Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2023, 09:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

I thought it was the other way. 6 was mild fun but 5 was absolute insulting garbage.
Old 28th July 2023, 09:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

A Time To Kill

Samuel L. Jackson murders the people who raped and tried to kill his Daughter whilst in Court and it's up to his Lawyer Matthew McConaughey to not only defend him but save him from Death Row. He is assisted by Sandra Bullock and Oliver Platt as well as his Mentor played by Donald Sutherland. However as it is in Mississippi, they have to deal with the return of the KKK lead by Kiefer Sutherland. Kevin Spacey, Charles Dutton, Ashley Judd and Chris Cooper co-star as well as an early appearance from Octavia Spencer.

This is an incredible Movie, even though its near 2 and half hours, it is fast paced with hardly any lulls nor drags on. The performances are incredible and it's a star making performance from McConaughey.

Cujo

A Saint Bernard Dog is bitten by a rabid Bat and turns into a crazed animal and ends up trapping a Mother and Child in Car after killing some people. Done in 1983, the F/X were practical and more realistic but there's only 3 kills but it focuses on the tension. It is a good film but there is definitely some lulls and it does take it's time also.

Mind you, the kid was annoying and getting on my nerves so I was rooting for the Dog.

The Bite

After a experiment goes wrong, a man is bitten by a Radioactive Snake and his arm slowly turns into a Snake. His Girlfriend, Sheriff and a Traveling Salesman try to stop him. This is quite an enjoyable little Film, well worth watching. Jamie Farr is rather funny as the Travelling Salesman who is able to get help from a bunch of Truckers.

When this got announced, I looked up The Bite VHS Cover and recognized it, so I have no idea why 88 Films gave it The Curse II moniker. Luckily I knew that it wasn't a legit sequel but anyone not in the know would just look passed it due to The Curse not being readily available in Physical Form in the UK.

I've used the original Artwork for this Film and won't call it The Curse II. The Bite with it's original Artwork is more enticing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attk.jpg (13.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (16.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg tb.jpg (11.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 28th July 2023, 09:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Sirocco (1951)

A disjointed reworking of Casablanca (1942) except nowhere near as good, in which Humphrey Bogart again plays a disillusioned idealist this time in the midst of 1925 Damascus which is held by the French army despite the Syrian insurgents attempts to remove them. Naturally Bogart aids the French whilst selling arms to the rebels.

Whilst Bogart is great as always and the studio bound sets are a revelation the film is lacking in almost everything else from a sharp script to a classy dame although Lee J Cobb is excellent as a French commander. It also lacks any back story for Bogart meaning there's no motive for him going what he's doing.

A film i've seen a few times over the years, this the first time from the recent Bogart box set from Indicator, and one i always enjoy watching but it really should be better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1931_p_v12_ac (Large).jpg (70.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 28th July 2023, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
A Time To Kill

Samuel L. Jackson murders the people who raped and tried to kill his Daughter whilst in Court and it's up to his Lawyer Matthew McConaughey to not only defend him but save him from Death Row. He is assisted by Sandra Bullock and Oliver Platt as well as his Mentor played by Donald Sutherland. However as it is in Mississippi, they have to deal with the return of the KKK lead by Kiefer Sutherland. Kevin Spacey, Charles Dutton, Ashley Judd and Chris Cooper co-star as well as an early appearance from Octavia Spencer.

This is an incredible Movie, even though its near 2 and half hours, it is fast paced with hardly any lulls nor drags on. The performances are incredible and it's a star making performance from McConaughey.
One of the best films of the 90's in my opinion. An absolute classic.
J Harker and nicholasrope like this.
Old 28th July 2023, 10:31 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

Cujo

A Saint Bernard Dog is bitten by a rabid Bat and turns into a crazed animal and ends up trapping a Mother and Child in Car after killing some people. Done in 1983, the F/X were practical and more realistic but there's only 3 kills but it focuses on the tension. It is a good film but there is definitely some lulls and it does take it's time also.

