Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

demonknight 7th September 2015 05:31 PM

I attempted to watch, in its entirety, Messiah of Evil in HD from Code Red. I couldn't make it past the sixty minute mark. Terrible stuff!

keirarts 7th September 2015 05:32 PM

also watched CURSE OF THE DEMON and BURN WITCH BURN

Sort of.

Not sleeping at all for over 24 hours does weird shit to your head and I have to admit to falling asleep through sections.

Both are masterpieces, I will try and review them when I watch them all the way through.

Both look great and Curse is amazing on French Blu. It has removable subs.

keirarts 7th September 2015 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 461433)
I attempted to watch, in its entirety, Messiah of Evil in HD from Code Red. I couldn't make it past the sixty minute mark. Terrible stuff!

:mob::mob:

Just kidding, each to there own but I've watched the film many times and love it!

Nordicdusk 7th September 2015 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 461426)
Interstellar

https://grogsmovieblogs.files.wordpr...thm_.png?w=620

Wow... My head is hurting from this one. Great performances from all involved, the script was good in terms of dialogue, but the story - what the hell haha!
The last 30 mins threw me for a loop.
The action had me on the edge of my seat, tidal waves, robots, Matt Damon! Great film, didn't feel as long as it is either, close to 3 hours flew by. Soundtrack is awesome as well, Hans Zimmer borrowing from Philip Glass and 2001!

God Help The Girl

http://theminimalista.com/wp-content...-girl-2014.jpg

The polar opposite of a 3hr Sci-Fi epic head-wrecker... a homegrown musical based on songs written by Stuart Murdoch of Belle and Sebastian and directed by him too? If you're not a fan of the quirky Scottish band then you might struggle with this as it is a musical, but i love musicals and i love the lyrics of Murdoch. A lot of people have criticised the film for glossing over serious issues but in my opinion they get a fair amount of screen time and anything more might be a bit heavy handed!
It's on Netflix if you want to take a chance - not for everybody!

The extras on the Interstellar blu ray will blow your mind as much as the film itself it explains the ending in very scientific terms but it does help honest :lol:

Justin101 7th September 2015 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 461438)
The extras on the Interstellar blu ray will blow your mind as much as the film itself it explains the ending in very scientific terms but it does help honest :lol:

I watched it on Sky Movies, but I do plan to buy the Blu when it's in the 3 for 20 offer! I look forward to seeing the science behind the ending.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th September 2015 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
VHS 2 (2013)

More of the same nonsense that VHS gave us. Shaky cam footage that's supposedly taken from old vhs tapes. It didn't work before and this is no better...in fact it's dreadful.

Nordicdusk 7th September 2015 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 461446)
VHS 2 (2013)

More of the same nonsense that VHS gave us. Shaky cam footage that's supposedly taken from old vhs tapes. It didn't work before and this is no better...in fact it's dreadful.

I could not stand VHS i turned it off on the third story i think it just did nothing for me.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th September 2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 461436)
:mob::mob:

Just kidding, each to there own but I've watched the film many times and love it!

Me too - a phenomenal film. :nod:

J Harker 7th September 2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 461443)
I watched it on Sky Movies, but I do plan to buy the Blu when it's in the 3 for 20 offer! I look forward to seeing the science behind the ending.

HMV currently have it for £9.99.

nosferatu42 7th September 2015 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 461433)

Me 3, have a word with yourself DK. :lol: :whip:
The supermarket and cinema scenes are great, even if u don't like the rest of the film you should bow down to the bizarre creepy atmosphere of these 2 moments.:pop2:
Have rewatched recently and loved it, again. If i can ever be arsed to do a review,this is well worthy. i'm a lazy bastard these days tho.:rolleyes:

Gold6082 8th September 2015 06:00 AM

Viewer discretion is advised some of the below contains bad puns and may upset viewers...

