Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th May 2023, 03:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Police Academy 6: City Under Seige. 1989.

Captain Harris and Proctor are now relocated to a new area that's been hit by a string of robberies,the mayor and Chief Hurst bring in Lassard and his misfits to help.

We get Nick, Hightower, Hooks, Callahan, Jones, Tackleberry and Fackler re-joining the team to find three crooks under the Influence of a criminal mastermind. Again Harris becomes the butt of a few pranks, Proctor actually showing a bit more of a brain and Kenneth Mars as the clueless wording mayor who loves model trains and boats.

The laughs are a bit more frequent in this especially when Fackler makes his first appearance and then returns back to the station and everyone avoids him, Jones and Hightower show of their strength and fight skills and able to come out with a laugh and smile.

images (7).jpg
Old 29th May 2023, 06:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Police Academy: Mission To Moscow. 1994.

Lassard, Harris and their team travel to Russia to help capture a gangster who has designed a game that can be used to infiltrate their governments systems.

George Gaynes, Leslie Easterbrook, G.W.Bailey, Michael Winslow and David Graf are the only ones to return for this one, Bubba Smith, Marion Ramsay and Lance Kinsey's characters are not even mentioned or given a reason why they are missing...so poor writing. Charlie Schlatter is the newer recruit along with Claire Forlani as the young Russian officer.

Was this meant to be funny...what was with adding in the cartoonish sound effects every five minutes. Were the stars including Ron Perlman embarrassed to be in this. 1994 was not the best for Christopher Lee to be associated with the film Funny Man and to be in this. How do I pretend that this one didn't exist??

images (8).jpg
Old 29th May 2023, 08:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

John Wick: Chapter 4 (2023, Chad Stahelski)

Pandering bejeesus. Videogame of the year. The violence!
It still gave the demon a headache. The most stylized flick that I've seen since The Neon Demon
Lawdy.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th May 2023, 09:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
John Wick: Chapter 4 (2023, Chad Stahelski)

Pandering bejeesus. Videogame of the year. The violence!
It still gave the demon a headache. The most stylized flick that I've seen since The Neon Demon
Lawdy.

I’m excited to see this so I need to ask, is it more of the same and did you enjoy the other 3? I mean none of it is realistic in the first place.
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 29th May 2023, 01:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

All the Colours of the Dark (1972)

Sergio Martino's genre bending Giallo which plays out for the most part as a frenetic horror film.

The story concerns Jane, (Edwige Fenech) a young woman living in London, who following personal tragedy is having recurring nightmares of a man with blue eyes stalking her with a knife. From here the film delves deeper into Jane's psyche as she is coerced into taking part in a Black Magic rite as all her dreams seemingly become a nightmarish reality.

Sex, violence, hallucinations, murder...you name it. In All the Colours of the Dark director Sergio Martino leaves his giallo / crime comfort zone and drags us kicking and screaming into a terrifying dream world of violence and sexually explicit black magic. The film has a disorienting effect the longer it goes on, as Jane's reality becomes lost in her nightmares and gives the viewer a woozy unrelenting confusion as you feel trapped alongside her, seemingly as unhinged as she is. The film really gets under your skin due to Martino's eerie surreal camera work and a traumatic score from Bruno Nicolai.

It's only in the final reel that the film sports any resemblance to a giallo thanks to some unconventional plot twists and turns.

A cracking cast of supporting players including Julian Ugarte, Nieves Navarro and Martino regulars George Hilton and Ivan Rassimov never waste a moment but it's the outstanding Fenech, in her best performance really holds the film and keeps the viewer on the edge of their seat.

Martino's film is often mesmerizing, extremely gripping and always unpredictable. Quite simply, All the Colours of the Dark is one of my favourite Italian horror films of all time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39993_1_large.jpg (96.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 29th May 2023, 04:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I’m excited to see this so I need to ask, is it more of the same and did you enjoy the other 3? I mean none of it is realistic in the first place.
There is just a different structure to this mother tbh. Hence the hefty running time ahem. In part it is right up there with the other 3, buuuuuuuuuut ..... enjoy???
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th May 2023, 04:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Rock (1996)

A disenchanted general (Ed Harris) and his crack team of mercenary marines takes over the island prison of Alcatraz, it's cells full of unfortunate tourist hostages, and threatens to launch deadly poison gas rockets at the city of San Francisco if his (not entirely unreasonable) demands aren't met.

