All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2012, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 94028

Oh how i LOVE this film. From the neon lit wonder wheel to the dawn showdown on the Coney Island beach the film just pulls you into the world. Its such a delight to watch the Blu Ray the film looks amazing. Just watching the extra nice to see the actors after all these years talking about the film and how they got involved.
Watched this myself on Blu last weekend and was transported back to my young teenage years (when I wanted to be a Baseball Fury!) Magical film, aged well I think. I also enjoyed the extras, the actors have so much love for this film. Highly recommended.....CAN YOU DIG IT SUCKERS?
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 18th December 2012, 10:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) Steve Rogers wants to be a soldier, he wants it so bad that he agrees to become part of an experiment to create a race of super soldiers who will fight against Nazi Germany in the war. Unfortunatly for the allies Rogers is the only one created and as such isn't of much use so becomes a stage act in order to encourage the public to buy war bonds. But he soon tires of this and sets out to rescue hundreds of pows who are being held by Hydra. A part of the axis but an organzation with its own agenda run by the Red Skull. The movie ticks all the comic book boxes. A neferious villian, a cleaner than clean hero, flag waving, massive war machines and of course superhero signature moves. A little bit of location trivia for you: The street that the newly transformed Rogers runs down whilst chasing the Hydra agent is in the city that I live in....No not New York but Manchester in the UK. Its called Dale Street and for a good few months it was close off whilst filming was taking place. It was chosen as a location because of the architecture which was thought to be right for the period.
Old 18th December 2012, 10:39 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

[QUOTE=VicDakin;303472]And Bela is the most unconvincing gypsy ever,I mean he doesn't once offer to tarmac Talbot Castle's driveway.

VicDakin and JoshuaKaitlyn like this.
Old 18th December 2012, 10:43 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) Steve Rogers wants to be a soldier, he wants it so bad that he agrees to become part of an experiment to create a race of super soldiers who will fight against Nazi Germany in the war. Unfortunatly for the allies Rogers is the only one created and as such isn't of much use so becomes a stage act in order to encourage the public to buy war bonds. But he soon tires of this and sets out to rescue hundreds of pows who are being held by Hydra. A part of the axis but an organzation with its own agenda run by the Red Skull. The movie ticks all the comic book boxes. A neferious villian, a cleaner than clean hero, flag waving, massive war machines and of course superhero signature moves. A little bit of location trivia for you: The street that the newly transformed Rogers runs down whilst chasing the Hydra agent is in the city that I live in....No not New York but Manchester in the UK. Its called Dale Street and for a good few months it was close off whilst filming was taking place. It was chosen as a location because of the architecture which was thought to be right for the period.
The boy MTDS and I watched this today too. It's growing on me with each viewing. Next time I'm in town with the boy, we'll have a walk down Dale Street and see if he recognises it. Wasn't some of it filmed in Liverpool as well?
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 18th December 2012, 10:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) but Manchester in the UK. Its called Dale Street and for a good few months it was close off whilst filming was taking place. It was chosen as a location because of the architecture which was thought to be right for the period.
I always thought it was filmed in the Northern Quarter where they filmed Cutting It and Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes.

You learn something new... as they say.
Old 18th December 2012, 10:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I always thought it was filmed in the Northern Quarter where they filmed Cutting It and Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes.

You learn something new... as they say.
That whole area, Church Street into Dale Street, is now in the Northern Quarter I think. It's certainly expanded since I moved to Manchester about 15 years ago.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 18th December 2012, 11:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
That whole area, Church Street into Dale Street, is now in the Northern Quarter I think. It's certainly expanded since I moved to Manchester about 15 years ago.
Just how many of us live in Manchester? Yep that area is also now the Northern Quarter. As for Liverpool I didn't know that! Nor did I know about Sherlock Holmes being partly filmed here!
Old 19th December 2012, 03:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Death Valley (1982) I had never seen this before viewing the recently released Scream Factory Blu Ray and I was pleasantly surprised by this quiet little film that has obvious slasher influences. The atmospheric landscape scenery was photographed beautifully and the cat and mouse interaction between Billy (Peter Billingsley) and the "maniac" was a joy to watch. One evident flaw is how thin the plot can be. There isn't much to go on but I don't feel like that obstructs the entertainment factor. The blu ray looks and sounds fantastic to boot. I recommend it.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 19th December 2012, 07:52 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
After. Life (2010)

A young couple Paul (Justin Long) and Anna (Christina Ricci) are toying with the prospect of marriage when they have a chance encounter with Eliot (Liam Neeson), a mysterious undertaker who claims he can speak with the dead. When Anna who is involved in a car accident is declared dead, she becomes caught in the otherworldly realm between life and death, she risks being buried alive. Will Eliot help her, or is he being driven by darker motivations?, can he really talk to the recently deceased or is it all in his mind?

Performances are excellent in After. Life. Liam Neeson plays sinister so well, Justin Long who's not someone i have great affection for was also very good. Christina Ricci however is the undoubted star of the show, she gives a performance of strength through doubt and denial and turns in a performance that will have all lovers of the dead salivating, she spends a good performance of the film topless and is a dream come true for necrophiliacs and Marilyn Manson fans alike.

The premise of this thriller was intriguing, yet also undercooked. The final denounment was frustratingly left open. I would have loved a happy Hollywood ending, but even the director says she left it open ended for the viewer to make up their own mind. Generally i always see this as a good thing but not in this case. Some sort of conclusion would have helped resolve what was an interesting, yet for this reason flawed movie. Recommended.
I thought this was a really good film which thankfully has improved on repeated viewings thanks to the open ending. I don't always like events to be wrapped up neatly at the end of the third act as it allows your imagination to play a part in working out the dénouement or think through what you've just seen, digest it and maybe give you a completely different viewing experience the next time around.

The final thoughts in my review are:

Quote:
After.Life is one of the most interesting and well made films have seen this year which belies its modest budget and lack of experience by co-writer/director Agnieszka Wojtowicz-Vosloo handles her small cast extremely well, bringing out a remarkably evocative and brave performance by Christina Ricci who spends about 40 minutes in nothing but a red slip and about another 50 minutes in nothing at all whilst giving a performance worthy of her considerable talents and easily equal to the extremely strong and authoritative role she played in The Opposite of Sex. Liam Neeson has the potential to be a great actor and it's not often you get to see him on such fine form so it is a credit to the script and the direction that he is able to put in one of his best performances for years.

This is a compelling film and one that will live long in the memory. It is a film that you have to see several times to appreciate every nuance and clue that was laid along the way and I will probably watches several more times in the near future.
Old 19th December 2012, 08:40 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx_Barkman View Post
Death Valley (1982) I had never seen this before viewing the recently released Scream Factory Blu Ray and I was pleasantly surprised by this quiet little film that has obvious slasher influences. The atmospheric landscape scenery was photographed beautifully and the cat and mouse interaction between Billy (Peter Billingsley) and the "maniac" was a joy to watch. One evident flaw is how thin the plot can be. There isn't much to go on but I don't feel like that obstructs the entertainment factor. The blu ray looks and sounds fantastic to boot. I recommend it.
I used to have the pre-cert uk vhs release of this, it was a decent little horror movie imo and certainly got re-watched a few times. I got rid of it with most of my vhs collection fully expecting a dvd release that never materialised. So the blui is a must buy for me, hadn't realised it was out yet.
Jinx_Barkman likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!