Unfriended

When I saw on the cover the guy was behind Oujja and The Purge, I had very low expectations as I disliked both of those immensely. Also this type of film is also not usually my thing so I was pleasantly surprised,while certainly no ground breaking best film of the year or cinematic masterpiece this is a very enjoyable film that does not outstay it's welcome. It doesn't offer much new in terms of revenge nor does it confirm for sure whether the tormentor actually was a spirit seeking revenge or a warped internet troll. However it does drum home 2 messages 1. Facebook is bad news as just like in real life it has led to many murders,rapes & life wrecks. and 2. Don't trust anyone! 7/10

The Boy Next Door

Cliche Atrocious Borefest with Jennifer Lopez as a "cougar" who ends up with a nightmare on sesame street after big bird makes the mistake of sleeping with a deranged Muppet Gonzo, What comes next is the usual that we've seen 50,000 times Gonzo doesn't appreciate being spurned and proves he is unhinged and a bad loser in love. Nothing we haven't seen before,it offers nothing new whatsoever and has an extremely annoying actress that sounds like Sharon Osborne after abusing Laughing gas. absolutely pointless,if you're not asleep by the end you'll be mourning the loss of 86 minutes of your life "ain't it funny" how these things pan out! 1/10

Eaten Alive

I never liked Texas chainsaw Massacre, I never knew what was so fantastic that 99% of the population think it is some kind of holy grail. It is slow boring and dated (I know I know but we all have 1 "huge" film in horror everyone loves and you don't!) Anyway welcome eaten alive a totally different Beast with an impressive cast and some hilariously bad lines. Neville Brand mutters psycho babble before feeding his motel guests to a croc,Robert Englund has a short lived appearance & Mel Ferrer arrives on the scene at least if Plan H doesn't work we can go with plan B!

Arrow's Blu looks stunning the colours are fantastic and pop the red scenes now look blood red not washed out like a sons & daughters sepia frame where you expect a scene to end with "Love is very strange it can come and go.." when arrow gets it right it really gets it right. The film is odd but a "scythe" for sore eyes on this blu ;) 6/10

Nightbeast

E.t's stool sample with teeth arrives with a hologram gun stolen from a space invaders arcade machine & starts taking pot shots turning a town's resident's into lilac and pink silouettes before they disappear some cheap gore which doesn't look bad for the budget,this is fun if not taken seriously. 4/10

Morturis

Gory excellent homage to the likes of Fulci,lenzi & Bava with a wink to the spanish Blind dead series. As always being a Synapse release Blu Don is a perfectionist with quality and as always with synapse you know a fantastic transfer is a certainty. 7/10

The Omen (original)

We've all seen it the kills still look good especially Warner's demise with the lorry and sheet of glass,Bruce Boa turns up briefly at the party at the beginning well done on him for not asking gregory peck for a waldorf salad. 8/10

I love this film it is underated and harshly hammered by some critics. Samuel Jackson warns John Cusack that room 1408 of his hotel is really not a wise choice for his stay in order to get experience for his new book. Films like this one and Carpenter's In the mouth if madness as well as others seem to have a hatred for the Carpenters song "we've only just begun" I doubt their managers would of been "on top of the world" about that! 8/10

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (remake)

half remake half sequel. Not bad it attempts to go back to the slasher style appreciated in the 80's but it's average at best but it was good to see American Horror Story's Dennis O' hare turn up. 5/10

Frankenhooker 8th September 2015 06:55 AM

Unfriended dropped through the letterbox yesterday, the odd thing is I can't remember ever ordering it. There's a chance the missus ordered it, but she hasn't said anything. I'm really going to have to start reading my emails.

At least it sounds like it won't be a complete waste of £10.

Frankie Teardrop 8th September 2015 12:48 PM

THE CHANGELING – George C Scott is a composer who's struggling with the loss of his wife and kid. When he moves into a new place – OK, 'place' being mansion which looks radically open to haunting – things start to get a bit odd. There's this banging in the pipes, and possibly the the first cinematic manifestation of a “ball bouncing down stairs signposts ghost of child” moment. 'The Changeling' is interesting in that it flips the standard 'haunting' riff over into supernatural murder mystery territory. Before this transition comes a steady build up of atmosphere and fraught conversations with letting agents. Pretty good, but I wanted more. A quite disturbing drowning scene seemed out of place enough to evoke the feeling of a different kind of movie.

THE CONJURING – I suppose this is part of that post-'Insidious' wave of multiplex jump-scare schtick. I saw it at the cinema when it first came out a couple of years ago – I don't know what I was expecting. It's alright. Watching it on Amazon Prime or whatever the other day left me feeling a bit weary, though – although it's nicely put together in a visual sense, its progression lies squarely within the 'boo!' moment. Scene upon scene lays on the same tactic and risks blunting some nice imagery – hands emerging from the dark, clapping. That doll sold it to some, including me – but it's not in it much.