In desperation the FBI and the White House enlist a chemical warfare expert (Nicolas Cage) and an imprisoned former SAS officer and the only man to ever escape Alcatraz as played by Sean Connery who are seen as their best chance, along with a team of marines led by Michael Biehn, to break in and stop Harris.

Easily director Michael Bay's best film, this is chock full of corny but fun dialogue, outlandish stunts and fantastic action sequences especially a thrilling car chase through the streets of San Francisco which is totally unnecessary but a highlight of this adrenaline rush of a film.

It helps that there's a cast of quality support players such as John Spencer who excels at playing bureaucrats and politicians (See his outstanding performance as the White House chief of staff throughout classic series The West Wing also), David Morse, Tony Todd and William Forsythe who give fine back up.

Despite both Connery and Cage being great it's Ed Harris who walks away with the film - just as he did with pretty much anything he was in during this period such as Apollo 13 (1995) and The Truman Show (1998) - his tortured general really gains the sympathy of the audience and is so unlike the one dimensional bad guys that turned up in films like Executive Decision (1996) Air Force One (1997) and many others from the 80's and 90's.

I'd not seen The Rock in years, but watching it on Blu-ray last night was a fabulous throwback to the last great decade of cinema as far as i'm concerned.

It looks stunning in HD by the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (103.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 29th May 2023, 04:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

American Graffiti (1973)

In short, director George Lucas' best film

A film so good it was practically remade by Richard Linklater as 1993's Dazed and Confused. So much so that scenes from this could easily have fitted perfectly into Linklater's film. It tells the story as a series of vignettes of a group of high school students on the night they finish college for good and go onto other things. Playing out as a study of the cruising in cars / rock n' roll California generation of the late 50's early 60's. (It's set in 1962).

The music is a big part of this film and Lucas beautifully inter weaves it into scenes in fact not a scene goes by without music,
but it's the way it's done that makes Lucas and American Graffiti so brilliant. The music isn't the films soundtrack, songs to highlight scenes, it is the film. All the kids have the radio playing as they cruise around, all the diners have it on, and it's the same pirate radio DJ - Wolfman Jack. The songs waft in and out of car windows and classic American diners as kids walk by. It's very difficult to explain without watching the film, lets just say it's ****ing amazing how it's handled.

The film also sports a cast to die for. Perhaps it didn't at the time but it certainly does now. - Ron Howard, Richard Dreyfuss, Harrison Ford, Kathleen Quinlan, Charles Martin Smith, Bo Hopkins... all just starting out and all quite simply brilliant. The standouts to me though are Paul Le Mat and Mackenzie Phillips as a mismatched pair duped into hanging out with each other on the one night they'd prefer to be elsewhere.The whole cast make their characters so believable, the characters are your friends, I truly can't say better than that.

Finally i have to mention Lucas and his crew on their guerrilla film making techniques. The way in which they get the cameras in and around the fantastic period cars as they weave the streets is breathtaking.

American Graffiti isn't a film you watch, it's a film you experience, it's a film you live. It's a film i love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 161.jpg (99.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 29th May 2023, 06:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
American Graffiti (1973)

In short, director George Lucas' best film
I agree with everything you said in your excellent review of this wonderful piece of Americana, especially your opening line.
Old 29th May 2023, 08:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Another wonderful Ealing comedy , this time the small village of Titfield sets out to save it's trainline , they have too contended with many mishaps and the owner of a bus company in a rival village who sees this as a golden opportunity. Simply wonderful .

Just like twins Arnie shows he has a knack for comedy. Here he plays a tough cop who ends up going undercover in a kindergarten to find the wife of a dangerous criminal he's trying to put away. A tough as he may be these little tykes are more terrifying than any criminal . A classic .

Probably my favourite Price movie which is really unofficial third Dr Phibes, here he plays a actor who seeks revenge on a bunch of critics who mocked and belittled him, using the Bards tales too dispatch them.

Well this was better than I though it would be , a woman in a Jewish village summons/ makes a Golem to protect the village but it looks like it could be a greater evil than what it was made to protect from. Part horror folkstory and story dealing with grief of losing a child.

Simply wonderful , a wonderful uplifting , funny and heartwarming tale as we follow a young bear with a disturbing marmalade habit whom comes to London moves in with the browns and gets in to all sorts of misadventures. I can't believe that anyone could dislike this movie.

The rare film which the sequel is better than the original , Paddington ends up behind bars when he is trying to find a present for his great aunt's 100 birthday . The Browns and old and new friends set out to help a prove our heros innocence. Once another uplifting and heartwarming film. Will they be able to continue there streak when the third comes out.

Now watching

Like this? Share it using the links below!