Roman Vlad makes this one more than worthy of a watch.

7/10

The Dark Mirror (1946)
A great little mystery/noir from Robert Siodmak with a great performance from Olivia de Havilland, who plays both lead roles in the form of twins Ruth and Terry Collins. Psychology takes a front seat as a tangled web of lies and cover-up is untangled to establish which twin (if any) killed a local doctor. Stark cinematography and lighting techniques along with haunting musical cues aid to assist the viewer's journey into and through The Dark Mirror.

8/10

Leave Her to Heaven (1945)
Shocking noir drama about a woman who will go to extreme and any lengths to be with the man she loves, and have him all to herself. Gene Tierney is absolutely astounding as our femme fatale, and I would have scored this film maybe slightly higher if it wasn't for the slightly weak performance from Cornel Wilde. Still, it's not enough to tarnish what is an effective and powerful film. My favourite of this particular batch of films posted here.

8/10

Fear City (1984)
A re-watch of a film from one of my favourite directors: Mr Ferrara. Arguably one of the most consistently interesting living directors, Fear City whilst not his best (or my favourite) of his work is still a solid and entertaining romp in gritty '80s NYC. A martial-arts expert psycho killer is stalking and murdering strippers and a hard-ass cop and tormented ex-boxer turned private eye are on the case! No-one seems to consistently gel the gritty '80s nightlife of NYC with sleaze, cheese, and tacky music like Ferrara does.

8/10

The Ghoul (1975)
My first viewing of The Ghoul, and the first step into a mini-Cushing marathon thanks to Kyle's thread. Whilst a little dated, the script and direction were solid and this was an entertaining use of 90 minutes. Cushing was on form, and it was interesting to see John Hurt in an early role too.

6/10
Old 24th March 2014, 01:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yes, Leave Her To Heaven is something else really.

For A Few Dollars More (1965, Sergio Leone. MGM UK dvd)
It's been ages, so I stuck this on. The "showdown" twixt Kinski and van Cleef a highlight.

Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976. Sony UK dvd)
I can only imagine what the Blu looks like, as this impressed me highly when I got it (the 2 discer), this was the 80th time I've watched it. A film that would have been very hard to make nowadays......

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th March 2014, 03:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Escape Plan and The Serpent and the Rainbow
Old 24th March 2014, 04:35 PM
Cult Addict

Serpico, a film I last saw when I were around 12 or 13 and one I really couldn't appreciate at the time.
Viewed now with older eyes it's a brilliant film and the best thing I think I've ever seen Pacino do. His brilliant performance as the honest cop who can't be bought really holds together this movie together and makes you really feel for the guy as he slowly becomes more and more despised by the corrupt organization around him.
Old 24th March 2014, 04:42 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Serpico, a film I last saw when I were around 12 or 13 and one I really couldn't appreciate at the time.
Viewed now with older eyes it's a brilliant film and the best thing I think I've ever seen Pacino do. His brilliant performance as the honest cop who can't be bought really holds together this movie together and makes you really feel for the guy as he slowly becomes more and more despised by the corrupt organization around him.
My Blu Ray of this arrived today. Like you its been years since i last watched it so im excited to watch it later after your review.
Old 24th March 2014, 05:12 PM
Cult Addict

MoC's disc is superb too. Excellent transfer.
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th March 2014, 05:16 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
MoC's disc is superb too. Excellent transfer.
Mine is actually the French disc not sure on the PQ of that release.
Old 24th March 2014, 05:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Original Hammer Double Bill.......

Like this? Share it using the links below!