Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th August 2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 265953)
Definitely. But most people are too blind to notice.

Notice what?

:D

James Morton 14th August 2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 265953)
Definitely. But most people are too blind to notice.

BIG BROTHER jas been watching us for years esp since the 80s
what i find funny about today's political correctness is that for eg
in the late 70's when Stewart Granger was on THIS IS YOUR LIFE he called Eamonn Andrews in a funny way 'You bastard' and said it twice
my parents were big fans of Granger and they laughed
no complaints, no front page crap about waht was said, nothing
but a few months ago Michael Winner said 'bastard' on THE ONE SHOW and was told off about it
TIYL was on at the same time at 7
yet Winner was told of to a degree and he said 'Its a word!'
it seems funny over 30 years ago people weren't so brainwashed to an extent ad they are now with certain words said - no doubt some were!
and of course nothing was said before the programme about sex and violence etc like now
even THE SIMPSONS and other family shows are dictating to you about 'scenes of distressing violence' when there is none
all dumb descriptions

Luke 14th August 2012 12:56 PM

rabid (David Cronenberg)
friday the 13th part 8
dead ringers (David Cronenberg)
the wrestler

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th August 2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 265949)
saw some of JACKIE BROWN but as before got bored with this film, too much talking, what you'd expect from Tarantino anyway and def not one of his best

I think Jackie Brown is Tarantino's best film, showcasing his most patient direction, best dialogue (it's not a case where half the characters sound like him!) and with superb performances by the entire cast, especially Robert Forster.

Slippery Jack 14th August 2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 265967)
I think Jackie Brown is Tarantino's best film, showcasing his most patient direction, best dialogue (it's not a case where half the characters sound like him!) and with superb performances by the entire cast, especially Robert Forster.

Agreed. The best of his soundtracks too with all the Blaxploitation stuff. One of the last great De Niro performances as well . . .

Rik 14th August 2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 265915)
Was that the XXX release with the hard-core sex inserts? I have that one just found them to be really weird and distracting as there's nothing quite like the rear view of someone's scrotum to take you out of the moment!

Yeah, it was and I thought those inserts(no pun intended) were totally pointless

mercury 14th August 2012 07:37 PM

Panic button......The reason I don't have Facebook:fear:

Robert W 15th August 2012 12:38 AM

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

This, along with the Universal classics, was one of my favorite films from childhood. Watched it again last night after not having seen it for a year or two and was again impressed by what an amazing film it is.

wonderlust 15th August 2012 02:24 AM

@suicide room, 2011. 9/10
Tooth and Nail, 2007. 6/10
Sombre,1998. 6/10
Das komabrutale Duell, 1999. 7/10

Rik 15th August 2012 08:33 AM

Watched Quarantine last night AKA [REC] in English. Not a bad film but, seeing as its pretty much a carbon copy of the original, totally pointless

Demoncrat 15th August 2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 266131)
Watched Quarantine last night AKA [REC] in English. Not a bad film but, seeing as its pretty much a carbon copy of the original, totally pointless

Noticed it was on. Apparently the sequel to it is set on a plane? WTF? haven't they seen Flight of the Living Dead? (wish I hadn't haha)

Plus they changed the whole tone of the film, due to obvious reasons cough religion = control cough

A Lonely Place To Die Started reasonably, then fell into by-the-numbers thriller territory. Ho hum, well not every film is Nostalgia;)

James Morton 15th August 2012 01:52 PM

saw the x files on film 4 last night - great film

Daemonia 15th August 2012 02:02 PM

John Carter (2012)

John Carter, a veteran of the American Civil War is tired of fighting and violence. Then he stumbles upon a cave and is transported to Mars. The thing is, being human, on Mars his strength, speed and agility are highly increased - which ironically makes him the best fighter on the planet who can kill with a single punch. This lands him in the middle of a conflict between warring factions, as he's seen as a useful weapon by either side and both want to enlist his aid. Brilliantly done and a nice twist to the usual sci-fi action stuff. Really enjoyed this one - everything is top notch.

Iron Sky (2012)

Nazis flee earth in 1945 and set up base on the dark side of the moon. When the US sends two astronauts to the moon in 2018, the Nazis kill one and sieze the other. They discover the astronaut they've caught is black, which they find oddly amusing, and turn him into a blonde haired white man. They also discover a mobile phone on him - just the technology they need to launch an assault on earth. It's as daft as it sounds, but intentionally so. The humour works really well and it's all done very well. Really enjoyed this one and its observations on the idiocy of Nazism and racism in general certainly made me smile.

