All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2023, 10:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Bullitt (1968)

One of the films that turned Steve McQueen into a screen icon and the personification of the word 'cool'.

However it's not just McQueen that's iconic when it comes to Bullitt. Just as celebrated is his green Ford Mustang and the jaw dropping nine minute chase along the streets of San Francisco which is at the centre of the film. The POV shots as the car raced down the city's landmark steep streets made my stomach turn watching on Blu-ray for the first time tonight.

Bullitt has an enduring legacy to this day and is one of those hugely influential ground breaking American films along with 1971's Dirty Harry and The French Connection that spawned hundreds of rip off's (One or two from Italy i believe ) thanks to it's meticulous attention to detail and gritty realism in it's portrayal of police procedure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bullitt_poster.jpg (19.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 30th July 2023, 11:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fast X. 2023.

Dom and the gang are back this time they are targeted by the son of Hernan Reyes.

After the previous film and I felt it was a bit of a let down this installment made up for it, the car stunts are a bit the same with a decent bike chase in Rome. John Cena and Charlize Theron do returning have a decent bit of screen time and bring a bit of comedic action to the screen. Jason Momoa is the vengeful son who wants to bring some pain and suffering and seems to be getting in touch with his feminine side alot that does make you wonder if he is or isn't he which can be a laugh and does have some wit about him.

3312.jpg
Old 31st July 2023, 01:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Summer School. 1987.

P.E teacher Fred Shoops has his summer vacation cancelled and tasked with teaching English to a bunch of no hopeful students. He is also informed if the students fail he will be sacked.

Mark Harmon plays the laid back teacher who shows the kids how to have fun and begins to take things seriously. Kirstie Alley is the teacher next door who Shoops is smitten with but she is dating the principal Robin Thomas. This is certainly one of those feel good 80s comedy that will bring a good laugh especially with two lads who are fascinated by the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie and has plenty of decent acting. The film does go a bit daft bit isn't that was 80s comedies were about.

summer-school.jpg
Old 31st July 2023, 04:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

beyond-the-poseidon-adventure-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpg
BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (1979)

It's been a long, long time since I have seen this movie. When I first watched it all those many years ago, I hated it. So, after all this time I decided to watch the movie again to see if I still felt the same.
Well.. yeah. It's bad. An unnecessary sequel to the excellent original.
The whole storyline is awful. The fact that there is a fire fight on board as well just takes the p**s. What is this mess? I remembered why I hated the movie so much.
Old 31st July 2023, 09:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hostile. 2018.

Post apocalyptic film that centers around a lone female survivor awaiting rescuing after crashing her car and surviving the night with a strange creature hunting the ruins for food.

This does have a feel of a one woman show but not exactly, it's told in flash backs of a woman struggling In life and being a romantic film to science-fiction/horror is something different.Brittany Ashworth plays the female lead as the lone survivor on the outskirts of New York fending off one or two aliens while looking back at her life with French man Gregory Fitoussi who seems to be her knight in shining armour. How the apocalypse happened is not by a war but some sort of terrorist attack and where the aliens came from is never really explained until the end that gives out a good twist. May not be for everyone but it's worth checking out.

images (1).jpg
Old 1st August 2023, 08:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Who Dares Wins. 1982.

Lewis Collins plays the former S.A.S captain who gets embroiled in a activist group that are terrorists who take a American Secretary Of State residency hostage and demand a nuclear warhead to target a air base.

This was a decent action thriller that used real S.A.S soldiers to storm the house of the Ambassador but before all that there is a good build up thriller and tense moments through out the film.

Both Judy Davis and Ingrid Pitt carry off superbly powerful female roles written beyond chitty chatty talking women posing with small machine guns. Particularly Pitt who's performance adds a sadistic ominance whenever she's on screen and has a good way of killing people and making it look like a accident. There is a good band of actors such as Edward Woodward, Richard Widmark, Paul Freeman mixed in who give out a decent performance and able to take things seriously on a actual situation that makes it more believable.

This was one of those films that I may not have enjoyed but quite the opposite. Worth a watch.

maxresdefault-2.jpg
Old 1st August 2023, 10:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Who Dares Wins. 1982.

