Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2023, 06:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Given the choice between the two, I'd much rather watch Seed of Chucky than Child's Play 2.

Seed of Chucky may not be a great film, but it's much more inventive, fun, and (to me) enjoyable than the first sequel, which I remember being quite formulaic.

Despite the on-screen presence of Jenny Agutter and Grace Zabriskie being significantly better than Hannah Spearit and Redman, I really like the subversive humour, the gore effects, and every scene with John Waters, so Seed of Chucky would get my vote.
Summed up perfectly. Thanks.

Seed of Chucky every time for me.
Old 18th July 2023, 07:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

White of the Eye (1987)

A serial killer is on the loose in and around the small community in the Arizona desert outside Tuscon, and housewife Joan White (Cathy Moriarty) gradually comes to suspect that her opera-loving hi-fi engineer husband Paul (David Keith) might just be the killer.

I really didn't get on with this the first time i saw it. I didn't take anything from the meandering narative and endless shots of the Arizona desert. However on a second viewing last night i came to appreciate it more.

White of the Eye is more Italian Giallo than typical American thriller especially in the beautifully shot death scenes which would give Dario a run for his money. Director Donald Cammell doesn't really meander as i initially thought but provides a kaleidoscope of imagery and ideas from native folklore to the emotional destruction of a marriage. Ideas that don't undermine but segue alongside the serial killer being tracked down by Art Evans' detective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1987 White of the Eye (Poster) (2).jpg (93.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 18th July 2023, 08:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tamara. 2006.

A unpopular school teen Tamara is lead into a prank that backfires and is killed. She rises from the dead too seek revenge.

Another horror that sees a good deal of bullying and a teacher trying to stand up for the pupil and then karma comes calling in some little brutal way. This is something that started off decently with Jenna Dewan playing the lead and having a bit of a day dream about seducing her teacher Matthew Marsden and then being brought back to reality. When Tamara rises again, either the director or actress must have thought let's change the tone of acting that does go way to much OTT to the point it becomes cringe worthy. How she gets her revenge is probably the saviour of the film that has decent effects with the so called loser of the gang which is decently. It may not be the best but can be entertaining.

p159547_v_h9_aa.jpg
Old 18th July 2023, 10:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Cold Light Of Day. 2012.

A Spanish sailing trip gone wrong with Henry Cavill who ends up saving the day. Here a plays a wall street broker with a supposedly average Joe father Bruce Willis, mother and brother who end up being kidnapped. Bruce Willis ends up with a very short screen time and reveals he is C.I.A. Cavill ends up becoming a new action hero being chased by Sigourney Weaver and a hitman. It's not the best film of anyone's career and you do pick up on a few bits, the ending was predictable on what was to be offered to our lead character. It may not be the best spy film made but can help pass by time.

p8886601_p_v12_ay.jpg
Old 19th July 2023, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Reef (2010)

I love going into films cold and although i'd seen this previously when i first bought it on dvd i'd completely forgotten how it played out.

The story involves five people on a small yacht which capsizes seemingly miles from anywhere off the Australian coast. Deciding the yacht is slowly sinking four of the five decide, rightly or wrongly to swim for it in the hope of sighting land otherwise they'd eventually be even further away as the upturned vessel drifted further out to sea before sinking.

What follows is a desperate bid for survival as the four struggle against the tide before realising they are not alone in the ocean.

Parts of this film are utterly gripping, i don't mind admitting at the finale i had my hand covering my mouth and my eyes wide open with tension. It created a build up of fear and terror in me i haven't experienced in a long time from a movie.

It's also genuinely thought provoking film. Do you stay on the upturned yacht or do you swim for it with no land in sight?

The characters are brilliantly realised. There's no bitching and moaning. Decisions are arrived at sensibly and this helped create the air of tension no end.

The shark attacks when they came seemed extremely realistic in their approach. This is no daft shark movie. The production uses actual shark footage with the actors rather than CGI as the Great White hunts them down one by one.

As for the question do you stay or swim? - I am actually a pretty strong swimmer myself and have awards for it, but there is no way i would have even attempted the swim.

The Reef is one hell of a nail biting film. Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-reef-dvd-francais.jpg (91.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 20th July 2023, 12:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Reef is excellent, quite frightening. The first attack genuinely looks like someone captured the real thing with a camera. And the rest also looks good. It was a bit annoying that I had to import a blu-ray from Germany (on the plus side, the image is great).

I was disappointed with the recent sequel, considering that it was the same director, was really nothing that special. I was very indifferent about it. In case anyone is wondering how they did a sequel, it's a new story with different characters also encountering a shark.
Old 20th July 2023, 01:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
The Reef is excellent, quite frightening. The first attack genuinely looks like someone captured the real thing with a camera. And the rest also looks good. It was a bit annoying that I had to import a blu-ray from Germany (on the plus side, the image is great).

I was disappointed with the recent sequel, considering that it was the same director, was really nothing that special. I was very indifferent about it. In case anyone is wondering how they did a sequel, it's a new story with different characters also encountering a shark.
I was wondering about the sequel from last year. Pleased you've discussed it.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 20th July 2023, 01:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I was wondering about the sequel from last year. Pleased you've discussed it.
As shark films go, it's still one of the better ones (so many shark films are really bad). But it's absolutely nowhere near as impressive as the original. Worth seeing once but certainly don't go out of your way to seek out a copy. It wasn't something that I felt I needed to own, or ever revisit.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 20th July 2023, 02:18 PM
Cult Veteran

Speaking of Aquatic/Shark films. I saw the trailer for The Meg 2 the other day, it looks really fun. There are 3 Megs this time around!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th July 2023, 02:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Speaking of Aquatic/Shark films. I saw the trailer for The Meg 2 the other day, it looks really fun. There are 3 Megs this time around!
Totally took me surprise the director of this one!!!

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope and MuckyFunster like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!