'There's a male negro loose on the base...he's unarmed, but possibly angry.'

:lol:

The Comancheros (1961)

John Wayne is Jake Cutter, a Texas Ranger going undercover to expose a gang of gun dealers who are selling weapons to the Comanches. There's also a sub-plot involving Paul Regret (Stuart Whitman) - Jake keeps capturing him and he keeps escaping. It's not a bad western romp but I've seen better. I also think this is the first John Wayne film I've sat through in its entirety. Enjoyable enough but nothing special IMO.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)

Butch and Sundance (Paul Newman and Robert Redford) are two outlaw bank robbers who find themselves being tracked relentlessly and so they decide to abandon the wild west and head off to Bolivia in South America. It's not long before they're up to their bank robbing tricks again and it's not long before they invoke the wrath of the Bolivian authorities. Beautifully shot and brilliantly acted this is a winner from start-to-finish. I've only ever caught bits and pieces previously and so I figured it was time to watch the whole thing - and I'm glad I did. Highly recommended.

From Within (2008)

Witchy horror about a predominantly christian fundamentalist American town which is cursed by the local outcasts. The curse involves driving people to suicide and it's not long before the bodies start piling up and the town's dark secret is unveiled. Not bad but I've seen better.

Charade (1963)

Stanley Donen's intriguing thriller is Hitchcock-lite but enjoyable enough. Regina Lampert (Audrey Hepburn) returns home to her Paris apartment to discover that it's been cleaned out and emptied and her husband is missing. She soon learns that her husband is dead and that a group of men are after her for the money her dead husband owes them that was apparently the proceeds of a robbery during the war. It's all done in good fun and there's nothing very serious here but the witty dialogue, clever script, and sure direction from Donen, ensure that the film keeps you interested and never gets over-complicated. Quite enjoyed this.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2011)

Johnny Blaze (Nicolas Cage) is hiding out in Eastern Europe because of his curse. It's not long before he's dragged into a situation regarding two warring parties who want what they claim is the devil's child and soon all hell breaks loose, literally. It's all good fun and the CGI is actually pretty nifty. Cage is his usual hammy self, but it perfectly suits the film in this instance. Not the greatest film ever made but I enjoyed it well enough.

Cyborg 2 (1993)

Angelina Jolie is a cyborg - but she's also a walking bomb. But don't panic, because Jack Palance's mouth on TV screens guides her and her protector to safety. Daft as a brush but I didn't mind it. I bet Jolie leaves this one off her CV though, she's pretty bad in this.

Kiss of Death (1947)

Victor Mature is hustler and hoodlum Nick Bianco whose stock in trade is pulling heists. But when he's nailed for a jewellery robbery he's sent to prison for several years. Assistant D.A. Louis D'Angelo (Brian Donlevy) offers him a deal if he'll grass up his partners in crime. Nick refuses, but after a stretch inside he learns that his wife killed herself and his daughters are in an orphanage and this completely changes his perspective and he agrees to become a 'squealer' in exchange for his freedom. Now his problems really are starting to begin, as he now has the psychotic Tommy Udo (Richard Widmark) after him for grassing him up.

This is a fine crime noir from the 40s with some heavyweight acting and it's also quite brutal at times - like when Tommy ties up an elderly woman in her wheelchair and hurls her down a flight of stairs to her death. Director Henry Hathaway never misses an opportunity to use clever camera angles and is certainly not of the point-and-shoot variety. Overall an absolute winner. The opening scene with the thieves riding the elevator down a tall building following a heist is nail-biting stuff and superbly executed. Highly recommended.

Uncle Buck (1989)

The other half wanted this on Blu-ray so I reluctantly sat down to watch it. I actually rather enjoyed it, against my better judgement. When his brother and his wife are called away on urgent family business, Uncle Buck (John Candy) steps in to babysit the three kids. Fun and frolics, with some teenage angst thrown in for good measure, ensues. It's an inoffensive comedy drama from John Hughes and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Tremors (1990)

The small town of Perfection is under siege by some massive underground snake/worm things. It's laughable and silly but I've always had a soft spot for the film and so I grabbed it on Blu to have another watch. It looks a bit dated now but it's still very enjoyable. At least there's no CGI in sight.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th August 2012 02:08 PM

I saw John Carter (of Mars) at the cinema and was bored out of my skull. It's the worst film I've seen this year – even worse than The Devil inside – and thought it was a complete mess with horrible CGI, so it's no wonder it's the biggest money-losing film of all time.