THE BUTTERFLY ROOM – I was a bit nonplussed when I saw this last year, but I really quite liked it on second viewing. It's about an ageing Barbara Steele and the creepy relationship she strikes up with an adrift-seeming youngster. The latter is the daughter of a specialty hooker (amputee), and soon turns out to have an agenda of her own. Enjoyably twisted meditation on the mother-daughter angle let down formally by some tacky abstruseness (film running backwards when we venture into the past etc etc). Interesting to have a genre film tackle a realm where the only important relations are those between women, although it is directed by a guy. Full of old horror stars.

BURIAL OF THE RATS – 'Bram Stoker' (or his nineties American TV equivalent) and his dad are waylaid by a cult of rat worshipping rad feminists in this bedraggled bit of rubbish. I say 'feminists', but they seem quite keen in hanging out in rat skin bikinis and scenes of mild softcore, so I don't think Laura Mulvey will be holding her breath. What IS important is that you get to see a dignity defying Adrienne Barbeau (“I'm the Piper's twisted sister”!) entice a bevy of rats into a frenzy with her frequent displays of flute playing. That, along with the cheap atmosphere of plastic pageantry, really made it for me. Enjoyable toss, made me feel slightly nostalgic for really bad pre-Horror Channel TV shit and therefore quite old and haggard.

HORNS – D Radcliffe finds that he has a new pair of horns and an ability to make others speak of their darkest desires in this horror-fantasy from Alexandre Aja. In the mix is a relationship drama which morphs into a murder mystery. 'Horns' got some lukewarm reviews, most of which levelled criticisms of tonal incoherence and excessive length. It IS a bit of a mess, and stumbles like an amiable drunk from black comedy to moody dramatics to fx-driven horror, along the way scrambling some moving and / or intense bits with cheesiness and loose ends (and a really lame 'bad trip' scene). I did however find it very likeable and absorbing, and was never less than entertained. A step closer to the mainstream for Aja, who seems to be putting those seventies horror remakes behind him.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th September 2015 02:41 PM

No creature is left untouched by the 'nature runs amok' sub-genre, so with Island Claws it was the turn of the humble crab to strike fear into the hearts of your average beach-goer.

However, these are no ordinary crabs... instead we have some half-baked scientific mumbo jumbo from 'crab experts' about warm water making crabs grow at an exceptionally fast rate coupled with some news reports about a dodgy nuclear power facility peppered throughout the first portion of the film, so with that in mind the bulk of the film can be pretty much discarded as viewers are aware of and just want to get to the giant crab action!

The giant crab (singular unfortunately) is a pretty impressive site when it does finally scuttle onto the screen (after some semi-ginat efforts crop up here and there) and certainly causes some mayhem, however it's all over a little too quickly and certainly doesn't reach the heights of some of the nature-sploitation fare out there in the carnage department. Still, the effects are pretty decent and at least manages to entertain in parts. It's certainly one of the best if not the best giant mutated crab film I've seen thus far.

Originally posted here: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/gen...tml#post461507

bdc 8th September 2015 03:04 PM

I've said it before...always be careful how you react to a woman's strangely formulated romantic advances...she may get frustrated and cut your arm off! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOe4I3NSgQ8

Gold6082 9th September 2015 09:57 AM

Sleepaway Camp II

Pamela Springsteen (Bruce's Sister) visits the "Glory Days" of the original by taking up the role of Angela from the Original. I enjoyed this as a kid on this revisit sadly my love for it is lost and a divorce is in order. The dialogue & acting are atrocious,the kills are not as shocking or well done as the original and I won't be in a hurry to watch it again, although the original & part 4 "return" I still have a lot of love for. 5/10

Impulse

Some dross with Meg Tilly & Tim Matheson about an earthquake who disturbs the balance & disturbs a town's residents state of mind. Nowhere near as good as the artwork or plot suggests in fact it bored me witless 1/10

Phobia

Fun Asian Anthology with a mix of humour,brutality and originality,sadly flew under the radar of many and should be watched at least once by anthology fans 8/10

Sweet Sixteen

A Decent Slasher on Blu which I had never seen before,it's not quite "Rosemary's Killer" but it certainly isn't no "final exam" either a young girls admirers end up meeting their maker,Patrick Mcnee stars 7/10

Shakma

Monkey Shines meets Night of the creeps, a bizarre film to say the least in which an aggressive monkey dances around on the loose maiming anyone in it's path especially a bunch of oddballs playing dungeons and dragons,Roddy McDowell is on hand for that row of tent's camp element. The gore is not bad not as much fun as Romero's aforementioned piece from 2 years earlier but great fun. 7/10

