Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th November 2012, 08:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I watched Act of Valor tonight on German Blu and while the acting leaves a lot to desire I actually found myself completely engrossed. o.k. its a jingoistic advert for the US military but the action is excellent and theres something about a well made war film that I find particularly satisfying.
Old 30th November 2012, 10:16 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

ALIENS. Shit gets blown up.

ALIEN 3. Not so much shit gets blown up.
PaulD and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 30th November 2012, 10:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Anderson Tapes (1971)

Sean Connery led crime caper about the skilled robbery of a block of wealthy apartments, by a crack team of criminals, but as with a lot of the best laid plans things go awry. What the gang don't realize is that they are being watched... by everyone.

What starts out as a hard nosed crime movie, somehow becomes a whimsical piece as it becomes apparent that although the crooks are under massive surveillance operations none of it is actually legal and none of it is done by the police.

The film's final setpiece in New York's closed off streets is particularly impressive as it clearly involves real people and vehicles rather than the obligatory CGI we would see nowadays.

An enjoyable piece of seventies hi-jinks with Christopher Walken in his first major screen role.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Anderson-Tapes.jpg (33.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 30th November 2012, 10:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Illusionist (2006) Didn't pull the wool over my eyes!
Pandora Peaks (2001) I'm beginning to think the Russ Meyer box set wasn't such a great idea!
Inglorious Basterds (2012) What the hell just happened? I thought I was sitting down to a war movie I think I ended up in some sort of alternate universe!
Old 30th November 2012, 10:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Magic Mike (2012) - Now I could happily watch male strippers for an hour and a half or even longer, I appreciate the effort they put in to stripping, I think it has to be the funniest of all art forms. Of course this wasn't all stripping and I did enjoy it but I wouldn't exactly recommend it, or watch it again. I mean the plot was decent, acting was fine, just not titilating enough, although some of the stripping was hilarious, you can see that in the trailer. I just love male stripper moves.
The Clairvoyant (1935) - A pretty decent thriller about a mind reader played by Claude Rains also starring Fay Wray, worth a rent.

and I haven't watched anything else but those two rentals as I was distracted with udraw. But this weekend I plan to unwrap BBC Ghost Stories for Christmas, A Nightmare on Elm Street box set and Profondo Rosso at least.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
But this weekend I plan to unwrap BBC Ghost Stories for Christmas
Can't you wait just a little while longer.?

If you put a Christmas tree up surely it deserves to be watched with the tree lights twinkling to give it that added sparkle.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Can't you wait just a little while longer.?

If you put a Christmas tree up surely it deserves to be watched with the tree lights twinkling to give it that added sparkle.
1st December tomorrow, perfect time to start! I'll be watching them all from bed no decoration in there unfortunately. Whenever I save things to watch or do closer to Christmas I usually run out of time.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Whenever I save things to watch or do closer to Christmas I usually run out of time.
I'm the same unfortunately.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I'm the same unfortunately.
Unfortunately, well fortunately in regard to having time to watch things, I've been signed off work for longer, I might as well use the time to watch/read/listen/play. Now I'll make sure I watch the BBC Ghost Stories Before Christmas box set before Christmas as I know I won't want to pull them out until at least next November otherwise.

The worst is when you save things, when you finally decide to watch you have a quick look to see how much it is now and find out it's been reduced by a fair amount. I do rarely purchase things full price though.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 1st December 2012, 12:54 AM
Cult Master

download (1).jpg

images (9).jpg

images (10).jpg

I had heard that Jaws looked great on Blu Ray but i was still not prepared for how fantastic it looked.

Like this? Share it using the links below!