Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180336Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
There's more mockabilly madness with added Hells Angels, zombies/ghosts and aliens in THE VIOLENT KIND. Here's the trailer which really doesn't do the film any justice at all. It's a great film and worth a look.

It's an excellent film! Unfairly slated, I thought... I remember casting around for reviews, and no-one had a good word to say about it. Again, maybe it comes down to shifts in tone. After a pretty mundane build up, suddenly there are weird characters, gore and even a Lovecraftian climax... I really liked it.
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:17 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

More rockabilly/garage punk madness is to be found in THE SORE LOSERS. Sadly this time the trailer is better than the film.

I like the German trailer best.
VicDakin and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:18 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
More rockabilly/garage punk madness is to be found in THE SORE LOSERS. Sadly this time the trailer is better than the film.

Which I will now post rather than the same trailer twice!

VicDakin likes this.
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:

I don't think any film could live up to those trailers!
I'm quite intrigued, though - is it worth getting, or is it way, way less than what's on show here?
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

It has been really wet in Bremen today - a good excuse to sit in my warm, dry sitting room and watch a few of the Blu Rays and DVD's I have accumulated over the past few weeks.

First in the old blu-Ray player was Troll Hunter. Its been a while since I first saw this (September 2010 and then again at last years Fright Fest) but it remains thoroughly enjoyable. You can count the good found footage films on the fingers of a single hand, and this IMHO is one of the best.

Next up was a film I hadn't seen before, Elite Squad: The Enemy Within. Its a sequel (I guess) to the earlier Elite Squad and is another intriguing peek behind the scenes of the battle between criminals and a corrupt and violent police force in Brazil. The politics and intrigue are punctuated by some extremely violent gun battles as the BOPE take on the drug cartels amongst Rio De Janeiro's favellas. Well worth a look.

Finished off with the portmanteau film V/H/S which you can read more about over in my Diary review from the Edinburgh International FIlm Festival.
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:29 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
First in the old blu-Ray player was Troll Hunter. Its been a while since I first saw this (September 2010 and then again at last years Fright Fest) but it remains thoroughly enjoyable. You can count the good found footage films on the fingers of a single hand, and this IMHO is one of the best.

I've been putting this off for such a long time now, feeling utterly fatigued with the found footage genre. Everyone says it's good so I really think I must give it a go.
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I don't think any film could live up to those trailers!
I'm quite intrigued, though - is it worth getting, or is it way, way less than what's on show here?
I've not seen it in years to be honest but still own the video but don't have a player to check it out. I was a total trash head at the time and seem to remember vast periods of boredom between the action scenes which today I rather like. Worth a look if you see it cheap I guess. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I've not seen it in years to be honest but still own the video but don't have a player to check it out. I was a total trash head at the time and seem to remember vast periods of boredom between the action scenes which today I rather like. Worth a look if you see it cheap I guess. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Actually, I remember flagging it as a potential buy, then being put off by the big price. Will have to check out whether it's circulating more cheaply these days.
Old 3rd November 2012, 08:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I've seen Monstro on Amazon's coming soon schedules for ages and thought it looked good from the cover art alone. Now suddenly its out and i missed it.

The Violent Kind is great, any film which involves rituals and a naked Tiffany Shepis is always a winner with me.
Old 3rd November 2012, 08:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Just finished watching Cheerleader Camp - gratuitous, gory and so 80's it hurts and I loved every minute of it! One of the best slashers I've seen in a long time and one that strikes the perfect balance between comedy and horror.

Like this? Share it using the links below!