Beyond Evil

Atrocious crapfest where Lynda Day George Lowers herself to appear, John Saxon moves in with a witch that looks like Grotbags with haemhorroids poorly excecuted in everyway possible directed by "herb Freed" which sounds like a Cannabis Plant on Parole. 1/10

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th September 2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold6082 (Post 461553)
Phobia

Fun Asian Anthology with a mix of humour,brutality and originality,sadly flew under the radar of many and should be watched at least once by anthology fans 8/10

I've been meaning to check this out for a while now, so thank you for reminding me of it!

bdc 9th September 2015 11:06 AM

Quote:

Phobia

aka Prang aka 4bia, there's also a sequel called 5 Prang aka Phobia 2.
It's Thai btw. ;)

keirarts 9th September 2015 04:45 PM

Quote:

Sleepaway Camp II

Impulse

Some dross with Meg Tilly & Tim Matheson about an earthquake who disturbs the balance & disturbs a town's residents state of mind. Nowhere near as good as the artwork or plot suggests in fact it bored me witless 1/10

I rather enjoyed this one! :hide:

Metallicbomb 9th September 2015 08:58 PM

See No Evil
See No Evil 2

Fun modern day slashers, helps that I'm a wrestling fan. Shame Undertaker hasn't done a film can imagine him playing some grim reaper type character.

Dead Snow 2 - Just as good as the first with even more blood guts and action, I fount this one funnier but the first was a better straight horror so they both have there charms. ;)

Gold6082 10th September 2015 06:10 AM

Phobia 2

The Anthology sequel moves away from Tongue in cheek & scares towards Gore & Scares.

5 Tales this time instead of 4 with the best being story 4,followed by 3 then 2. Story 1 is average & story 5 could have easily not been added. Story 4 (the best in my opinion) is a gory creeper about a car saleswoman who takes vehicles involved in traffic accidents and cheaply does them up to resell but as well as a buyer being angry the dead victims spirits are none to impressed either! overall 7/10

The Happening

WTF? a bunch of appalling actors run like the wind (literally) as a few moving trees and bushes in the breeze make them crap themselves or commit suicide throw in several bizarre lines of dialogue about things like hotdogs and hayfever and you have a great nomination for one of the most pointless appalling films of the last 15 years...no scrap the nomination and just give it the :first::horse: -10/10 note the - don't miss the -

sidenote: thank christ this was a free viewing among a batch of blu rays given to me gratis & I don't have to mourn the loss of a single penny.

Body

short but very enjoyable film that was apparently shown at frightfest. The characters one in particular show a genuine reaction to the situation of finding a corpse lodging with them including a traditional but well portrayed cold hearted bitch 8/10 runs at just 71 minutes.

I have watched many horror shorts on youtube some have impressed me much more than any mainstream 90 minute horror has for some time I have put 5 of the best below for those who may not have seen any or all of them. I have chosen these as the best based on the following merits (those merits being one or all of the following) ... Creepy,original,thought provoking,pure fun,amusing,heartfelt

A playlist of them I made on my youtube account for easier access to all at once.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...sK94Rqi3przU5K

Demoncrat 10th September 2015 10:23 AM

Ah, come on The Happening is one of the funniest films I've ever seen. :lol::pound::lol::pound:

Watched The Awful Dr Orloff last night in French with no subs. I tell you this book is taking over my life haha.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th September 2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 461624)
Watched The Awful Dr Orloff last night in French with no subs. I tell you this book is taking over my life haha.

I re-watched the Sadistic Baron Von Klaus the other night so sympathise with your addiction! ;)

Demoncrat 10th September 2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 461628)
I re-watched the Sadistic Baron Von Klaus the other night so sympathise with your addiction! ;)

Howard Vernon can do no wrong in my book, even his turn as a "tribal" chieftan in Sexy Darlings haha ahem.

AANyway.....
Watched The Dark (1979)
Not the film I remember! Richard Jaeckel seems to be. in. a. different. film. considering. the. way. he. intones. his. dialogue
ahem. The rather dark (no pun intended) print I've had to suffer may have something to do with it. Or considering its rather chequered history maybe this is as well. A rather downbeat little film really, something that I have noticed from all sorts of films that were made that year. Coincedence? Or something more sinister??;);)

Also watched this "extended" edition of F&F7 (thanks to a mate). 3 headbutts doth nae make a film "extended" in my book. Though I have to say I enjoyed it a lot more on the level that as there is a strong faaaaaaaaaaaaamily thread throughout and of course the Staf, I know see it as the most violent episode of Eastenders ever.:lol:

Metallicbomb 10th September 2015 07:47 PM

Had a Mario Bava evening both of which i had seen a long time ago and were in desperate need of a re-watch. :)

Hatchet For The Honeymoon - Though not Bava's best it is a very good little film, half slasher/half ghost film.

