Like Tree179956Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2011, 09:39 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Got it. Love it! Though I haven't been able to track down anything else by him, I know a lot of his stuff was for tv . . .
Yes, unfortunately (and much like Soavi), he made a couple of great films and unfortunately seems to have mainly worked in TV and TV movies.
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 10th November 2011, 09:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
You were the dodgy reviewer we were talking about, mate.
I didn't realise -- that will teach me for not following the links!
Old 10th November 2011, 09:44 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
HG Lewis older films are much better than his newer ones imho.
Blood Diner is a HG Lewis Homage btw and not a HG Lewis film (it's also an unofficial sequel to the original Blood Feast).
Oh definitely.

Both Blood Feast 2 and Blood Diner are comparable in style/homages to Blood Feast (and to some extent Mardi Gras Massacre is too! ) - in fact I'd forgotten that HGL had directed Blood Feast 2 until you mentioned it, b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
The House that Screamed (La residencia) is very good,wish someone would release a decent "uncut" dvd of that one.
Definitely.

You should get Code Red on the case, b!
bdc likes this.
Old 10th November 2011, 09:49 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm another who likes no- to low-budget horror movies but Blood Feast was a weird one as, on first viewing, I thought it was so bad it was unwatchable and found it tedious. However, I decided to give it another go and loved it because of the ridiculous story, wooden acting, stupid script and outrageous gore!

Then there was onto the rest of the 'Blood Trilogy', The Wizard of Gore and the films of other inept filmmakers like Al Adamson.
Old 10th November 2011, 09:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Watched a film called The Mad last night starring the incomparable Billy Zane. That was a homage to Lewis in that beef burger patties attacked people and tore chunks out of their cheeks before turning said victim into zombies.

Its pretty bad, but it could have been worse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51zkA5NTRBL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (23.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 10th November 2011, 10:58 PM
Cultist

Funny games (Haneke, 1997)
A very good movie, cold and analytical. I have seen US version before, and I really wanted to see the original version. No bells and whistles, but pure cinema. Excellent and provoking.
Old 10th November 2011, 11:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm another who likes no- to low-budget horror movies but Blood Feast was a weird one as, on first viewing, I thought it was so bad it was unwatchable and found it tedious. However, I decided to give it another go and loved it because of the ridiculous story, wooden acting, stupid script and outrageous gore!

Then there was onto the rest of the 'Blood Trilogy', The Wizard of Gore and the films of other inept filmmakers like Al Adamson.
I think with super low budget films you need to forget any attempt to view them as normal cinema, they tend, especially the ones from the 60s and early 70s, to have a completely different aesthetic to what was happening within mainstream cinema. To me they show a brutal drive to make money by exploitation of popular cinema and cultural fads of the time combined with a need for more, be it violence, sex, gore etc. Add to this, oddball directors inflicting there own fetishes and interests on the world, artistic touches either by chance or design and you get some of my favourite films and directors along with a lot of tedious shite.
Old 11th November 2011, 07:02 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

A great summation there, MTDS.

An almost perfect description of the releases on the Something Weird Video label, too!
Old 11th November 2011, 07:22 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Forgot that I watched Argento's Phenomena the other day, which is probably an indication of my enjoyment

The absolute bonkers premise was very appealing (psychic connections with insects), but somehow the film felt really quite dull and plodding, and this feeling of ennui certainly wasn't helped by Jennifer Connelly who once again brings about as much charisma to a role as a sedimentary rock.
Drawn out scenes of extended bus journeys didn't help proceedings.
And even now after a few days I'm struggling to remember what actually happened that's of note.
Fortunately it's not a complete downer and I did enjoy seeing Pleasence as the peculiar and ever so slightly sleazy Scottish entomologist and it was nice to see a brief cameo from Michele Soavi too.
The last 15 mins of the film was the highlight by a country mile with all of the stops being pulled and everything being cranked up too 11, but it was quite a chore having to sit through nearly 90 mins of pretty inconsequential bumpf and fleeting set pieces beforehand. Still though, it really was an impressive denouement.
Demoncrat and sawyer6 like this.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 11th November 2011, 07:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Been awake since early hours of the morning so stuck on restless natives ...Great films with a sound track from big country is a bonus one of my all time fav groups..

Like this? Share it using the links below!