Twenty years and nine bloody sequels.
Saying that though, no spoils for Saw III onwards

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th March 2024, 04:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)

Following yesterdays discussion on another thread i decided to give this a second viewing. Brilliantly it stands up to a second watch with ease.

Without going into any plot detail other than to say it's a film about a pair of mortuary attendants as played by the equally excellent Brian Cox and Emile Hirsch who late one night are brought an unknown and beautifully preserved body by the local police force who need to find out immediately about the death of the unknown person christened Jane Doe as are all female unknowns.

It's still a riveting experience from it's opening moments. I found it tense and creepy, bordering on the scary throughout with some wonderful ambient sounds making it also a truly immersive experience. I'll just add that i'd forgotten the final reveal of who our Jane Doe is / was and thought it terrific.

I said back in December 2017 it was probably the best horror film of that year. Well i'm struggling to think of any better since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg autopsy-poster-art.jpg (57.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 12th March 2024, 04:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The day 88 Films start releasing films like Atomic Blonde is the day I know I'm truly through the looking glass!
I hope you are enjoying yourself in the world of Tweedledum and Tweedledee.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 12th March 2024, 04:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Blood on Satan's Claw (1971)

This grizzly folk horror about the skull of the devil Behemoth accidentally dug up in an early 18th century field in England which slowly comes back to life by growing parts of itself on the local village children seemed the perfect film to watch following The Autopsy of Jane Doe.

This film is probably the finest example of folk horror there is and one of the very best British horror films produced to this day. Director Piers Haggard's film is a terrifying brew of witchcraft and superstition with exemplary camera work that puts the viewer practically at one with nature and the English countryside. It's also enhanced by a brilliantly eerie and beautiful score from Marc Wilkinson.
Old 12th March 2024, 06:58 PM
Cultist

Quote:
I said back in December 2017 it was probably the best horror film of that year. Well i'm struggling to think of any better since.
I really 'enjoyed' this film. To be honest i'm not so enamoured of horror films so much these days and prefer crime/mystery/psychological thrillers (although many can be horror adjacent). This one made my nerves jangle, and would be my pick of the past decade or so, along with 'Saint Maud'.
Old 12th March 2024, 08:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroid View Post
I really 'enjoyed' this film. To be honest i'm not so enamoured of horror films so much these days and prefer crime/mystery/psychological thrillers (although many can be horror adjacent). This one made my nerves jangle, and would be my pick of the past decade or so, along with 'Saint Maud'.
Saint Maud was excellent.

I meant to have a look at what films had come after Jane Doe to see if any were better in my eyes but forgot.

I really enjoyed The Pope's Exorcism when i saw that in December.
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 13th March 2024, 08:17 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Saint Maud was excellent.

I meant to have a look at what films had come after Jane Doe to see if any were better in my eyes but forgot.
I also highly rate Saint Maud and think I have seen it three times, noticing different and new things with each viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I really enjoyed The Pope's Exorcism when i saw that in December.
Did you mean The Pope's Exorcist, the film starring Russell Crowe? I haven't seen it, but the premise sounds interesting.
Old 13th March 2024, 11:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroid View Post
I dont watch many horrors these days, very rarely a proper decent horror comes along anymore, each to their own but likes of Terrifier not my scene anymore, might have been when I was younger, golden age of horror is 70s to me, nowadays they just keep churning out sequel, prequels, spin off, reboots etc etc to same old same old films now, another saw anyone, Netflix Tcm well tbh the less said the better it was garbage in the highest form and not even in a good or entertaing way either,
Pearl
Abrakadabra
Last night in soho are modern day masterpieces imo,
Much prefer likes of A24 films, vast majority well made, decent storyline, well acted, plot, tension atmosphere etc etc something a vast majority of films lack these days, problem a lot of ppl have with A24 they tend to be slow burners and some ppl just can?t cope with that,
The witch
Blackcoats daughter
In fabric
The lighthouse
Midsommar

Are just a few great one these days.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!