A Bay Of Blood - The one that started the slasher genre? This was ahead of it's time and was a major inspiration for later films, with two kills from Friday the 13th Part 2 - being directly taken from this. I read somewhere that Christopher Lee watched the film after being interested in seeing what Bava had recently made after working with him 8 years before (The Whip & The Body), aparently Lee was apalled by the films high violence. I find it quite ironic that one of horrors most famous faces was appaled by violence.

J Harker 10th September 2015 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold6082 (Post 461616)
The Happening

WTF? a bunch of appalling actors run like the wind (literally) as a few moving trees and bushes in the breeze make them crap themselves or commit suicide throw in several bizarre lines of dialogue about things like hotdogs and hayfever and you have a great nomination for one of the most pointless appalling films of the last 15 years...no scrap the nomination and just give it the :first::horse: -10/10 note the - don't miss the -

sidenote: thank christ this was a free viewing among a batch of blu rays given to me gratis & I don't have to mourn the loss of a single penny.

Utter poo this film. Hard to believe this was from the same guy that gave us Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 461672)
Hard to believe this was from the same guy that gave us Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs.

Not for me it isn't. :lol:

J Harker 10th September 2015 10:50 PM

Really Dem? I get that all the have there faults but The Happening was exceptionally shittypoo. I mean nothing happened. Its 90 odd minutes of nothing happening, particularly ironic in a film called The Happening. And the nothing that happened didn't even get a bloody explanation. At least M.Night Shumbalumbas other films had a bloody plot!

keirarts 10th September 2015 10:56 PM

Deadbeat at Dawn

Jim VanBebber directs himself as gang leader Goose, who decides to turn his back on his violent drug fuelled lifestyle after one last score. When a rival gang kills his girl Goose heads out for revenge.
Shot guerilla style using money for his third year of film school, vanbebber turns in a down & dirty, bloody as hell micro-budgeted action odyssey with some fairly outrageous stunts all orchestrated by Vanbebber himself as well as some fairly well orchestrated fight scenes and some nasty violence. Its an entertainingly trashy experience that comes across as a mixture of Street trash and story of ricky as Goose pummels his way through the rival gang.

The disc also has some pretty interesting short films including my sweet satan which comes across as a true crime-esque tale of a small town satanist and drug fiend taking things to far, Roadkill: the last days of John Martin a sleazy, scuzzy gore fuelled tale of a cannibalistic serial killer. Doper a documentary piece on slackers who work dead end jobs and live for pot fuelled weekends, Kata a look at a Karate master going through his Kata and Into the black an ultra low budget post apocalypse rock odyssy with martial arts.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2015 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 461692)
Really Dem? I get that all the have there faults but The Happening was exceptionally shittypoo. I mean nothing happened. Its 90 odd minutes of nothing happening, particularly ironic in a film called The Happening. And the nothing that happened didn't even get a bloody explanation. At least M.Night Shumbalumbas other films had a bloody plot!

I'm not a fan of his at all. The Sixth Sense was a one watch film which i enjoyed but have yet to even unwrap the dvd i bought in late 1999.

Signs was so funny it hurt.

I would think my fave film he has anything to do with is Devil and even that's not wonderful.

Gold6082 11th September 2015 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 461694)
I'm not a fan of his at all. The Sixth Sense was a one watch film which i enjoyed but have yet to even unwrap the dvd i bought in late 1999.

I would think my fave film he has anything to do with is Devil and even that's not wonderful.

Since my review of the "crappening" yesterday this ironically turned up in my youtube suggestions which is hilarious and a great laugh it's better than the film too!

Amusing "honest" Trailer for the Happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVwt...lzfuw&index=12

Prince_Vajda 11th September 2015 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 461694)

I couldn't agree more. Not even the spoof in Scary Movie 3 could top the original in terms of silliness.

Buboven 11th September 2015 04:14 PM

Finally watched Bava's Planet of the Vampires.

