Old 13th December 2012, 09:26 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
WHY ? I seriously think its a terrible film,
Invid Ninja likes this.
Old 13th December 2012, 09:54 PM
Cult Addict

Watched HOT FUZZ before bed last night, still impressed by the stella cast of veteren british thesps including the late Edward woodward. For me though Timothy Dalton steals the show going ott with his villainy through the film.
Rik and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 13th December 2012, 09:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Watched HOT FUZZ before bed last night, still impressed by the stella cast of veteren british thesps including the late Edward woodward. For me though Timothy Dalton steals the show going ott with his villainy through the film.
It's all for the greater good remember! I bought this on DVD for 50p a few weeks back, 2 disc edition too but I haven't watched it as it was on TV the night before, hence my purchase. What's the Blu like?
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th December 2012, 10:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
It's all for the greater good remember! I bought this on DVD for 50p a few weeks back, 2 disc edition too but I haven't watched it as it was on TV the night before, hence my purchase. What's the Blu like?
It looks supurb, sounds it too and it has all the extras as well! Not bad for £3.50.

Tonight I think I shall watch assault on precinct 13. (origional) Wanted to watch the tin drum but its not shown up and I have a lot of stuff I want to watch the extras with as well, I've seen all the extras on the AOP13 disc previously, and frankly carpenter on his own makes for a dull commentarty track.
Rik likes this.
Old 13th December 2012, 10:03 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

For me the Hot Fuzz bluray is worth getting purely for the commentary track with Edgar Wright and Quentin Tarantino talking about cop films for the majority of the film.
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th December 2012, 10:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

BABY BLOOD - To be honest, I've always thought of this as being fairly hit and miss in many ways, although at least today the hits outweighed the misses (the latter being, for me, too many comedic sideways shifts when I really felt it should've stuck with the grimy tone it seemed to set out with). Ultimately it wins for being eccentric and quite original in its portrait of a young circus performer's quest for blood to feed the shrimp-parasite-whatever pseudobaby lodged in her stomach. Her journey takes her through the dinge of down and out Paris, and she murders quite a number of dickish men along the way. I know people who rave about 'Baby Blood', or did at the time. I suppose it withstands the Henenlotter comparisons sometimes thrown at it, and, scene for scene, there are some wild moments - the lunging camera during a crotch-stab frenzy, a journey through a body in the back of an ambulance, the heroine getting naked and blood crazed in a shithole apartment. It just never quite meets my (probably unreasonable) expectations whenever I watch it, a case of something nearly great undone by too many flaws. But a film many admire, and definitely worth checking out for the few who haven't already.
Old 14th December 2012, 06:34 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
For me the Hot Fuzz bluray is worth getting purely for the commentary track with Edgar Wright and Quentin Tarantino talking about cop films for the majority of the film.
Ended up watching this instead, great stuff and I'd forgotten the blu-ray had one extra commentary not on the dvd. Mainly Edagar wright and Quentin tarantino making endless Michael winner jokes but entertaining nontheless.
Old 14th December 2012, 07:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Watched Sorcerer last night, bit of a slow burner to get started but a great William Friedkin film. The last hour of the film was awesome!

Also started watching Johnny Handsome, a Walter Hill film with Mickey Rourke. Will give more feedback tonight once I finish watching but so far very good with a great cast!
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 14th December 2012, 09:19 AM
Active Cultist

7/10

wdticon poster.jpg
Old 14th December 2012, 09:36 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Managed a triple bill last night! Hooray! The first two inspired by my excitement at seeing the first trailer for next year's Pacific Rim:

Godzilla vs Mechgodzilla/Gojira tai Mekagojira - 1974 Japan d: Jun Fukuda

Prime Big G cheese, probably Jun Fukuda's best effort in the series. Fukuda's offerings tended to be lighter, more straight forward adventures - a bit TV like. This was the first appearance of Mechagodzilla, here a pawn of the Simian aliens from Black Hole Third Planet as they tried to take over the world.

This is the one featuring the guardian of Okinawa, the splendid King Caesar, who teams up with The G to take on the powerful alien robot.

Excellent fun, you know what to expect and this has it in spades.

Terror Of Mechagodzilla/Mekagojira no gyakushu - 1975 Japan d: Ishirô Honda

A direct sequel within the ongoing chain. This was the last of the initial run of Godzilla films. This time, original visionary Ishirô Honda was back in the chair, and brought with him a less pedestrian, more stylish approach with a much darker, less frivolous tone.

No King Caesar, but this is the better film of the pair. There is far more going on in terms of character and plotting, and the more violent, tone really emphasises the emotions at play. This time Gojira faces two foes - a rebuilt, improved Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus a mighty aquatic dinosaur under mind control.

I really like this one, it stands out at a time when Toho were making Godzilla a silly family franchise, hinting at the newer, darker revival nearly a decade later.

The first pair of Mechagodzilla films make a fascinating contrast and hitting them up as a double bill is recommended.

My Tutor - 1983 d:George Bowers

One of those "let's lose our virginity" teen flicks from the 80s. Here less rambunctious then others with a surprising dollop of sensitive characterisation. Very heavy on T&A and sex scenes, this could well prove surprising to those who didn't remember such things from the time.

Most amazing of all is an early Crispin Glover performance as the hero's best friend. He is as odd as ever and seeing this oddness in a "leer at the arses" type rôle rather than a dour indie flick is quite hilarious. Also, Kitten Natividad turns up as a hooker and Kevin McCarthy is the stern father.

I admit I am biased, but I thought this was a decent 80s effort,. It's not as well done as Porky's, say, but it hits more often than it misses and is a brilliant time capsule.

The print quality on Mill Creek's "Too Cool For School" collection is perfect.

Like this? Share it using the links below!