Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179635Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2012, 09:16 AM
Ex-member

Watched Clownhouse last night. Must admit a few parts were really pretty great in the sense that I thought they were genuinely scary. A minor flaw in this movie is the performance of the 2 youngest kids. It's not very good, though not distracting. What I thought was weird was that the clowns were quite clumsy at the times it really mattered.
Old 26th May 2012, 09:22 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Cropsey - pretty decent true crime documentary, which neatly sidesteps having nothing new to show us by simple and effective story-telling. A bit muddled at times, but excusable as the budget was clearly about 30 quid!

Lake Mungo - extremely well made "mockumentary" about ghosts and grief. Far, far superior to most of the crap "found footage"/fake doc things that have been about the last few years. A real gem of a film.

Confessions Of A Teenage Drama Queen - adequate teen comedy. Formula. Has Lindsey Lohan, Allison Pill and Carol Kane in though, so worth a watch.
Old 26th May 2012, 09:41 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by damek View Post
Watched Clownhouse last night. Must admit a few parts were really pretty great in the sense that I thought they were genuinely scary. A minor flaw in this movie is the performance of the 2 youngest kids. It's not very good, though not distracting. What I thought was weird was that the clowns were quite clumsy at the times it really mattered.
To be fair to them, they probably had greater problems on their mind during the filming
Kyle likes this.
Old 26th May 2012, 09:45 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
To be fair to them, they probably had greater problems on their mind during the filming
yeah, i guess you are right.
Old 26th May 2012, 10:29 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Tyneside Cinema Nos! 35mm print too! Get yerself on a train and get down there!
If I'd known about this week or so ago I'd have been able to make arrangements but, sadly and despite living about 35 miles away, I won't be able to make it.
Old 26th May 2012, 11:59 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
For some reason, one of the females in the movie had a lot of armpit hair.
Old 26th May 2012, 12:50 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
For some reason, one of the females in the movie had a lot of armpit hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Fem-Armpit Hair? Ugh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Damn hippies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
Ok - once again it seems that you males have no idea of what goes on inside a female world

Depending on what I am wearing, and whether I have to do it or not, I can (and do) go days without shaving my armpits

Guys - think of how uncomfortable it is when you shave your faces every day, and then imagine how uncomfy it is when you do under your arms every day. If you DON'T shave everyday, then you really have no right to comment on girls who have hairy armpits or legs etc. If you DO shave everyday, then I offer you a challenge - tomorrow you shave your armpits and legs and do it everyday for a whole week

Feminists of the world...unite!
Kyle and PaulD like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th May 2012, 12:51 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

here's a few films i've watched in the last week or so...

THE DARKEST HOUR: One of the worst films of the year, badly written, directed and acted with only some interesting Visual FX to keep any form of interest in the film. Had a neat premise that was never capitalized on and the film makes some major mistakes. Avoid.

THE GREY: I was looking forward to this but for some reason found myself looking for other things to do while it was on which eventually caused me switch the film off around the hour mark, that's not to say i think it's a rubbish film, i just don't think i was in the right mood to watch it, will give it another go soon.

DIE HARD: Awesome! nuff said

FOUR BROTHERS: interesting take on the blaxploitation genre that updates it to modern detroit. Great soul soundtrack and some pretty good performances from all involved. Has some pretty good action scenes too.

BLOOD CAR: Low budget indie horror comedy about a car that runs on blood, not especially funny or horrific but passed the time nicely. Worth a look if you find it on the horror channel.

SHOOTER: Mark Wahlburg is a sniper set up by a shady government agent played by Danny Glover in an assassination plot. Well made with some good action scenes but went on far to long. The plot was done much better in 1995' Most Wanted but worth a look for action fans.

THE KILLING MACHINE/ICARUS: Dolph Lundgren plays former KGB assassin now working for the russian mob in America who botches a hit in Hong Kong and finds a contract has been placed on his head. Actually a pretty damn good action thriller, less full blown action movie and more crime/thriller. Lundgren is actually quite a charismatic actor. Check it out.

CHRONICLE: Really interesting take on the superhero genre, more a rise of a super villain than the usual comic book style movie. Goes very dark towards the end and pretty much turns into AKIRA. Definitely worth a look. Recommended.

WAR OF THE DEAD: Action/horror hybrid set in WW2 involving nazi zombies. Very well made with some really good camera set ups and some really well choreographed action scenes. The plot should have looked more into the idea of the key and maybe have been a bit longer. Andrew Tiernan was miss cast as the lead as his American accent is terrible. Recommended fun popcorn movie though.

IRON SKY: Absolutely mental sci-fi comedy war movie about the nazi retreating to the moon in 1945 and returning 70s years later. Some of the comedy falls flat but if you look past some of those jokes and look at the ideas behind the film, it's actually a really great film. The Special FX are fantastic and there is a full on space battle during the finale. Definitely worth a rent.
Old 26th May 2012, 01:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Ok - once again it seems that you males have no idea of what goes on inside a female world

Depending on what I am wearing, and whether I have to do it or not, I can (and do) go days without shaving my armpits

Guys - think of how uncomfortable it is when you shave your faces every day, and then imagine how uncomfy it is when you do under your arms every day. If you DON'T shave everyday, then you really have no right to comment on girls who have hairy armpits or legs etc. If you DO shave everyday, then I offer you a challenge - tomorrow you shave your armpits and legs and do it everyday for a whole week

Feminists of the world...unite!
Notice how I put a in?
I'm all for pro-feminism. It's just fem-armpit hair tend's to put me off pulling the rope's. Just personal taste. Leg's? What the hell! Lady Garden? Give it a shot! But armpit hair?

DVD and BD collection
Old 26th May 2012, 01:34 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Notice how I put a in?
I'm all for pro-feminism. It's just fem-armpit hair tend's to put me off pulling the rope's. Just personal taste. Leg's? What the hell! Lady Garden? Give it a shot! But armpit hair?
I have always thought a girl with hairy armpits UNSEXY
and practically most girls I do know like to be clean and shaved, esp with this hot weather, and my girlfriend shaves elsewhere....not complaining about that!!

Like this? Share it using the links below!