Met my expectations, great film. Some of the shots, particularly when they explore the alien ship, are simply out of this world.

9/10

:clap:

bdc 11th September 2015 07:53 PM

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2vv6jhl.jpg

"A horror anthology. In the first, a man and his pregnant wife help an old woman bury a covered pot in a field. Believing that the pot contains treasure, they kill the old woman, only to find that it contains nothing but bones. The pregnant woman goes into labor over the dead woman's body, and blood from that event drips onto the corpse. The baby, when born, is fully able to bite his father's finger off and kill him. The second episode concerns an adulterous couple who, when discovered by the woman's husband, nail him up in a box and try various means to dispose of him, all of them somehow lacking finality. The final episode concerns a man who is wrongly accused and executed for a murder he did not commit. Using a bit of magic as he dies, he is able to return to his home for a few days as a very vigorous ghost."

Pretty decent HK horror anthology with part 1 being the scariest,part 2 being the trashiest and part 3 being the best and most moving.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th September 2015 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Amer (2009)

If there's one film that defines the term 'Style over substance' then Amer is that film.

Whilst intended as a homage to classic Italian cinema of the sixties and seventies this plot less piece of arthouse ploddery doesn't have a single original idea of it's own. Every shot, every musical cue, seems to have been lifted out of another better film entirely resulting in an often beautiful yet very uneven mess.

It doesn't help that Amer is practically a silent film either. At least where dialogue is concerned. Then again with no story line so to speak - the film solely depicts three key moments in a young woman's life - you don't really need dialogue to drive it along.

The films of Dario Argento and Mario Bava of course instantly spring to mind as do Goblin with the soundtrack, yet it's just not classic gialli that get's plundered. Jess Franco and his many zoom shots seem a particular favourite of directing duo Cattet and Forani, as does French erotic cinema of the 70's.

I felt the four short films as extras on the dvd worked much better than the main feature. In fact it made me feel that the main film was just three shorts thrown together to make a feature length film.

If you want a modern take on the classic 70's giallo then go with Berberian Sound Studio for the arthouse route or Eyes of Crystal for the more visceral shocks.

Metallicbomb 12th September 2015 04:19 PM

More Bava :woot:

Lisa And The Devil - really like this film, creepy atmospheric and with a great twist.

House Of Exorcism - i understand why people hate this, being a re-cut of Lisa adding in exorcism scenes in order to cash in on the success of The Exorcist. But i don't think it's that bad obviously i prefer Lisa and that was the film Bava intended to be seen but as a sucker for alternative cuts i am glad i got to see it.

demonknight 12th September 2015 04:33 PM

Deadly Blessing by the late Wes Craven. A watchable effort from the very talented Wes. Arrow's HD disc, for the most part was pretty good. Loved the extras; in particular the interviews with Wes and Michael Berryman. Also recognized the voice of the late Percy Rodriguez as the narrator at the start of the movie. He voiced many a horror movie trailer from the '80s, in particular, Creepshow 2. The whole package from Arrow is definitely worth a watch.

dis 12th September 2015 05:51 PM

hi guys, just watched "A/U MORDUM"!
found it to be a bit boring ,but very brutal.
strangely enough,I've still yet to see A/UNDERGROUND, which I have, but just fancied watching MORDUM.
also got A/U PENANCE to view.

thanks

Prince_Vajda 12th September 2015 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallicbomb (Post 461787)
More Bava :woot:

Lisa And The Devil - really like this film, creepy atmospheric and with a great twist.

House Of Exorcism - i understand why people hate this, being a re-cut of Lisa adding in exorcism scenes in order to cash in on the success of The Exorcist. But i don't think it's that bad obviously i prefer Lisa and that was the film Bava intended to be seen but as a sucker for alternative cuts i am glad i got to see it.

I've only watched this once, and I was pretty disappointed. All I remember is a confused story and a quite inept leading lady.

Having said that, I know that I have the Arrow Blu-ray somewhere (one of the last that came in a white slipcase, if I remember correctly). Maybe I should rewatch the film some time soon.

Buboven 12th September 2015 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 461797)
I've only watched this once, and I was pretty disappointed. All I remember is a confused story and a quite inept leading lady.

Having said that, I know that I have the Arrow Blu-ray somewhere (one of the last that came in a white slipcase, if I remember correctly). Maybe I should rewatch the film some time soon.

I remember not particularly liking it first time I watch it but liked it a lot more second time round when watching the Arrow Bluray.