Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

vincenzo 9th March 2010 12:33 PM

That's the one. Loosely based on the Patty Hearst case. Gregory Rozakis (who decorated Charles Bronson's apartment in Death Wish) was one of the kidnappers.

Good cast but it was all talk and little action.

Gojirosan 9th March 2010 10:34 PM

Ratman

Words very nearly fail me. I am familiar with some of Guiliano Carnimeo's adorably inept Spaghetti Westerns, but not even they could prepare me the exoperoence of Ratman! A totally preposterous idea, some appalling acting, the most clumsy dubbing this side of a Bruno Mattei flick, a bored David Warbeck looking like he's carrying some "holiday pounds", and a story that jumps around in defiance of linear logic...it's bloody marvellous! :happy:

nekromantik 9th March 2010 11:09 PM

Just seen Horseman.

Pretty gritty movie but for some reason I didnt love it, found something missing.
Story was alright but then the whole thing with the run away pregnant gal was a bit random I thought. Kinda spolled it for me.

pedromonkey 9th March 2010 11:40 PM

i think the whole pregnant runaway subplot was to balance out the animal and human instincts of christian, the girl is his calming effect and is meant to be a sort of replacement daughter.

nekromantik 9th March 2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 66423)
i think the whole pregnant runaway subplot was to balance out the animal and human instincts of christian, the girl is his calming effect and is meant to be a sort of replacement daughter.

Yeah I did think that but IMO I think it would have been better without.
Not a bad movie at all but just kinda felt disappointed in the end.

James Morton 10th March 2010 12:30 AM

'What films have you seen recently?'‏

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 66150)
Giallo - despite my reservations I actually enjoyed this. Yes, it's corny and the plot's a bit creaky but it's a good popcorn movie and there's a good old bit of gore to keep you occupied! Pedestrian by Argento's standards but still enjoyable in my opinion :nod:

Do you have the Polish dvd with non-removable subs?
I'm buying this dvd (I have every Argento film) when released on a sp. ed.

Gojirosan 10th March 2010 12:56 AM

Il Terzio Occhio/The Third Eye

This superb psycho-thriller is what Joe D'Amato would later remake/rework as Beyond The Darkness/Buio Omega. Released in 1966, this Giallo is very much influenced by Psycho with a very young and clean-cut looking Frank (sic) Nero in the lead. I liked the performances - especially Olga Solbelli (rather literally translated as Olga Sunbeauty in the credits!) as the domineering mother - but could understand if they seemed a bit stagey or even wooden to modern audiences. It's surprisingly nasty for the time, a scene towards the end involving someone trying to answer the telephone made me cringe slightly, and there is a definitely and appropriately morbid air to the proceedings. What really stasnds out though is the photography; it is beautifully shot in gorgeous black and white in excellent locations and sets. The film looks amazing and director Mino Guerrini displays a sure hand.

An utter triumph so far as I am concerned. I don't suppose it will ever be released on DVD in the UK, but it would make for a great double disk special edition with D'Amato's Beyond The Darkness.

antmumford 10th March 2010 07:14 AM

I watched Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland last night in 3D.
I may have a biased answer as I'm a big fan of Tim's work but I thought it was great. Wacky, over the top characters. Johnny, Anne and Helena clearly being the highlights. Loved them all equally. Beautifully dark yet colourful (if you know what I mean) scenery. It was signature Burton but with everything popping right out in front of your face so it got a 2 thumbs up from me.

Gigantor 10th March 2010 08:11 AM

FROM PARIS WITH LOVE:happy:
COP OUT:happy:
THE WOLFMAN:ohwell:

DeadAlive 10th March 2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 66432)
I watched Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland last night in 3D.
I may have a biased answer as I'm a big fan of Tim's work but I thought it was great. Wacky, over the top characters. Johnny, Anne and Helena clearly being the highlights. Loved them all equally. Beautifully dark yet colourful (if you know what I mean) scenery. It was signature Burton but with everything popping right out in front of your face so it got a 2 thumbs up from me.

And wasn't it great to have Christopher Lee voicing The Jabberwocky? He only speaks about a dozen words but he is unmissable.