Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2023, 09:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

For some reason I can’t keep it in my head that Guardians 3 is actually out. I want to watch it it’s the best of the Marvel Universe. I might get around to it shortly

I think Doctor Strange was the last one I watched it might have ruined it for me lol
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th July 2023, 12:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Child's Play 3 (1991)

Eight years after the events of the second film the Play Pals company begins once more manufacturing Good Guy dolls. Meanwhile a now 16 year old Andy has been sent to a military academy having not settled in several foster homes.

A much better film than the second one. The setting of the military academy allows the film to adopt a Full Metal Jacket or Heartbreak Ridge angle with Andy at the mercy of drill instructors as well as the psychopathic doll. The acting is a step up as well with Justin Whalin's Andy nowhere near as annoying as whiny Alex Vincent whilst fellow cadet Kristen (Perrey Reeves) gives Andy more to think about than just dolls.

I have now seen all seven of Don Mancini's Child's Play films on Blu-ray and on the whole it's a very good series. The latest two Curse of Chucky (2013) and Cult of Chucky (2017) being the best with 1990's Child's Play 2 comfortably the worst but even that had it's moments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Childsplay3.jpg (17.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 17th July 2023, 06:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Renfield. 2023.

Usually Nicholas Cage films are a bit and miss for me, I did enjoy Willy's Wonderland and to see him play Dracula was questionable but I'm surprised how good it was. Nicholas Holt is the manservant Renfield in a self help group of people in bad relationships and how to get out of them and move on. The comedy is on top form right at the start it does take homage to Dracula 1931 in Transylvania and then heading to America after a hunter attack.The gore count is a lot but also add in some dark humour and you have 90 minutes well worth passing by.

Renfield.jpg
Old 17th July 2023, 08:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Horseman. 2008.

A nice little revenge flick from Australia that is a bit like Death wish, a normal working Joe's life is turned upside down and seeks revenge. Our vigilante played by Peter Marshall works as in pest control receives a tape of his late daughter in a sex tape being roughed up and now wants answers as to who is behind it all. This is brutal, the film does start with a killing and goes a bit slow then picks up. There is a bit of long moments of slow torture and a great deal of violence and the main character can take a beaten or two. As much this is a revenge flick there is a nice bit of drama involved that shows the guy being pushed to violence but still has father instincts in him.

p189396_v_v10_aa.jpg
Old 17th July 2023, 11:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Hard Way. 2019.

Michael Jai White stars as a retired soldier now a club owner who's brother died in Romania on a mission and seeks answers teaming with his brother's partner Luke Goss. Both actors have got decent films to their credentials but this is really not the best for both of them. There is some decent fight scenes even though Luke manages to throw a punch or two and Michael able to kick the balls out of the bad guys and take a punch back. The plot seems to be a copy of another film that has been done before.

MV5BNzUyYjFmNjYtOGY5OC00YjcxLTkxOTAtNzNiNTM0YTE5Nzk4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTE1NDAyNw@@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 18th July 2023, 01:48 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Child's Play 3 (1991)

Eight years after the events of the second film the Play Pals company begins once more manufacturing Good Guy dolls. Meanwhile a now 16 year old Andy has been sent to a military academy having not settled in several foster homes.

A much better film than the second one. The setting of the military academy allows the film to adopt a Full Metal Jacket or Heartbreak Ridge angle with Andy at the mercy of drill instructors as well as the psychopathic doll. The acting is a step up as well with Justin Whalin's Andy nowhere near as annoying as whiny Alex Vincent whilst fellow cadet Kristen (Perrey Reeves) gives Andy more to think about than just dolls.

I have now seen all seven of Don Mancini's Child's Play films on Blu-ray and on the whole it's a very good series. The latest two Curse of Chucky (2013) and Cult of Chucky (2017) being the best with 1990's Child's Play 2 comfortably the worst but even that had it's moments.
Wait... you think Child's Play 2 is worse than Seed of Chucky?

Okey-dokey....
Old 18th July 2023, 02:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Excision. 2012.

