Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2012, 09:15 AM
Cultist

Female Convict Scorpion Jailhouse 41 (1972)

**** out of ****

UPDATED WEEKLY
Old 28th January 2012, 10:37 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryJack View Post
Watched "When the wind blows". An animation about an elderly couple (Jim and Hilda) during the build up to a nuclear attack. Jim follows the instructions in his Protect and Survive leaflet to the letter, fully believing it will keep him and his wife safe. Even after the attack he consults his leaflet and expects help to arrive from the government (which, of course, never happens). I first watched it back in the Eighties when it had more relevance but I really enjoyed rewatching it. The animation, although dated, still has a certain charm and the movie is both funny and tragic.
Unless I'm mistaken, the soundtrack to this was by Roger Waters, of Pink Floyd fame

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 28th January 2012, 10:52 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA - 70's Kaiju fun with everyone's favourite atomic lizard. Some hilarious dialogue and a new monster (King Caesar), who looks like the bastard lovechild of a lion and a mongrel. Throw in Anguilas, spacemen and you have an enjoyable 90 mins of rubber-suited fun.
The Godzilla suit looks pretty funky, but I prefer the later versions where he is a lot meaner looking.

bdc, Gojirosan and sawyer6 like this.
"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."

Last edited by wongfeihung62; 28th January 2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 28th January 2012, 11:11 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Watched Erik The Viking for the first time and found it enjoyble,then watched Dragon Inn,good action scenes and a cool climax scene with Donnie Yen(as an eunuch),followed by The Duel with Andy Lau and Ekin Cheng
wongfeihung62 likes this.
Old 28th January 2012, 12:19 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
Decided to give Dario Argento's Phantom of The Opera another go yesterday, and yes, it's still as bad as i remember.
Hard to believe that this is the same guy who once directed the stunning Suspiria and Deep Red.
So sad.
I couldn't believe how bad Phantom of the Opera was. It's partly down to a seeming lack of ambition and flair from Argento and partly down to Julian Sands, who can just about ruin every film in which he appears!

Yesterday I watched Punishment Park which is a remarkable movie and then watched it again with the commentary which, although a little dry, provides a great analysis of the film's construction and background information about the period in which it was made.
Old 28th January 2012, 12:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I couldn't believe how bad Phantom of the Opera was. It's partly down to a seeming lack of ambition and flair from Argento and partly down to Julian Sands, who can just about ruin every film in which he appears!

Yesterday I watched Punishment Park which is a remarkable movie and then watched it again with the commentary which, although a little dry, provides a great analysis of the film's construction and background information about the period in which it was made.
Punishment Park is a great film heavily attacked when it was released!
Old 28th January 2012, 12:46 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I really like Julian Sands, though sometimes I am not sure why...

Old 28th January 2012, 01:51 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer6 View Post
Punishment Park is a great film heavily attacked when it was released!
It was seen as unpatriotic, pro-Communist and supporting those segments of society which were 'causing trouble', the new 'youth' which was perceived as a threat to the all-American nuclear family and the establishment.

I was amazed at just how relevant it is, with Guantánamo Bay and 'extraordinary rendition' part of the norm in the still ongoing War on Terror.
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 28th January 2012, 02:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It was seen as unpatriotic, pro-Communist and supporting those segments of society which were 'causing trouble', the new 'youth' which was perceived as a threat to the all-American nuclear family and the establishment.

I was amazed at just how relevant it is, with Guantánamo Bay and 'extraordinary rendition' part of the norm in the still ongoing War on Terror.
I have yet to see PP but I watched Van Sant's new flick last night and posted my thoughts on the last page. Suggest you check it out if your a Van Sant fan.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 28th January 2012, 02:18 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, the soundtrack to this was by Roger Waters, of Pink Floyd fame
Indeed it was and David Bowie does the opening song

Like this? Share it using the links below!