Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th January 2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 564283)
I think when I made the list I was concentrating on mainstream or breakthrough films (I forget which), so also included Halloween (ignoring Dark Star) and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (ignoring Eggshells). It wouldn't be on the list if, without the qualifiers, if I made it now.

There are so many great directorial debuts, it might be a good topic for a Top Ten Tuesday!

And Assault on Precinct 13.

I'd quit whilst the goings good, Nos. :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 564286)
And Assault on Precinct 13.

I'd quit whilst the goings good, Nos. :lol:

Like I said, it was a list of debut/mainstream/breakthrough films, and I considered Halloween to be more of a breakthrough than Assault on Precinct 13, and probably still do. I think it's a great film, but (I'm not sure why) thought John Carpenter really came to prominence with the groundbreaking slasher film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 564285)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

I still think Sam Raimi’s second is the best Spider-Man film, but this comes mighty damn close, and it easily takes a place somewhere in my MCU top ten.

**** out of *****

I watched this a couple of nights ago (on 4K Ultra HD) as my second viewing, after loving it at the cinema, and was very pleasantly surprised how well it stands up to closer examination. I thoroughly enjoyed it both times and will probably watch it again within the next week as a double bill with Ant Man.

trebor8273 28th January 2018 03:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itgqj4okSv8

A true classic that's as chilling now as when I watched as a kid on BBC one. Gave the younger version of me nightmares for weeks. 10/10

Now watching Harry Potter and the prison of Azkaban.all the films after this will be first time viewings.

trebor8273 28th January 2018 05:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAxgztbYDbs

enjoyed this more than the first two, which was thanks to a tighter script,shorter run time which did not give a bloated middle like the first two and the young actors have improved greatly since the first, also a lot darker in tone. 8.2/10

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 564298)
enjoyed this more than the first two, which was thanks to a tighter script,shorter run time which did not give a bloated middle like the first two and the young actors have improved greatly since the first, also a lot darker in tone. 8.2/10

I haven't read any of the books so can treat the films as films rather than adaptations of a literary source. Prisoner of Azkaban is easily my favourite of the Harry Potter films. In fact, it's the only one I've seen more than once!

Your short reviews of may be interested in (when the price is right) buying the 4K Ultra HD box set and watching all of the films in a relatively short period of time.

bleakshaun 28th January 2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 564304)
I haven't read any of the books so can treat the films as films rather than adaptations of a literary source. Prisoner of Azkaban is easily my favourite of the Harry Potter films. In fact, it's the only one I've seen more than once!

Your short reviews of may be interested in (when the price is right) buying the 4K Ultra HD box set and watching all of the films in a relatively short period of time.

I'd say that the books are worth a read tbh. It kept me going as a kid

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 564305)
I'd say that the books are worth a read tbh. It kept me going as a kid

I've such a huge 'to read' pile (which I added to by ordering the latest David Wong book today) that they are very low in priority – the sizes of the books from Prisoner of Azkaban onwards is a little offputting as well, and that's from someone who has read War and Peace!

bleakshaun 28th January 2018 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 564306)
I've such a huge 'to read' pile (which I added to by ordering the latest David Wong book today) that they are very low in priority – the sizes of the books from Prisoner of Azkaban onwards is a little offputting as well, and that's from someone who has read War and Peace!

Fair enough, I would still recommend it.....when you have time

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Demoncrat 28th January 2018 07:52 PM

Enjoying The Ghoul. Ticks a few of my boxes.