Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2023, 05:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Pope's Exorcist. 2023.

Chief exorcist Gabriele Armoth faith is tested when he is assigned to a possession in Spain and uncovers something more darker.

Russell Crowe takes the lead as the Italian exorcist of the Vatican and is a believable priest and able to bring some humour to the screen that is certainly not over done and is more sarcasm. After the opening credits we see the exorcist at work, then quickly paces itself to the main feature and slowly brings out the past in others. Franco Nero does have a good part in this as the Pope and does have a great on screen presence as always. This has to be one of the decent Possession films released in a good while.

Pope's+Exorcist.jpg
Old 15th May 2023, 07:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Evil Dead Rise. 2023.#

The original trilogy was great, I wasn't a big fan of the 2013 remake but this one, set in a apartment block that shouldn't work but it does, somewhat dysfunctional family that find the book of the dead and recording and play it. It does seem weird they shifted things from the cabin to down town L.A. and a few nods to the original and a somewhat homage to Demons 2. This was F@:king awesome.

b8728f40a22d0d0a1d1248b623a2c0ad.jpg
Old 16th May 2023, 12:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Villain (1971)

Richard Burton stars as Vic Dakin, a London crime lord who agrees to orchestrate the robbery of a wages van. However, when he's forced to work with another gangster’s firm, Dakin is less than enthused.

Burton is once again excellent in this gritty crime drama. He's a Hollywood drinking legend and personification of male masculinity but is also at ease playing Dakin who is essentially an overweight homosexual mummy's boy, albeit one who's sadistically violent and likely to slash your face with a razor. The scenes with him caring for his elderly mother quite a juxtaposition to the violence inflicted on others. Dakin is a brave role for such an actor of Burton's standing.

The robbery is brilliantly staged, naturally it doesn't go quite to plan which makes it all the more gripping viewing. After what has gone previous seeing the gang make their escape in a beat up car with a flat tire is the blackest of comedy.

It has to be black comedy because there's barely a glimmer of light or hope during the films 98 minutes. Aside from Nigel Davenport and Colin Welland as the police inspectors tracking Dakin everyone else is damaged or disturbed in some way. Be it the gang members, including Dakin's bi-sexual lover as played by Ian McShane, or the corrupt MP (Donald Sinden) out for cheap sex with girls barely out of their teens who ends up being bribed by Dakin.

It's this gritty realism, embellished by the decay of a post swinging sixties London, that makes the film stand out. Over time Villain has gotten a bit lost in British film history because it hit screens the same year as Get Carter which rightly or wrongly takes all the plaudits, however for me i prefer this due to Burton's uncompromising performance.

The Blu-ray from StudioCanal looks fantastic with excellent depth and detail to it's image.
Although there are only two special features on the disc both are really good and together fairly comprehensive.

Ian McShane's interview which lasts fifteen minutes is amusing and anecdotal whilst Matthew Sweet in his 35 minute interview goes into detail about the films coming together and British crime cinema of the period.

Fifty minutes in total but that's really all you need. A great package.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 16th May 2023, 08:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hard Target. 1993.

JCVD supporting a mullet is a seaman who helps Yancy Butler track her missing homeless father who was used in a hunt for sport paid by Lance Henriksen and his henchman Arnold Vosloo who use ex war veterans with the rules, make it to the river and be $10.000 richer. Director John Woo knows how to create good action sequences, explosions and mixed in with a decent final act gun fights, Van Damme does pull some punches and kicks but nothing is overall done in this. Henriksen is decent in this as the businessman and villain who sets the rules but never really changes his expression at trying to be calm at the same time.

MV5BMjc5YmU3MjUtNmRhYy00MjQ5LWI1ZTMtOGQzYTE1N2I4ZTEzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_.jpg
Old 16th May 2023, 09:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Hard Target. 1993.

JCVD supporting a mullet is a seaman who helps Yancy Butler track her missing homeless father who was used in a hunt for sport paid by Lance Henriksen and his henchman Arnold Vosloo who use ex war veterans with the rules, make it to the river and be $10.000 richer. Director John Woo knows how to create good action sequences, explosions and mixed in with a decent final act gun fights, Van Damme does pull some punches and kicks but nothing is overall done in this. Henriksen is decent in this as the businessman and villain who sets the rules but never really changes his expression at trying to be calm at the same time.

Attachment 246307
I haven't actually watched Hard Target in many many years. I really have to address that.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 16th May 2023, 09:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I haven't actually watched Hard Target in many many years. I really have to address that.
It's like a checklist of Woo cliches as is Mission Impossible II.
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 16th May 2023, 09:32 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
It's like a checklist of Woo cliches as is Mission Impossible II.
I prefer Hard Target. MI:2 when it finally starts is great. But bugger all happens for almost an hour.

nicholasrope likes this.
Old 16th May 2023, 09:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post

My other half has never seen it before and certainly enjoyed it, she isn't a big Van Damme fan but looks.like another favourite added to the list.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 16th May 2023, 09:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
My other half has never seen it before and certainly enjoyed it, she isn't a big Van Damme fan but looks.like another favourite added to the list.
I used to love it when it initially came out now i merely think it's okay and it's all to do with John Woo
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 16th May 2023, 09:39 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I used to love it when it initially came out now i merely think it's okay and it's all to do with John Woo
Oh there's a reason it one of Van Dammes very best and it isn't Van Damme.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!