I'm with you on just about everything else though!

Daemonia 15th August 2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 266187)
I saw John Carter (of Mars) at the cinema and was bored out of my skull. It's the worst film I've seen this year – even worse than The Devil inside – and thought it was a complete mess with horrible CGI, so it's no wonder it's the biggest money-losing film of all time.

I'm with you on just about everything else though!

I really enjoyed John Carter. I'll agree it's a bit disjointed but I found it entertaining enough. Not the best film ever made for sure, but I didn't mind it. :)

keirarts 15th August 2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 266136)
Noticed it was on. Apparently the sequel to it is set on a plane? WTF? haven't they seen Flight of the Living Dead? (wish I hadn't haha)

Plus they changed the whole tone of the film, due to obvious reasons cough religion = control cough

A Lonely Place To Die Started reasonably, then fell into by-the-numbers thriller territory. Ho hum, well not every film is Nostalgia;)

quarantine 2 is set in an airport and actually not to bad for a cheapjack straight to dvd zombie film. Worth watching.

Gojirosan 15th August 2012 02:40 PM

I love the John Carter books, so I am interested to see the film.

Does anyone on here know the books and has seen the film? Does it get the spirit? Are the Martian races close to the book descriptions? Is the story similar or does it use the Burroughs as a starting point then go its own way?

Re: Quarantine [possible spoilers, beware], I am all for remakes going their own way, but I found myself getting incredibly annoyed by this. So, a carbon copy remake for most of the running time, then right at the end, remove anything that might be contentious to a religious audience and make it all a terrorists' viral weapon? Utter shite. Pissed me off no end. One of the best things about [REC] was that it dared to go so far and address the idea of Evil/The Devil itself being a virus. Quarantine just chickened out.

Adore Jennifer Carpenter though!

bdc 15th August 2012 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wanted a relaxed but fun watch this afternoon so decided to revisit The Super Inframan (1975). :thumb:

pedromonkey 15th August 2012 08:12 PM

Recent viewings....

THE TIME MACHINE (1960):
Well i think this is going to go into my favourite films of all time. George Pal's adaptation of H.G Wells' ahead of it's time novel is just pure joy from start to finish. Sure they took so artistic licence but it's just a marvellous film with a great central performance from Rod Taylor and wonderful support from Alan Young and Filby. The inclusion of a very gorgeous Yvette Mimmeaux also helps. Wonderful score by Russell Garcia.

THE TIME MACHINE (2002):
Empty remake/adaptation of the Wells novel, directed by his great great grandson. Guy Pearce is good but Samantha ****ing Mumba? really?. Massive under use of Jeremy Irons and some bad CGI. Not the best of it's kind. Stick with the 1960's version.

JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (1959)
Much like The Time Machine, this adaptation of Jules Verne's novel is again, a joy from start to finish. James Mason is superb as is Pat Boon as his protégée. Wonder sets including the lost city of Atlantis. I played the dvd through my blu-Ray player and it looked brilliant upsampled.

FIEND WITHOUT A FACE (1958)
Fun little British sci-fi flick set on a Canadian Airforce base about invisible brain creatures. Actually has some great stop motion animation and an air of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers about it. Would love to get the Criterion edition. Well worth a watch for the fun factor.

POINT BREAK (1991)
Possibly the best action film of the 90s and one of the most underrated of that genre. Kathryn Bigalow proves she has the action chops in this film about an undercover FBI agent infiltrating a gang of Surfers who they suspect might be responsible for a series of bank robberies. Keanu Reeves is wooden, Gary Busey is amazing and Patrick Swayze is just incredible. With some genuinely adrenaline fuelled action scenes, this is highly recommened and the Blu-ray looks fantastic.

THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE (1962)
Frankly brilliant British sci-fi film from Val Guest. This has one of the best scripts to utilize realistic dialogue, the back and fourth between Edward Judd and Janet Munroe is just incredible and Leo McKern is also outstanding as Judd's friend and work colleague. Best version to watch is the version with the restored tinted final scenes. Highly Recommended.

