All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2023, 10:55 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Devil's Den (2006)

Devon Sawa and his mate stumble on a strip joint out in the desert inhabited by ghouls and are about to become the midnight feast when they are saved by fellow patrons Kelly Hu and Ken Foree - both contract killers and both here for the night or should i say fight, of their lives.

I've seen Devil's Den loads of times through the years. Despite it being a low (ish) budget From Dusk Till Dawn knock off it's incredibly entertaining with creative gore, cool fighting and in Foree, Hu and Sawa a fun cast with great chemistry who are always worth watching
Sounds interesting Dem. I've never even heard of this one. Whatever happened to Devon Sawa.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 27th July 2023, 10:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Sounds interesting Dem. I've never even heard of this one.
I might be wrong but i don't think it even got a release over here.

It's an American dvd with a nice metallic slip cover. I imagine it was featured in Rue Morgue magazine at the time which was a mag i felt i could trust with their reviews of films i'd never heard of.

That and the fact in those days it was probably only a fiver delivered from one of the US importers like AllYourMusic.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 27th July 2023, 11:09 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I might be wrong but i don't think it even got a release over here.

It's an American dvd with a nice metallic slip cover. I imagine it was featured in Rue Morgue magazine at the time which was a mag i felt i could trust with their reviews of films i'd never heard of.

That and the fact in those days it was probably only a fiver delivered from one of the US importers like AllYourMusic.
AllYourMusic. I remember when I could have imported no end of US region free blurays from them through Amazon for under a tenner. Things like the US Warner release of In the Mouth of Madness or Blue Underground titles like Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue or the Maniac Cop sequels. Seemed relatively pricey back then. How times have changed.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 28th July 2023, 05:19 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Sounds interesting Dem. I've never even heard of this one. Whatever happened to Devon Sawa.

He’s still working, he’s in the Chucky tv series!
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 28th July 2023, 12:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
AllYourMusic. I remember when I could have imported no end of US region free blurays from them through Amazon for under a tenner. Things like the US Warner release of In the Mouth of Madness or Blue Underground titles like Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue or the Maniac Cop sequels. Seemed relatively pricey back then. How times have changed.
I bought both those. Madness is one of the old snapper cases.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 28th July 2023, 02:47 PM
Cult Addict

Has Madness even had a UK dvd release? I don't remember one.

nicholasrope likes this.
Old 28th July 2023, 02:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Has Madness even had a UK dvd release? I don't remember one.

I don't think so.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 28th July 2023, 03:38 PM
Cultist

no it as never been released on dvd it's only ever been released on video by entertainment in video and that was in the late 90s.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 28th July 2023, 03:52 PM
Cult Addict

Can only assume it's tied up in a rights conundrum over here. It's would be perfect for a boutique label and really deserves the bells and whistles treatment Carpenter's other films have got.

nicholasrope and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 28th July 2023, 05:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

EVIL DEAD RISE – Sometimes it’s enough to walk away feeling relieved. That was all I was hoping for really, so I’m happy to report I got more than I bargained for – ‘Evil Dead Rise’ is an impressive, even excellent sequel. The one from 2013 was interesting, I dug it, plenty didn’t, but I thought it was good, grim, just a bit ponderous with a few stylistic slips. ‘Evil Dead Rise’ is the real thing. I think what I appreciate most is that they just got the tone right, bang on between black comedy and gruelling, straight-ahead horror. A tricky mix to pull off, but it doesn’t grate. Other than that, it just delivers. It doesn’t sell anyone short on the gore front – for every sly, fan-pleasingly referential wink there’s at least one spill of entrails and a flying eyeball – and atmospherically it’s all there, very dark, oppressive. As a piece of filmmaking, it’s up with the best of the series; it doesn’t have originality on its side and it doesn’t quite summon the same feeling of delirium I always get from the first film, but let’s not be too reverential, this is really good stuff. Two thumbs up.

Like this? Share it using the links below!