Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

re.form 7th April 2010 09:34 PM

Just watched Baby Blood - my favourite French horror film.

eNoize 7th April 2010 10:59 PM

Revisited some fun classics the other night.

Jess Franco's A Virgin Among the Living Dead is a very strange Usher-isque piece of cinema. The visuals are both hilarious and hypnotic, but they maintain interest until the bizarre ending.

The second one is a long forgotten piece with a very young Erik Estrada called The Cross and the Switchblade. In fact, it's his first acting gig before becoming the permanent face of CHiPs. It's an over the top religious conversion feature, but it's utterly hilarious and not badly structured.

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th April 2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eNoize;72440[The second one is a long forgotten piece with a very young Erik Estrada called [B
The Cross and the Switchblade[/B]. In fact, it's his first acting gig before becoming the permanent face of CHiPs. It's an over the top religious conversion feature, but it's utterly hilarious and not badly structured.

Got to love some Estrada goodness.He wad also the best thing about the Andy Sidaris cheesefest,Guns.

Gojirosan 8th April 2010 02:05 AM

Watched a nice, anamorphic 'scope R1 release of John Carpenter's Prince Of Darkness tonight. Only ever seen TV pan'n'scans before.

Sweet. :cool:

Probably review it tomorrow if I get around to it!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th April 2010 05:32 AM

I watched FORBIDDEN WORLD last night.
It's not nearly as good as Galaxy of Terror,but it has it's moments.
As always,to compensate for budgetary restraints,Corman's New World throws in some sassy chicks and nudity.;)

Fans of GOT will recognize some familiar looking sets and costumes....:biggrin:

bdc 8th April 2010 07:14 AM

I loved the robot in Forbidden World. :)
Starcrash also has a funny robot.

vincenzo 8th April 2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eNoize (Post 72440)
The second one is a long forgotten piece with a very young Erik Estrada called The Cross and the Switchblade. In fact, it's his first acting gig before becoming the permanent face of CHiPs. It's an over the top religious conversion feature, but it's utterly hilarious and not badly structured.

Estrada also popped up as the ill-fated navigator in the hilarious Airport 1975 and as one of the newbie cops in The New Centurions.

I want to throw a shoe at Pat Boone whenever I see him (thanks to Speedy Gonzales), though Cross And The Switchblade does have a great funky soundtrack including the brilliant Rumble. :dance:

Phats 8th April 2010 11:34 AM

I watched Irreversible and Audition over the weekend.

The first 30 minutes reminded me a bit of the last 30 minutes of Requiem for a Dream in terms of the director making you feel extremely uncomfortable when watching it. However, I'd say Noe took it to the extreme; it's certainly a film I wouldn't want to watch at a cinema.

Then there's Audition. "Kiri-kiri-kiri." :bolt:

I also watched Child's Play which was alright, Labyrinth which was terrific but doesn't really fit in with the other movies I watched. The Ordeal was absolutely nuts and What Becomes of the Broken Hearted? was a decent sequel but wasn't as good as Once Were Warriors - and was never going to be.

I also saw Hardware which was a decent low budget movie. On imdb it says that Richard Stanley wanted Jeffrey Combs and Bill Paxton to play Shades and Mo but Miramax and Palace Pictures didn't know anything about Paxton - :confused: - and Combs couldn't be cast due to British Union rules - :confused: It would've been great if they were cast in those respective roles. Does anyone know any more about what happened there? What were the British Union rules about and how the hell did they not know about Paxton? Or is this just something someone has made up to make me look silly? :blush:

oaxaca 8th April 2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phats (Post 72507)
I watched Irreversible and Audition over the weekend.

The first 30 minutes reminded me a bit of the last 30 minutes of Requiem for a Dream in terms of the director making you feel extremely uncomfortable when watching it. However, I'd say Noe took it to the extreme; it's certainly a film I wouldn't want to watch at a cinema.

Then there's Audition. "Kiri-kiri-kiri." :bolt:

I also watched Child's Play which was alright, Labyrinth which was terrific but doesn't really fit in with the other movies I watched. The Ordeal was absolutely nuts and What Becomes of the Broken Hearted? was a decent sequel but wasn't as good as Once Were Warriors - and was never going to be.

I also saw Hardware which was a decent low budget movie. On imdb it says that Richard Stanley wanted Jeffrey Combs and Bill Paxton to play Shades and Mo but Miramax and Palace Pictures didn't know anything about Paxton - :confused: - and Combs couldn't be cast due to British Union rules - :confused: It would've been great if they were cast in those respective roles. Does anyone know any more about what happened there? What were the British Union rules about and how the hell did they not know about Paxton? Or is this just something someone has made up to make me look silly? :blush:

Audition is bonkers :p (Miike knows how to freak his audience out THATS for sure!)

vincenzo 8th April 2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 72508)
Audition is bonkers :p

Good film but it needled me a bit. :D