Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2012, 01:22 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I'd definitely vouch for 'Broken'. It's fairly gruelling and mean-spirited and feels like quite a black-hearted experience (which in my book is usually of interest).

As for 'The Devil's Chair', well, there are elements of interesting weirdness sandwiched between more tedious and / or irritating aspects. But it's worth a go, I almost liked it.
Agreed on both points. Broken is certainly my preferred choice regarding Mason's work.

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 21st December 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 21st December 2012, 01:30 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I shall put Broken on the wish list for the New Year. Cheers gents.
By which I mean I shall buy Broken and The Devil's Chair right now even though I haven't bought any Xmas presents for any of my family yet...

Old 21st December 2012, 05:50 PM
Cult Addict

doesent DEVILS CHAIR have matt berry in it? I keep meaning to watch it just for that.
Old 21st December 2012, 09:15 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Planes, Trains & Automobiles-3 favourites I should mention with regards to this classic comedy from the 80's, my favourite John Hughes film, my favourite Steve Martin film, and my favourite John Candy film.
For those unfamiliar with the story, it's about Neal Page (Martin) who is trying to get back to Chicago from New York in time for Thanksgiving but has no end of trouble once he meets up wil Del Griffiths (Candy) and as the title suggests has to travel by plane, train, bus and car to get home.
Cue plenty of hilarious scenes, such as the car rental F-word rant, the exploding car etc. Highly recommended for fans of 80's comedy
A fantastic film and one of my favourites also. I had the pleasure of seeing it on the big screen just this last month. Hilarious for the most part but I think Candy could have been a very good straight actor as well, his final scenes make me cry like a baby every time lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Rik likes this.
Old 21st December 2012, 10:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

CHOOSE - Pretty good thriller which takes aim from a kind of post-'Saw' angle. It mostly succeeds on its own terms, being well made and in places very atmospheric despite a sense of 'same old' kicking in around the halfway point. If it weighs in on the detective drama side of things at times, at least it carries a sinister and uncomfortable undertow beyond its derivative mid-way sag. Basically, a killer is doing the rounds and forcing some pretty heavy existential moves on his victims. The latter share connections to a juvenile facility where a disturbing and potentially abusive psychological 'therapy' rolled out. Will the sassy heroine uncover some dark truths about her own past? Not earth shattering, but certainly worth a watch.

THE WOMAN IN BLACK - Sinister pasts also haunt this turn of the century ghost story. It's well imagined, and builds a really strong atmosphere partly through the constant layering of decrepit period detail, although it falls down on the too obviously rendered jumps. Aside from the attempts at jump-scare which feature later in the film, there are some really disturbing scenes, not least the opener. Despite its setting, I thought it owed a lot to more contemporary Japanese supernatural horror. Good performances and production ensure this will linger in the memory for years to come.

RED TO KILL - Bonkers HK sleaze of really questionable taste. A social worker lands a job at a centre for learning disabled adolescents. There's a rapist "sex lupine" on the prowl in the same building. A schizophrenic concoction which veers moment to moment from tasteless schlock to cloying sentimentality to offensively misjudged humour to excruciating intensity. These variations in tone are partially levelled by the slick early nineties production, which in itself adds another level of bizarreness to the proceedings, with its stylised lighting and rock video cum 'Taboo' advert moments. The English subtitles are another matter. They're so strange they almost contain another film within themselves - "So, I've cut off your cock to go to make soup - this is the result!" A cod-Situationist back in the sixties would have a field day projecting these onto a blank screen with no visuals, which would be more entertaining than watching a screaming idiot girl slash her pubis with a razor in the aftermath of a brutal rape. Maybe a bad taste classic, although I waver at the 'classic' bit. Do I actually like watching this stuff? Apparently, yes.

Last edited by Frankie Teardrop; 21st December 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 21st December 2012, 10:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I also liked Choose. If you read the back cover it sounds to be a different film from what you get on the screen. Certainly worth a watch.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 21st December 2012, 10:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Iron Man 2 (2010) "I am Iron Man" Tony Stark's statement at the end of Iron Man not only brought him more celebrity status but also brought the Iron Man suit to the attention of the US Governement and the military who want the suit in order to manufacture more. Meanwhile in Russia, Ivan Vanko, the son of one of Howard Starks past partners creates a weapon based on arc technology to destroy Stark. Failing in his attempt he then joins with Justin Hammer a rival manufacturer of arms, and helps create a series of drones and uses a modified Iron Man suit to attack Stark at the Stark Expo. Even containing War Machine, Wiplash, Black Widow and Nick Fury, Iron Man 2 is not as good as the first movie, and tries to cram a lot into the two hours running time. The S.H.I.E.L.D organisation take on a bigger role in this movie in preparation for the forthcoming Avengers movie and although there is yet one more movie before we get to that one I think a S.H.I.E.L.D movie made first wouldn't have been such a bad idea.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 21st December 2012, 10:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
We have an entire forum dedicated to Prisoner:Cardboard Set H and threads about all kinds of crap, so I don't the problem with a bit of friendly sport chit chat
Now, now, Rik. Don't diss the 'H!
Rik likes this.
Old 21st December 2012, 11:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
Watched Prometheus the other night and thought it was fantastic! BD quality was fantastic (wish I had seen it on the Big Screen now) I have read mixed reviews about this and conversations about people being confused? All I can say is stick with the X-factor then if your confused by an intellectual plot, good acting, great effects and thought provoking ideas. Immediately after watching this I thought I could of sat and watched it again. Great film with some great gore moments. Anybody else pleasantly suprised by this or dissapointed?
You really missed out on seeing this one in cinemas. I am not very fond of 3D cinematography but the photography is very well constructed here. I don't really think the experience can be replicated with a 3D tv either. I enjoyed the film itself, it wasn't perfect but highly enjoyable and I look forward to revisiting it again.
profondo rosso likes this.
Old 22nd December 2012, 01:32 AM
Cult Master

download (3).jpg

download (2).jpg

download.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!