Mind you, the kid was annoying and getting on my nerves so I was rooting for the Dog.
I've always liked Cujo even though it's not thought of one of the better King adaptions, remember renting it on VHS when it first came out, if you didn't like the kid then you would probably prefer the book, pretty sure he doesn't make it in that version.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 28th July 2023 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Tidied up the quote for you.
Old 29th July 2023, 08:03 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory. 1971.

Roald Dahl's children novel brought to the screen even Dahl reportedly hated the screen adaptation. Gene Wilder playing the reclusive sweet maker who opens his factory to 5 lucky winners who find a golden ticket. After sitting through the remake a few times and returning to this, you forget how sarcastic a chocolate maker can be and especially Wilder saying stuff with such a straight face. Creating things on the spot and being unpredictable brings a different side to the chatacter even during the boat ride.A decent Saturday morning film.

1bff283e-ecbb-11e3-9587-56c7bb0cb330.jpg
Old 29th July 2023, 10:06 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
A Time To Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
One of the best films of the 90's in my opinion. An absolute classic.
It's been ages since I saw A Time to Kill and I remember being in two minds about it because although it's very powerful, thought-provoking, and superbly acted, I thought the ultimate message about vigilante justice and vengeance was troubling.

I've just put it on my Prime Video watch list (it's also available on Netflix and Disney+), so will probably revisit it in the next week.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 29th July 2023, 10:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Astral. 2018.

This was a blind watch and It seemed to be a interesting plot on a young student, finding out the secret of his mother's death and uses astro projectory to find her spirit.

There is no great acting, the actors must have known it may be bad and decided not to play their parts well or the director gave up at some point. It's interesting that there may have been some degree in the study of the topic of the film as the college lecturer goes into a lot of detail during a class scene, but after a second out of body experience feels like it's mimicking Insidious. Then towards the end it feels totally rushed to the point it does lack any interest.

Astral(Film)Poster.jpeg
Old 29th July 2023, 11:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Creature From Black Lake. 1976.

Two students from Chicago investigate reports of people seeing a tall creature like Big foot around the Louisiana swamps but nobody wants to talk about it.

Somewhat low budget film that may have been good on a big screen back in the day. The makers knew how to keep their audience attention by not overly showing the Creature, we get snippets here and there and shadows until the end and we see it go ape shit. The acting is decent especially with the local town drunk who practically falls flat on his face. We do get one or two laughs mixed in, think this one I'd re-watch again.

MV5BZmU0YTkzYjYtNzk2Zi00MzFkLTkxZGMtMmY3OWE4Y2IxODJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
Old 29th July 2023, 12:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey (2023)

Christopher Robin returns to the 100 Acre Wood several years after leaving for college to find Pooh and Piglet have turned into feral hulking killers. Meanwhile a group of uni girls have rented a nearby property for a weekend of fun.

The lovable characters that were Piglet and Winnie the Pooh are long gone thanks to Robin leaving them to fend for themselves when he left them in the woods without food. Basically they are a savage bear and pig who will kill anything to eat.

I went into this expecting the worst but having been intrigued as to how dreadful a film it was by the outraged reviews on IMDB. I imagine those who said that, and there are many, are Pooh devotees or people whose cinematic experiences haven't gone any further than the MCU and Disney +. Naturally it was critically mauled as well.

It's a film that's remarkably well shot and beautifully lit to say it all takes place at night. For a low budget indie movie it looks great. The acting from the unknown cast is variable but never terrible and the gore effects are excellent as are the weird and creepy masks of Pooh and especially Piglet. At eighty minutes there's enough going on to maintain interest with a final half hour which i thought was great fun.

So whilst this is never going to be anyones choice as a favourite slasher film it has a lot more going for it than say The Prey, Trapped Alive, Doom Asylum, Deadly Games and Girls Nite Out, all of which have had boutique releases by Arrow Video for instance and this was way better than The Banana Splits Movie too.

Like this? Share it using the links below!