Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179657Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2023, 09:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

48 HRs

When 2 escaped convicts kill 2 Police Detectives, Nick Nolte manages to get a Prisoner who's associated with them released into his custody in order to capture them. Was kind of expecting this to be of it's time but it's actually still a decent watch with Nolte and Murphy playing their roles rather well.

Oppenheimer

Cillian Murphy plays the titular character which tells the story of how the Atomic Bomb was created and the ethical dilemmas and ensuing trials and tribulations. This will mentioned numerous times when it comes to Awards Season but for me, I've seen it now and there is no need to see it again especially at 3 and Half Hours long.

The Muppets

When it appears that an evil Businessman is planning to destroy Muppet Studios for a Oil Drill, it is up to The Gang along with a new Muppet (Which is never in the follow up as it is mentioned) Jason Segal and Amy Adams to put on a show to save it. This is how you cater for 1st time viewers and fans of the original show and Movies with some great songs, meta humor and cameos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48h.jpg (11.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg o.jpg (13.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg tm.jpg (12.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 2nd August 2023, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

In the Line of Fire (1993)

Nineties thrillers don't come much better than this tale of a Secret Service agent (Clint Eastwood) playing a deadly game of cat and mouse with a professional assassin (John Malkovich) who is out to kill the President.

A film which is 30 years old (Scary how time flies) and no matter how many times i watch it, it never feels dated nor does it become tiresome and it always grips.
Old 3rd August 2023, 02:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
A HAUNTED TURKISH BATHHOUSE – Pinky nastiness from the director of ‘Wolf Guy’. A woman is forced into prostitution by her fella, a cheap hood; going from bad to worse, she falls prey to some Edgar Allen Poe-ism and ends up behind a wall after a fairly intense scene of torture, but at least she gets to round things off as a vengeful cat demon. How come? Watch it to find out, especially if you like Ero-goru type affairs. It’s grimy, pretty hard boiled, and well-paced enough to make up for the fact that most of it plays out more like a sleazy thriller rather than the psychedelic cat demon bit at the end that it’s ‘renowned’ for. Quite liked it, it was weird enough to keep me going, not the sort of thing I watch tons of these days, but it certainly has its admirers.
I love the sound of this one, Frankie, my friend. I don't think that I've seen enough films from the late 60s to early 70s, Japanese "grind house". I thank you, muchly, for giving it a bit of an airing for your fellow Labbers.

Monster Magnet
Old 3rd August 2023, 09:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. Rocket's past comes back to haunt him and when he's severely wounded in an attack the Guardians plan a dangerous mission to gain critical info on his design - only to come up against a a genocidal mad scientist hell bent on creating his idea of the perfect species. The final of the Guardians trilogy was a lot of fun, better than I was expecting tbh, particularly with its butt-numbing running time (why does everything have to be 2 and a half hours plus these days?).But it kept me engaged and interested in throughout, though like MI7 I might have flagged if I'd seen it at the cinema rather than at home. Still, probably the best new film I've seen this year. Granted I've only seen about four but there you go...
Old 4th August 2023, 06:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Row 19. 2021

A young girl survives a unexplained plane crash, years later she and her daughter are on board a plane and believes something supernatural is on board.

Something a bit different from Russia with a not so big cast and maybe something from a old Russian urban legend or myth mixed in to the story. I'm not gonna lie, this was a bit of a slow burner, introducing to the other characters could have been done a bit better. Anything you watch with planes can have the dark atmospheric tone, this does seem to play on the psychological of a child going through a traumatic experience and slowly conquering a fear only for it to be real scenario.

I found a english audio version and yeah it is badly dubbed, a 6 year old girl sounds like she was voiced by a late teen. Some good visual effects are mixed in, it's not one I'd say to go out and buy it quickly.

images (2).jpg
Old 4th August 2023, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Rental (2020, Dave Franco)

Dan Stevens and Alison Brie head up a small cast when two brothers and their respective partners head off for some seclusion by the sea.
A surprise turns sour in the aftermath of the first night of fun.
Decent enough, it has flaws but I enjoyed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Rental.jpg (105.9 KB, 3 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th August 2023, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Aquaslash. 2019.

High school graduates decide to party at a water park where they are being targeted by a serial killer.

This must have been good on paper but to be honest at 70 minutes this totally dragged in, good kill at the start and a bit in the middle. We see the set up for the big kill and a daft twist ending that made no sense. Seriously this is forgettable.

images (3).jpg
Old 4th August 2023, 09:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

My second watch of this superb modern blockbuster. Well scripted with thrilling aerial sequences and a great cast.

A showcase film for high definition picture and sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (61.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 4th August 2023, 10:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Slither. A small town comes under attack from alien worms. This mid 2000s comedy horror fromm James Gunn and starring Nathan Fillion didn't impress me all that much at the cinema but I enjoyed it more this time, though it does fall apart a little at the end. Fun though.
Old 5th August 2023, 10:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
I love the sound of this one, Frankie, my friend. I don't think that I've seen enough films from the late 60s to early 70s, Japanese "grind house". I thank you, muchly, for giving it a bit of an airing for your fellow Labbers.
My pleasure, and nice to hear from you.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!