Lewis Collins plays the former S.A.S captain who gets embroiled in a activist group that are terrorists who take a American Secretary Of State residency hostage and demand a nuclear warhead to target a air base.

This was a decent action thriller that used real S.A.S soldiers to storm the house of the Ambassador but before all that there is a good build up thriller and tense moments through out the film.

Both Judy Davis and Ingrid Pitt carry off superbly powerful female roles written beyond chitty chatty talking women posing with small machine guns. Particularly Pitt who's performance adds a sadistic ominance whenever she's on screen and has a good way of killing people and making it look like a accident. There is a good band of actors such as Edward Woodward, Richard Widmark, Paul Freeman mixed in who give out a decent performance and able to take things seriously on a actual situation that makes it more believable.

This was one of those films that I may not have enjoyed but quite the opposite. Worth a watch.

Attachment 247298
I like Who Dares Wins. Got it on Blu. It seemed to be a tv staple when i was growing up.

I might be wrong but it feels like it's the most realistic representation of counter terrorism tactics ever filmed. That and North Sea Hijack. Almost blink and you'll miss 'em.
Old 1st August 2023, 10:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Summer School. 1987.

P.E teacher Fred Shoops has his summer vacation cancelled and tasked with teaching English to a bunch of no hopeful students. He is also informed if the students fail he will be sacked.

Mark Harmon plays the laid back teacher who shows the kids how to have fun and begins to take things seriously. Kirstie Alley is the teacher next door who Shoops is smitten with but she is dating the principal Robin Thomas. This is certainly one of those feel good 80s comedy that will bring a good laugh especially with two lads who are fascinated by the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie and has plenty of decent acting. The film does go a bit daft bit isn't that was 80s comedies were about.

Attachment 247288
Love this Film, holding out hope for a Blu Ray or even a DVD UK release
troggi and MrBarlow like this.
Old 1st August 2023, 11:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I like Who Dares Wins. Got it on Blu. It seemed to be a tv staple when i was growing up.

I might be wrong but it feels like it's the most realistic representation of counter terrorism tactics ever filmed. That and North Sea Hijack. Almost blink and you'll miss 'em.
No your right Dem, it does feel very realistic.
Old 2nd August 2023, 04:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

A HAUNTED TURKISH BATHHOUSE – Pinky nastiness from the director of ‘Wolf Guy’. A woman is forced into prostitution by her fella, a cheap hood; going from bad to worse, she falls prey to some Edgar Allen Poe-ism and ends up behind a wall after a fairly intense scene of torture, but at least she gets to round things off as a vengeful cat demon. How come? Watch it to find out, especially if you like Ero-goru type affairs. It’s grimy, pretty hard boiled, and well-paced enough to make up for the fact that most of it plays out more like a sleazy thriller rather than the psychedelic cat demon bit at the end that it’s ‘renowned’ for. Quite liked it, it was weird enough to keep me going, not the sort of thing I watch tons of these days, but it certainly has its admirers.

THE FINAL TERROR – I love to trawl for early eighties slashers I’ve missed along the way, so enter ‘The Final Terror’, a film of no great reputation – but who cares, I had a great time with it. The set up’s as simplistic as they come. College kids, working for the Forestry Commission, follow a river through the woods where it rains a lot and yes, there’s a killer on the prowl… et cetera et cetera. ‘The Final Terror’ tends to get ignored or panned these days. In part that stems from its ruinous treatment at the hands of distributors, but maybe also the director, who went on to become a semi-big shot, downplays its presence on his CV. ‘Fans’ moan about its derivative nature and lack of kills – there’s really not that much slasher action at all – but come on. It’s got such a great atmosphere. Forest, shadows, rain. Everyone uptight and muddy, taking a pop at each other, including Daryll Hannah and several other faces. There’s such a looming feeling of offness, that the bad outcome is inevitable and just around the corner, and isn’t that the quintessential early eighties horror quality? The sense of a great darkness on the horizon? ‘Final Terror’ has that, I think. For all this imminence, what does transpire isn’t that impressive, granted; a few stabby bits, a lukewarm reveal. Underwhelming, but NOT undermining. It might not work as a conventional slasher, but as a haunting piece of backwoods atmosphere, it’s magnificent. So, sod the naysayers – ‘The Final Terror’: I really, really liked it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!