Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179686Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2012, 10:11 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched disc one of Zombie Flesh Eaters on bluray last night
along with that discs extras. Hugely enjoyable so far. Checking out
rest of extras on disc two tonight. Well done Arrow Films.
Rik likes this.
Old 21st December 2012, 10:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Planes, Trains & Automobiles-3 favourites I should mention with regards to this classic comedy from the 80's, my favourite John Hughes film, my favourite Steve Martin film, and my favourite John Candy film.
For those unfamiliar with the story, it's about Neal Page (Martin) who is trying to get back to Chicago from New York in time for Thanksgiving but has no end of trouble once he meets up wil Del Griffiths (Candy) and as the title suggests has to travel by plane, train, bus and car to get home.
Cue plenty of hilarious scenes, such as the car rental F-word rant, the exploding car etc. Highly recommended for fans of 80's comedy
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 21st December 2012, 10:52 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched Prometheus the other night and thought it was fantastic! BD quality was fantastic (wish I had seen it on the Big Screen now) I have read mixed reviews about this and conversations about people being confused? All I can say is stick with the X-factor then if your confused by an intellectual plot, good acting, great effects and thought provoking ideas. Immediately after watching this I thought I could of sat and watched it again. Great film with some great gore moments. Anybody else pleasantly suprised by this or dissapointed?

Old 21st December 2012, 11:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I also enjoyed Prometheus. And like you I thought it looked and
sounded fantastic on Bluray.Will check it out again now that I'm
off work for the next two weeks. One of the best scenes for me was
the female character trying to abort the fetus inside her. Very intense
I thought. Decent script and good acting did it for me plus some
great gore scenes.
Old 21st December 2012, 11:29 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Without spoiling it for others, the part with the fetus is fantastically done me thinks!

Last edited by profondo rosso; 21st December 2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 21st December 2012, 11:59 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Good acting?

In Prometheus?

I hated it, by the way. My worst film of 2012 without doubt.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
Without spoiling it for others, the part with the fetus is fantastically done me thinks!
Especially when she's staring at the foetus!

I have (I think) four films to go in the Hitchcock: Masterpiece Collection and they have all been either very good or great. I'm not sure if it's because I was expecting the worst from some of the HD encodings, but even the picture quality on The Man Who Knew Too Much and Marnie are no worse than upscaled DVD – they're certainly not horrendous. As I don't own Torn Curtain or Topaz on DVD, it's good to have them in this collection.

When I've finished watching that, I'll either go straight onto the Alfred Hitchcock Collection (North by Northwest, Strangers on a Train and Dial M for Murder), the Robocop Trilogy or a marathon viewing of the A Nightmare on Elm Street 1-7 Blu-ray set. Decisions, decisions!
Old 21st December 2012, 12:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Good acting?

In Prometheus?

I hated it, by the way. My worst film of 2012 without doubt.
I thought Michael Fassbender gave one of the best performances in any film released in 2012 in Prometheus.

Was part of the reason you didn't like it because you watched it with high expectations and felt let down?
Old 21st December 2012, 12:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I thought Michael Fassbender gave one of the best performances in any film released in 2012 in Prometheus.

Was part of the reason you didn't like it because you watched it with high expectations and felt let down?
Fassbender was the bad of a bad bunch, for sure. He was operating on another level to the rest of the cast. But he was still a bit "ROBOT MORE HUMAN THAN HUMANS!!! OMGZors!!". It was a performance from the Big Book Of SciFi Tropes.

I had no expectations. I kind of hoped Ridley Scott would find the form he hasn't shown since 1992, but that was about it.

I didn't like it because it was boring, overlong, the plot was badly developed and stretched very thin, the acting was mostly rubbish, the idea was utterly stupid, it was hollow and empty...it was just a very bad film. I felt like I wasted a lot of time sitting through it.

Other than a few pretty looking scenes it had no redeeming qualities at all.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:29 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Fassbender was the bad of a bad bunch, for sure. He was operating on another level to the rest of the cast.

I had no expectations. I kind of hoped Ridley Scott would find the form he hasn't shown since 1992, but that was about it.

I didn't like it because it was boring, overlong, the plot was badly developed and stretched very thin, the acting was mostly rubbish, the idea was utterly stupid, it was hollow and empty...it was just a very bad film. I felt like I wasted a lot of time sitting through it.

Other than a few pretty looking scenes it had no redeeming qualities at all.
I thought it was extremely good of cinema and it improves with every subsequent viewing but, just as that's my opinion to which I'm entitled, that's your opinion of Prometheus.

It's strange how two people can watch the same film and have completely polarising opinions, but that's what makes talking about them so much fun.
Gojirosan and profondo rosso like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!