Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2022, 03:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Coma. 1978.

A young female nurse discovers a large amount of patients slipping into coma's during operations and tries to discover what is happening and uncovers a dark conspiracy.

I'm sure we are all familiar with the works of Michael Crichton, for this one he manages to take someone else's project and turn it into a very tense and quite harrowing thriller. This does work on fear, we have fear of hospitals, surgeries and operations, fear of not wakening up or worried that the doctor doing the operation may make a slip and cause more problems than necessary.

Genevieve Bujold plays the young intern nurse Susan Wheeler who begins to suspect that patients are deliberately being put into coma's during their routine operation and begins her own investigation. Michael Douglas plays a doctor at the hospital and her loving boyfriend Mark Bellows who isn't so loving when he disbelieves her antics and begins to suspect she is over working herself. Richard Widmark stars as the main hospital administrator and head surgeon and gives out a decent performance that can always seem a bit chilling when Bujold presents her findings to him.

This doesn't start of quickly, there is a bit of a slow pace for the character build up of Bellows and Wheeler and has a good line for a argument everytime we argue, you get naked a woman knows how to play the ace card and stop a argument from happening. Jerry Goldsmith manages to create a great score that doesn't kick in a lot until middle of the film and makes the movie more tense than what it already is. I honestly forgot how good this one actually is with a woman being in a man's world and still comes up strong.

Coma_film_poster.jpg
Old 22nd August 2022, 02:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

COMA is great. The coma patient suspension scene is pretty nightmarish.
It's about time a UK distributer picked up this movie, sadly neglected here in the UK.
Old 22nd August 2022, 04:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
COMA is great. The coma patient suspension scene is pretty nightmarish.
It's about time a UK distributer picked up this movie, sadly neglected here in the UK.
I have it in a US four dvd set along with Wolfen, Bad Moon and Body Snatchers.

As far as i'm aware the only one of those to get a UK release is Wolfen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 912Gii7M5YL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (99.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 22nd August 2022, 05:16 PM
Cult Veteran

Body Snatchers has/had a UK dvd from Warner, it was also a main stay of Sky Movies in the 90s. I’m surprised that Coma hasn’t had a release over here though!
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd August 2022, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Really has nothing too do with Cthulhu mythos apart from the name. After a magician kills his wife in accident in one of his shows , we see him buying a book which is called Cthulhu and I suppose it's supposed to be the necronomicon.

Some time later the magician , his daughter and bodyguard are kidnapped and taking too there home by a bunch yobs. But little to the yobs know that their is something dark and dangerous in the basement and soon people start dying .

While nothing brillant it was ok and I enjoyed it , most of the acting was terrible apart from the mage. It had more in common with Poe in places than Lovecraft.

A truly dire terminator style ripoff. Here a scientist is involved in a accident and is experimented on by his boss and his turned into the lamest looking cyborg, who promptly goes after those who caused the accident , which wasn't a accident. Boring .

A UFO is sited across America, it soon disappears , but not long after a number of murders and acts of Sabotage are committed by someone or something wearing what appears too be some sort of spacesuit. A below average 50s bmovie , but was watchable.

Now watching

Followed by

Also been watching . Only watched first couple of parts.

Last edited by trebor8273; 22nd August 2022 at 08:07 PM.
Old 22nd August 2022, 07:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

In The Line Of Fire. 1993.

Secret Service agent Frank Horrigan who failed to protect Kennedy, tries to protect the life of the current President.

One man haunted by the past and another man totally psychotic and enjoys playing the mind games with a ageing body guard. Clint Eastwood and John Malkovich play the bitter enemies in this tough thriller that you can't look away. With the passing of Wolfgang Petersen this had to be dug for tonight's viewing, with a good game of cat and mouse.

We all know that Clint is a tough S.O.B in his films and will do anything to protect those around him even if it means dying on the job. Malkovich's portrayal as the antagonist is quite dark and and knows how to start a cat and mouse chase that leads to a final confrontation in not the best places but certainly has a good tense feel to it.

large_k96sIyWl6N9k1uneF51UN4Fzhne.jpg
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

An Italian ripoff of the exorcist directed Amando de Ossorio of blind dead fame. It's nothing special but is enjoyable than a lot of the ripoffs. Here a old woman is arrested for a desecrating a church and is believed to be involved in the disappearance of a baby, before she can be questioned she throws herself out of a window. With a help of her coven of devil worshippers she possesses the body of judges daughter who over night becomes a sex crazed potty mouth. Unintentionally funny in places but also quite dark we have a scene which she cuts of a man's willy and wraps it up in a box and gives it too his girlfriend the ending is pretty dark usually the girl is saved but here while she rid of the evil in a last display of evil she is stabbed through the heart.

Last edited by trebor8273; 22nd August 2022 at 09:41 PM.
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Considering this was a film i took an intense dislike to first time around this was my third viewing of it and first with the impressive Dolby Atmos soundtrack on Blu-ray.

A film i'm appreciating more with each watch even if the slim story is a bit repetitive - huge desert vehicle chase, find destination, set off back, huge desert vehicle chase - the end.

However those action sequences in the desert are extremely impressive, aided by the fact that director George Miller opted for stunts over C(rap)GI with the cacophonous sound making it a true fury road for the senses.

Mad Max: Fury Road for me is now the second best Max film but it'll need some longevity to top Mad Max 2.
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

An Italian ripoff of the exorcist directed Amando de Ossorio of blind dead fame. It's nothing special but is enjoyable than a lot of the ripoffs. Here a old woman is arrested for desaturated a church and is believed to be involved in the disappearance of a baby, before she can be questioned she throws herself out of a window. With a help of her coven of devil worshippers she possesses the body of judges daughter who over night becomes a sex crazed potty mouth. Unintentionally funny in places but also quite dark we have a scene which she cuts of a man's willy and wraps it up in a box and gives it too his girlfriend the ending is pretty dark usually the girl is saved but here while she rid of the evil in a last display of evil she is stabbed through the heart.
Another Exorcist Rip-Off for me to find, thanks for intriguing me with this one Trebor
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Another Exorcist Rip-Off for me to find, thanks for intriguing me with this one Trebor
It's on YouTube that's were I watched it. Quite a lot of obscure films or films that never got even a dvd release.

All the ones I've posted today I watched on YouTube.

Like this? Share it using the links below!