20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA (1954)
brilliant Disney Adventure epic with a fantastic giant squid attack and a menacing performance from James Mason as Cap't Nemo. Wonderful Richard Fleisher direction too and a catchy sea shanty from Kirk douglas ad to the brilliance of disney first full length live action movie.

THE RAVEN (2012)
Very entertaining Period crime thriller that uses ideas from Poe's stories to construct a serial killer film. Some nice gothic atmosphere and a healthy dose of gore elevates this above the main crop of crap coming out at the moment. Good direction from James McTeigue and some good performances from an almost entire british cast.

WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE (1951)
An Outstanding disaster/sci-fi film produced by George Pal. Featuring some brilliant special FX for 1951 and some good all round performances. It's one of those what if? film and clearly influenced Roland Emmerich. Looks great on DVD too.

DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS (1962)
doesn't really stay true to the source novel but neither did the 2009 version, Howard Keel is good fun and the scenes of him walking through an almost deserted London are very influential. Could have been much better but still a fun film. The 1981 BBC mini series is the best version to watch though.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th August 2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 266226)
FIEND WITHOUT A FACE (1958)
Fun little British sci-fi flick set on a Canadian Airforce base about invisible brain creatures. Actually has some great stop motion animation and an air of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers about it. Would love to get the Criterion edition. Well worth a watch for the fun factor.

A truly fun film, and one I haven't seen in a long while.

demonknight 15th August 2012 08:18 PM

Tucker and dale vs evil is excellent. Have that best worst movie doc on troll 2 but haven't watched it yet.

gag 15th August 2012 08:19 PM

The Coast Guard

This film is on tartan label and I like just about anything by them,
So I picked this up for a few quid on a blind buy,
A military soldier who a little trigger happy shoots a innocent civilian on wrong side of the line, he then becomes as hated figure for it and gets kicked out,
He doesn't take to this lightly and refuses to go and slowly descends to losing the plot and start turning against them,
It's not the best of films but there a lot worse out there,
worth a watch all the same but just don't expect anything*outstanding,

Watched a programme on itv 13 steps down about a bloke who obsessed with John Christine and how he becomes a murderer,
Its in 2 parts and I highly enjoyed it can't wait for 2nd part next week,
But because of it I got me in the mood to watch ten rillington place so I think I'll watch it sometime over the weekend,

Gojirosan 15th August 2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 266226)

POINT BREAK (1991)
Possibly the best action film of the 90s and one of the most underrated of that genre.

Vive la différence, eh?

pedromonkey 15th August 2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 266234)
Vive la différence, eh?

eh?

Gojirosan 15th August 2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 266237)
eh?

I think it's an awful clanger of a film with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. One of the decade's biggest turkeys. :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th August 2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 266246)
I think it's an awful clanger of a film with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. One of the decade's biggest turkeys. :)

Hear hear.

True Lies, Speed, Desperado, Face Off, The Last Boy Scout, Hard Boiled, Die Hard 2, Con Air, Cliffhanger, Under Siege, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Universal Soldier, Leon, Mission Impossible, Goldeneye, Ronin, Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man, Waterworld.

All better action films off the top of my head which i prefer to Point Break.

Make Them Die Slowly 15th August 2012 10:23 PM

THE GREEN LANTERN. Normally I like any old superhero shit but this is just plain boring. Most of it's running time is taken up with nothing in particular, then a quick wham bam ending that left me and the boy and the girl MTDS feeling cheated: we'd sat through so much shite for such a little pay off.

Invid Ninja 15th August 2012 10:51 PM

The Black Cat (1981) One of the lesser known Fulci films and often considered mediocre. Fulci does an admirable job of conveying a Hammer-esque gothic aesthetic with the authentic British locations and Patrick 'Try the wine' Magee chews the scenery with weird delight. It's also one of Fulci's more straightforward tales as a whole, atypical of his usual style. Despite a few solid set pieces, the narrative was not as memorable nor as striking as anything found in his 'Gates Of Hell' trilogy; often the case with his later work. Watchable enough, at least it wasn't Manhattan Baby. :crazy:

Frankie Teardrop 15th August 2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 266279)
The Black Cat (1981) One of the lesser known Fulci films and often considered mediocre. Fulci does an admirable job of conveying a Hammer-esque gothic aesthetic with the authentic British locations and Patrick 'Try the wine' Magee chews the scenery with weird delight. It's also one of Fulci's more straightforward tales as a whole, atypical of his usual style. Despite a few solid set pieces, the narrative was not as memorable nor as striking as anything found in his 'Gates Of Hell' trilogy; often the case with his later work. Watchable enough, at least it wasn't Manhattan Baby. :crazy:

'The Black Cat' is one of my fave Fulci flicks - I don't really know why, because it's hardly full throttle like 'The Beyond' etc etc... but there's just something weird about it. Maybe it's the odd choice of setting / location, and the atmospheric but slightly grating handling of such. Also seem to remember he goes overboard with his trademark close ups of eyes in this one, which for some reason I really like.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th August 2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 266189)
I really enjoyed John Carter. I'll agree it's a bit disjointed but I found it entertaining enough. Not the best film ever made for sure, but I didn't mind it. :)

I saw it with my brother and he really liked it, thought it was great fun and couldn't understand my numerous criticisms and problems with the film! As so many people avoided it at the cinema, it can hardly be described as a Marmite film, but those who, like you, enjoy it. are probably in the minority.

It's been said many times on these boards, but horses for courses, chacun Ã* son goût (to each his own). It would be very boring world if we all felt exactly the same about everything.

James Morton 16th August 2012 03:08 PM

only saw it some time ago but saw ANTICHRIST again on Film4 last night
excellent film
i recorded the film, though have the dvd already and cut out the ads but some annoying guy telling you every time the film is starting again what to expect etc

Slippery Jack 16th August 2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 266367)
i recorded the film, though have the dvd already and cut out the ads but some annoying guy telling you every time the film is starting again what to expect etc

Coming up, Gordan Ramsay cooking in a prison, but first, some genital mutilation with rusty scissors :lol: . . .

James Morton 16th August 2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 266373)
Coming up, Gordan Ramsay cooking in a prison, but first, some genital mutilation with rusty scissors :lol: . . .

good one!:)

Slippery Jack 16th August 2012 03:51 PM

The Prowler

Alright, though I thought the stalking scenes were poorly handled. Great Savini kills, shame about the build up. Also, I'm usually dumber than a bag of hammers when it comes to guessing whodunnit, but even I had it figured out in the opening scenes :rolleyes: Thought the flashback opening worked best, with a surprisingly cinematic scope that the rest of the film faled to match...

James Morton 16th August 2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 266378)
The Prowler

Alright, though I thought the stalking scenes were poorly handled. Great Savini kills, shame about the build up. Also, I'm usually dumber than a bag of hammers when it comes to guessing whodunnit, but even I had it figured out in the opening scenes :rolleyes: Thought the flashback opening worked best, with a surprisingly cinematic scope that the rest of the film faled to match...

some years ago when Blue Underground started, two of the first dvds i bought on that label were THE TOOLBOX MURDERS and THE PROWLER and the latter i enjoyed a lot more and still think its one of the best 80's slashers

i think i saw it on a heavily cut EIV video under its other moniker ROSEMARY'S KILLER

Slippery Jack 16th August 2012 03:58 PM

I watched the UK DVD called Rosemary's Killer, which didn't look uncut to me :shocked: thought the killer looked great btw, one positive I forgot to mention . . .

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th August 2012 04:46 PM

W.E. A clunky, disjointed and messy piece of historical revisionism with a lousy script, inept direction and terrible performances by the entire cast. Nazi sympathisers were 'misunderstood' and Wallace Simpson suffered terribly due to her marriage to Edward. Madonna should stick to singing. Some of

James Morton 16th August 2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 266383)
I watched the UK DVD called Rosemary's Killer, which didn't look uncut to me :shocked: thought the killer looked great btw, one positive I forgot to mention . . .

checked on melon farmers and dvdcompare
was sure anyway, but the R2 dvd on the Optimum label is uncut/unrated version
the BU dvd is best w/commentary and featurette:)

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th August 2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 266383)

It is definitely uncut SJ. :)

Slippery Jack 16th August 2012 04:49 PM

I meant to say it did look uncut :doh: wondered what you lot were going on about :lol: . . .