Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2012, 09:53 PM
Cult Addict

Two more films tonight.

First was an Austrian film from director Markus Schleinzer, a protoge' of Michael Haneke. Film was called MICHAEL.

michael.jpg

A slow burning, chilling, suspensful and sometimes darkly comical tale of an Icy cold austrian man who keeps a young boy locked in his basement. in terms of style its VERY reminiscent of classic michael haneke. Very believable and lacking any melodrama the film is one of the best i've seen this year and definately outclasses even the excellent SNOWTOWN for sheer discomfort and unease. One part, where the seemingly quiet and dull office drone visits a furniture shop and buys his young prisoner a bunk bed, with the clear implication he's going to abduct another child sent shivers down my spine, yet as I said it also has some very dark humour, especially when the creepy scumbag goes on a lads weekend skiing with his bosses and his pitful attempts at skiing and seducing a barmaid to make himself look good actually made me chuckle.

Highly reccomended.

IRON SKY.

Don't think I really need to explain this one suffice to say it was something of a relief after sitting through michael. Not perfect by any means but very entertaining and takes a few interesting swipes at america and global politics. More could have been made of the nazi's interactions with modern day america, so perhaps a wasted opportunity there but the film is still highly reccomended nontheless.
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 26th May 2012, 10:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Two more films tonight.

First was an Austrian film from director Markus Schleinzer, a protoge' of Michael Haneke. Film was called MICHAEL.

Attachment 66352

A slow burning, chilling, suspensful and sometimes darkly comical tale of an Icy cold austrian man who keeps a young boy locked in his basement. in terms of style its VERY reminiscent of classic michael haneke. Very believable and lacking any melodrama the film is one of the best i've seen this year and definately outclasses even the excellent SNOWTOWN for sheer discomfort and unease. One part, where the seemingly quiet and dull office drone visits a furniture shop and buys his young prisoner a bunk bed, with the clear implication he's going to abduct another child sent shivers down my spine, yet as I said it also has some very dark humour, especially when the creepy scumbag goes on a lads weekend skiing with his bosses and his pitful attempts at skiing and seducing a barmaid to make himself look good actually made me chuckle.

Highly reccomended.

Watched that on my city's film festival and even met the star Michael Fuith.He's such a nice guy,he told me that people were scared of him during Q's and A's because of the role!Very shocking movie with a very powerful and meaningful ending
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 27th May 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 26th May 2012, 10:00 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Find A Place To Die - an efficient and well shot SW from the under-rated Giuliano Carnimeo. A few too many padding scenes of people silently riding horses through various terrains, but the excellent action scenes make up for this. Story seems to be based on Henry Hathaway's Hollywood oater Garden Of Evil. Sadly the US print of Find A Place To Die isn't complete, but it's only a few minutes.

Sand Sharks - excellent tongue-in-cheek comedy B flick piss-take. Everyone is clearly having a ball making it and the fun is infectious. Knowing and witty script.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 26th May 2012, 10:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Just watched Waxwork for the first time. Good shonky fun, in a make-it-up-as-we-go-along kind of way. That weird 80s mix of kids TV plotting and extreme gore effects - though it peaked way too early with the werewolf and vampire segments. I missed the inventive splatter during the lacklustre climax - could've done with a Raimi or Dante touch to liven up the material . . .
Old 26th May 2012, 11:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Just watched Waxwork for the first time. Good shonky fun, in a make-it-up-as-we-go-along kind of way. That weird 80s mix of kids TV plotting and extreme gore effects - though it peaked way too early with the werewolf and vampire segments. I missed the inventive splatter during the lacklustre climax - could've done with a Raimi or Dante touch to liven up the material . . .
personally I love the movie. You should seek out, LOST IN TIME: WAXWORK 2.
Old 26th May 2012, 11:29 PM
Cult Addict

[QUOTE=sawyer6;245152]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Two more films tonight.

Attachment 66352

Highly reccomended.

QUOTE]

Watched that on my city's film festival and even met the star Michael Fuith.He's such a nice guy,he told me that people were scared of him during Q's and A's because of the role!Very shocking movie with a very powerful and meaningful ending
Its actually become one of my favourites of the year. The central performance from the star was astonishing. Glad to hear he's a nice bloke in real life.
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 26th May 2012, 11:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

OUT OF THE BLUE - Dennis Hopper's bleak and disturbing portrait of familial breakdown in early eighties Vancouver. Its grim realism has a fluid, almost verite feel in places, but this is tempered by the occasional weirdly Lynchian vignette. Anyway, it's massively depressing stuff but still manages to move (although at one point all gravitas is almost overwhelmed by someone off camera doing a split second acoustic busk of Devo's 'Mongoloid'). Goes into overdrive and dips into psychosexual grindhouse territory at the very end, but even this sudden pitch into melodrama works in a film that feels like a rough, searing bricolage. I'd been trying to get hold of it for ages, but the dvd always seemed to be £++ and not very available - however, it's on Lovefilm and deserves a wider audience than it seems to have.
Old 27th May 2012, 06:13 AM
Cultist

Just finished watching Blood Sabbath (1972)

This is in the Pure terror 50 pack put out by Mill Creek and I was surprised how much nudity was in the movie, not complaining about the nudity just surprised how much there was.

I can easily see this being released by Redemption if they haven't already .
Old 27th May 2012, 06:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

American pie reunion.... tbh its first time in yrs ive actual liked a comedy cant remember last time that happend.. ive detested comedies for yrs because there just been crap or not in the slightest bit funny.
Old 27th May 2012, 07:06 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
American pie reunion.... tbh its first time in yrs ive actual liked a comedy cant remember last time that happend.. ive detested comedies for yrs because there just been crap or not in the slightest bit funny.
I have a loathing for the AP series. So dull and un-funny.

DVD and BD collection

Like this? Share it using the links below!