A disturbed teenager who is dominated by a over bearing mother dreams of becoming a surgeon and sets out to prove she can escape her mother's grasp.

This was a bit of a weird one, a teen seeing a psychiatrist who doesn't seem like one but nearly practises in hearing confessions is decently played by John Waters. Traci Lords plays the over bearing somewhat religious mother that can almost put Carrie Where's mother to shame who wants what she thinks is best for her daughter and putting up with a quiet husband and sick young daughter.

Annalynne McCord does play a great part as the young adolescence teen going through puberty and learning about the human body, does seem outdated and bullied but sticks up for herself while having dreams of people in pain and bloodied while almost achieving orgasms.

Right from the start we basically want to slap the mother and we see how ill her other daughter is and how the father is even scared to open his mouth. Although it's tabled as a horror this is more psychological sexual themed thriller mixed with some dark humour that deals with split or multiple personality disorder. This may not be for everyone's taste.

Excision_poster.jpg
Old 18th July 2023, 12:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Wait... you think Child's Play 2 is worse than Seed of Chucky?

Okey-dokey....
Given the choice between the two, I'd much rather watch Seed of Chucky than Child's Play 2.

Seed of Chucky may not be a great film, but it's much more inventive, fun, and (to me) enjoyable than the first sequel, which I remember being quite formulaic.

Despite the on-screen presence of Jenny Agutter and Grace Zabriskie being significantly better than Hannah Spearit and Redman, I really like the subversive humour, the gore effects, and every scene with John Waters, so Seed of Chucky would get my vote.
Old 18th July 2023, 01:22 PM
Cult Master

FB_IMG_1646600866263.jpg

Struggling to find the proper sound for their 10th album Dave and Co head off to a house up in the hills that was the scene of a serious of gruesome murders of the last band that tried to record there. Haunted cursed or what ever who cares because you will never get that drum sound again anywhere else. Struggling from writer's block Dave wonders the house looking for inspiration when he discovers a secret room under the house he may pay for a new found creativity with his soul.

When this was announced I was not overly interested until I saw a clip with Lionel Richie and I was sold instantly Honestly I don't think I have heard the F word so many times in one film since the 90s especially Dave it's like every second word and that just the first 10 minutes

There are plenty of laughs and some brilliant over the top gore and a few amazing cameos like the already mentioned Lionel Richie John Carpenter who also performs the soundtrack and Kerry King as the band Drum Tech the film also feature Whitney Cummins the stand up comedian who I'm not really a fan of but she was ok here. I'm not the biggest Foo Fighters fan but I have loved Dave since the Nirvana days he has a great passion for music and he is always a good laugh in interviews. Even if your not a Foos fan you can enjoy this none of their music is in the film at all well two intro riffs Dave plays but that's for comedic value

The Foo Fighters themselves do a great job with the acting well Pat Smear is a little ropey but he almost looks embarrassed to be in a film so the performance is very genuine and for that I can't criticise it at all.

Studio 666 is honestly fun but at 1- 45 I think it was a little long if they trimmed it back to a 90 minutes film it would of flowed a little bit better cause a couple of bits do drag ever so slightly. You have to take into consideration that this is a rock band making a film so that's where your expectations should be going in and who knows like me you may be pleasently surprised and get a kick out of it .

Pearl Jam high 5 Jeremy has Spoken
Old 18th July 2023, 04:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Suburban Sasquatch (2004)

My tolerance levels for shot on camcorder shite have dropped severely in the past couple of years. Not helped by the fact this film was interlaced to death on my dvd.

What i did watch was a couple in discussion about going to a party whilst driving through the backwoods before stopping as you do and being attacked by a bloke in a gorilla suit wearing a Poundland Halloween mask who then promptly attacked the bloke as some sort of demented proto CGI gore that appeared to look like a building block was seen in a blink and you'll miss it moment.

A few minutes later the sasquatch / man in a Halloween mask attacked a couple of fishermen, one of whom was desperately in need of acting classes, before it became too much...mainly due to the terrible image quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suburban_Sasquatch (Large).jpg (91.7 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!