All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2012, 05:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
It's a brilliant piece of film making and Sterling Hayden as Johnny Clay should be mentioned in the same discussion when talking about people like Bronson, Eastwood and Lee Marvin. It shows how brilliant a visionary film maker Kubrick was. I even ejoyed the dragnet style voice over.
I didn't like the narration and neither Kubrick,the studio demand it to make the plot less confusing
Old 28th January 2012, 06:54 PM
Active Cultist

Deliverance - Haven't seen this for ages, revisited it via the US region free blu ray. It's not all banjoes and buggery this movie, it fairly teems with subtexts - masculinity, the environment, past v present, city v country, survival v the law, etc. Imagine a contemporary action film where a lead character is completely traumatised by the killing of a hillbilly rapist - hell, today everyone in the cinema would be cheering to the rafters. More intelligent times I guess. Anyway this is one classic that stands the test of time, it's brilliant. The blu has a decidedly variable picture quality (surely a remaster will happen someday) but decent extras.
Old 28th January 2012, 07:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Watched Erik The Viking The Director's son's cut.It works just fine like the original cut ,no big differences
Old 28th January 2012, 08:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Deliverance - The blu has a decidedly variable picture quality (surely a remaster will happen someday) but decent extras.
It's those horrible day-for-night shots that will always be the killer for any hi-def release I reckon. But yeah, great film . . .
Old 28th January 2012, 08:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm quite fond of day-for-night.

Except for what it does to campfires and lanterns and such!

It has a nice otherworldly artificiality to it though.
Old 28th January 2012, 08:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Maybe in some cases, but not in Deliverance, where it's very distracting, and makes for a shockingly grainy image . . .
Old 28th January 2012, 09:05 PM
Cultist

Female Prisoner Scorpion: Beast Stable (1973)

**** out of ****

UPDATED WEEKLY
Old 28th January 2012, 09:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

WITCHFINDER GENERAL - A re-visit, although the last time I saw it was years ago. Probably its harsher edges have been dulled by the onslaught of cinematic nihilism it arguably helped to unleash, but I still found it pretty bleak - particularly the ending. I liked the desolate vistas of English countryside and the 'Civil War Western' type theme. Lovely cameo by Wilfred Brambell brought a comedic twinge, easily countered by a stern as marble Vincent Price though.
HOTEL - Absolutely wonderful, easily the best film I've seen in about a year. Almost ambient cinema, with an atmosphere far in excess of the narrative that contains it. I'm not surprised to hear comparisons to Lynch and Polanski - the Lynch references are pretty explicit and obviously deliberate, but it also put me in mind of J G Ballard and folkloric imagery, a pretty weird combination. All I can say is, I found this film to be utterly entrancing and, despite the fact that nothing really happens in it, I could watch it endlessly.
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978) - Another re-visit. Actually, I'd forgotton how much I like this film. The first thirty or forty minutes are a master class in the evocation of paranoia, with a wealth of incidental details steadily building an atmosphere of hostile unreality. After a certain point I felt this rich portrait of cloying alienation seemed to give way to a more standard sci-fi / action / chase dynamic but still the oddness and grimness did't let up. And that ending - really upset me when I was a kid, and still gives me the jitters these days.
COLD LIGHT OF DAY - Yet more alienation and claustrophobia, this time of a dreary Brit kind rather than San Fran Hyper-real. Made in the late 80's and based on the Dennis Nilsen murders, this film by Fhiona Louise is still pretty obscure but seems to have just been released on DVD (think previously a VHS was avaialble in the 90s). Although it's not quite an 'Angst' or a 'Schramm', its bleak vision is certainly deserving of a wider audience and in some ways it could be seen to have set the pace (or at least provided a context) for the kind of downbeat realist squalor exemplified by 'Tony' etc. The first half hour plays like a minimal, depressing soap opera before unravelling into a series of dream-like recollections, painful stangulations, harsh interrogations and neon-lit wanderings. The framing seemed really odd in places, but I thought some visual cues seemed to indicate that this was deliberate. Also, the aspect ratio struck me as a bit strange, but maybe it was down to my primitive TV set up.
Old 28th January 2012, 09:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
HOTEL - Absolutely wonderful, easily the best film I've seen in about a year. Almost ambient cinema, with an atmosphere far in excess of the narrative that contains it. I'm not surprised to hear comparisons to Lynch and Polanski - the Lynch references are pretty explicit and obviously deliberate, but it also put me in mind of J G Ballard and folkloric imagery, a pretty weird combination. All I can say is, I found this film to be utterly entrancing and, despite the fact that nothing really happens in it, I could watch it endlessly.
That's the second rave review I've seen for that on here. Hope it arrives from my rental list sharpish . . .
Old 28th January 2012, 09:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
That's the second rave review I've seen for that on here. Hope it arrives from my rental list sharpish . . .
You won't regret watching it if you like weird, dream-like films. I was seriously impressed, but on the other hand perhaps I shouldn't build it up too much.

Like this? Share it using the links below!