Step Brothers (2008)

*** out of ****

UPDATED WEEKLY
Old 23rd February 2012, 02:01 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I came back from watching The Woman in Black about half an hour ago and, having gone with reasonably high expectations, it met or exceeded every one. I loved the atmosphere: uneasy, claustrophobic and tense, all leading to some well delivered jumps, which in no way ever felt cheap.

I didn't know much, if anything (beyond Daniel Radcliffe) about the cast or crew, so was surprised to see Jane Goldman's name appear (as screenwriter) in the end credits. There is clearly more to her than the likes of Stardust and she can really 'do' horror.
nekromantik likes this.
Old 23rd February 2012, 02:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I came back from watching The Woman in Black about half an hour ago and, having gone with reasonably high expectations, it met or exceeded every one. I loved the atmosphere: uneasy, claustrophobic and tense, all leading to some well delivered jumps, which in no way ever felt cheap.

I didn't know much, if anything (beyond Daniel Radcliffe) about the cast or crew, so was surprised to see Jane Goldman's name appear (as screenwriter) in the end credits. There is clearly more to her than the likes of Stardust and she can really 'do' horror.
I just hope what happened to Immortals dont happen to WIB.
They cut Immortals for a 15 cert and the DVD release is the same 15 cert cut version. WIB better be released as a 15 uncut.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 23rd February 2012, 02:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

To be honest, I couldn't care less if they did or didn't. Brightening up a couple of shots and a little bit of gore isn't really going to change anything.

And before the censorship/only buy uncut brigade chip in, this wasn't censorship, it was a decision by the makers to get a key demographic in.

The film is cracking in the form it's in, so I'm completely blaise about a resubmission.
Old 23rd February 2012, 02:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
To be honest, I couldn't care less if they did or didn't. Brightening up a couple of shots and a little bit of gore isn't really going to change anything.

And before the censorship/only buy uncut brigade chip in, this wasn't censorship, it was a decision by the makers to get a key demographic in.

The film is cracking in the form it's in, so I'm completely blaise about a resubmission.
Each to their own.
I loved it but I like to have the movie the director intended, not edited by either the studio or classification people.

if I have no choice about what version then I would still buy it but if there is a choice I will choose to import it if its cut in the UK too.

I could care less if studio made less money by making it a 15. You should read a article on WIB and 12 rating. Its very true everything they say. Editing a movie just because its main star was in a tween movie is not good AT ALL! It makes me angry. This is a very serious movie and no where in the same tone as Harry Potter. It was not made for the same audience as HP so the studio is just being greedy about making more money. Its as simple as that.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 24th February 2012, 08:08 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just read about the cuts at the BBFC's website and it does seem as if they were brief, shortening some scenes of physical damage to children and adjustments in the contrast and sound levels, making a couple of scenes darker.

If it's released with the 12 certificate, these cuts will still be in place, so I hope it's released as a 15 in the version James Watkins originally intended.
Old 24th February 2012, 08:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
the studio is just being greedy about making more money. Its as simple as that.

Wait! A major studio made a film to make some money? How long has this been going on? Did anyone tell the papers, it's a scandal! Anyone would think they were some kind of business!

PaulD and Demoncrat like this.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:48 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've just read about the cuts at the BBFC's website and it does seem as if they were brief, shortening some scenes of physical damage to children and adjustments in the contrast and sound levels, making a couple of scenes darker.

If it's released with the 12 certificate, these cuts will still be in place, so I hope it's released as a 15 in the version James Watkins originally intended.
Apparently some of the cut scene where rather grizzly.
Looking forward to seeing how they look on DVD.

DVD and BD collection
Old 24th February 2012, 10:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched The Yes Man (dont ask). ok, book far better and very diferent (Danny Wallace).

Franco frenzy tonight! well if two films can be classed as a "frenzy"...
At least you cant say im not trying with JF!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th February 2012, 10:14 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Watched The Yes Man (dont ask). ok, book far better and very diferent (Danny Wallace).
Jim Carrey?

If it is, it is nothing more than a reversal of the film 'Liar Liar'

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!