Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st May 2012, 09:47 AM
Cult Addict

Machine gun preacher.

Not as bad as I'd thought it would be, they actually make the main character something of an a$$hole! Dose not flinch for one second in portraying the genuine horrors of the ugandan civil war and the brutality involved. Not the greatest movie ever or anything but worth watching, Michael shannon is very underused imo.
pedromonkey and antmumford like this.
Old 21st May 2012, 02:15 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Nice DePalma double bill. What did you think of Body Double?
imo BODY DOUBLE is a very underrated film and Craig Wasson an underrated actor
one of De Palma's best and one of my fave films of all time
got the R1 sp.ed and R2 dvds
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 21st May 2012, 02:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Anyone seen Dark Shadows yet? Might go watch it tonight.
Old 21st May 2012, 02:35 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Yep, HUGE dollops of Moby Dick...er...so to speak!
Oooh-er! That sounds a bit rude!!!

Presumably you are not referring to the Led Zeppelin song of the same name, which consisted of a John Bonham drum solo (stretched out to over 30 minutes when played live)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st May 2012, 02:35 PM
Ex-member

THE FLESH AND BLOOD SHOW - wasn't bad but I still think Pete Walker's best film is SCHIZO
Old 21st May 2012, 03:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
Anyone seen Dark Shadows yet? Might go watch it tonight.
It's a bit naff. But if you can stand the excentricities of both it's director and lead you'll find it entertaining enough.

DVD and BD collection
Old 21st May 2012, 03:32 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
Anyone seen Dark Shadows yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
It's a bit naff. But if you can stand the excentricities of both it's director and lead you'll find it entertaining enough.
I have not seen it, but considering it's based on a 1960's/70's American television show that (apparently) bordered on being a soap opera, I think that it won't be as well received in the UK as it is in the USA

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st May 2012, 11:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Raid - a really quite exceptional film. Transgresses the action genre into something far more. Camerawork, editing, plotting/pacing, acting, FX...everything is just top notch. The last time I saw a film of this ilk that was this impressive was Hard Boiled, twenty years ago. Yes, it is that good. See it at the cinema, there probably won't be a better film this year.

Croc - very enjoyable entry to the "Maneater" series. killer croc in Thailand, Michael Madsen...sweet.

Shark Swarm - another SyFy Maneater. This time relatively epic! Nearly 3 hours in length (was it a mini-series?) with a more impressive cast than usual. Good laugh, and pretty well done. In-jokes for horror fans (locations called "Spivey Point" and "Bodega Bay", a character called Bill Girdler, that kind of thing).
Baseball Fury likes this.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE RAVEN - People denounce Ulli Lommel as a purveyor of unwatchable trash - they're forgetting he directed the utterly harrowing 'Tenderness of Wolves' and the still great IMO 'The Boogeyman'. Detractors won't revise on the basis of this offering, which does at least manage to be head spinningly bizarre. I can't really sum up the plot of a movie which is more like a collage of 'arty' video sequences, but it has something to do with the singer of an all girl rock band trying to fathom her relationship to E A Poe whilst running from the clutches of the bald slasher who's offing her mates. The film certainly leaves many questions unanswered - for instance, who is the clawed figure who does nothing but drive around for the entire duration? Why does the bald slasher resemble a black nail varnished Irving Welsh lookalike in Rupert the Bear pants at points? Why all the nuns? Maybe just 'Why?' But I really liked it, I love the idea of Ulli cutting loose with a dodgy vid cam and basically doing a Jess Franco in indulging his warped fantasises (not that this is particularly Francoesque, but it has that combination of trash aesthetic and personal touch if you know what I mean).
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:03 AM
Cult Addict

Dodgy but fun monster movie THE OGRE. From the director of the new I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE remake. Not as good as that one and the ogre looks like its from a computer game. I watched this for the gorgeous Katherine isabelle (ginger snaps) and of course the legend JOHN SCHNEIDER. (origional Dukes of hazzard, Smallville and the new killer shrews sequel.) Actually a lot of cheesy fun.

Then HERCULES IN THE HAUNTED WORLD.

Fantastic looking sword and sandal odyssey from the genius mario bava. A lot of fun and the disc looks amazing.
Gojirosan likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!