All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179628Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2012, 12:50 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
and I keep forgetting it's Paul Feig, loved Freak & Geeks, loved his books.
I adored Freaks & Geeks - a brilliant TV series.

I was completely disappointed by Bridesmaids. I like this kind of film done well - my adherence to US teen flicks is a testament to such - but sadly Bridesmaids was more The Hangover than Mean Girls. Crass, unfunny and crassly unfunny with only a great performance from Melissa McCarthy of any interest. I was so disappointed and annoyed.
Old 16th June 2012, 12:51 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Have you seen 'Down Terrace' by the same guy? It's very good.
No - cheers for the heads up!
Old 16th June 2012, 02:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I adored Freaks & Geeks - a brilliant TV series.

I was completely disappointed by Bridesmaids. I like this kind of film done well - my adherence to US teen flicks is a testament to such - but sadly Bridesmaids was more The Hangover than Mean Girls. Crass, unfunny and crassly unfunny with only a great performance from Melissa McCarthy of any interest. I was so disappointed and annoyed.
Watched Bridesmaids and I agree. Watching the trailer this film looks funny and great. The Marketing guy is a genius I too agree this was like the Hangover with women. This then sparks the argument: are men just funnier than women?
Old 16th June 2012, 02:50 PM
Ex-member

No offence, but this is getting quite
Old 16th June 2012, 02:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I saw the 2010 remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street last night.

I have no love at all for the original series of films and have never owned the dvd, but i have seen them all. However this remake i thought to be pretty good, in fact very enjoyable.

It was fast moving, introduced Freddy quickly and wasn't afraid to show him. Its probably my lack of interest in the originals that made me enjoy this. Jackie Earle Hayley sported a more realistic burn make up rather than a dried up pizza and dispensed with the unfunny one liners which annoyed me so much about Robert Englund in the role.

Rooney Mara was very good as Nancy, i despised Heather Langenkamp in the original film, so all in all the elements the film is probably harshly criticised for are the things i think improve the film.

Recommended for those who think the originals are a load of tosh.
Old 16th June 2012, 02:56 PM
Ex-member

I didn't like it to be honest, and am not a fan of the original.
Old 16th June 2012, 03:03 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I saw the 2010 remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street last night.

I have no love at all for the original series of films and have never owned the dvd, but i have seen them all. However this remake i thought to be pretty good, in fact very enjoyable.

It was fast moving, introduced Freddy quickly and wasn't afraid to show him. Its probably my lack of interest in the originals that made me enjoy this. Jackie Earle Hayley sported a more realistic burn make up rather than a dried up pizza and dispensed with the unfunny one liners which annoyed me so much about Robert Englund in the role.

Rooney Mara was very good as Nancy, i despised Heather Langenkamp in the original film, so all in all the elements the film is probably harshly criticised for are the things i think improve the film.

Recommended for those who think the originals are a load of tosh.
Interesting analysis, Dem - and to a large extent I agree with you.

I, too thought Jackie made a decent Freddie and Rooney a decent Nancy (I can't stand Langenkamp either, and Englund's one-liners were indeed one of the major failings of the original films).

However, the remake just didn't work for me. Mainly because the terrible CGI effects completely destroyed any sense of atmosphere or terror that the film tried to create. Add to this the bland script and poor supporting cast and the remake was just (yet another) missed opportunity, for me.
Old 16th June 2012, 03:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
i despised Heather Langenkamp in the original film
I had troubling getting my head around this.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 16th June 2012, 03:12 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by damek View Post
No offence, but this is getting quite
I cannot believe that emoticon even exists!
mercury and Baseball Fury like this.
Old 16th June 2012, 03:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Interesting analysis, Dem - and to a large extent I agree with you.

I, too thought Jackie made a decent Freddie and Rooney a decent Nancy (I can't stand Langenkamp either, and Englund's one-liners were indeed one of the major failings of the original films).

However, the remake just didn't work for me. Mainly because the terrible CGI effects completely destroyed any sense of atmosphere or terror that the film tried to create. Add to this the bland script and poor supporting cast and the remake was just (yet another) missed opportunity, for me.
From what i could remember the script was the same as the original, and the crap supporting characters are only there to die anyway.

I was never bothered by the sfx.

My thoughts may be flawed as i'd just watched series one of Californication before it and didn't start viewing it till 5 am.

Like this? Share it using the links below!