Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2013, 12:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
So did nobody else see Berberian Sound Studio as a Beckett-esque tragicomedy?
I saw it as a Polanski-esque descent into madness with a few moments of absurdist humor - I chuckled everytime Massimo & Massimo turned up
Old 21st January 2013, 12:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Recent viewings:

Smiley (2012) - Bloody Mary for the Chatroulette age. Candyman for the terminally braindead. A group of college kids become involved in the urban legend of Smiley; a killer who is summoned if you type "I did it for the lulz" 3 times to someone via video chat. I am not making this up. Needless to say it's abysmal. Plot hole upon plot hole combine with bad performances and dialogue to make a laughable attempt at a new slasher franchise with an absurd nonsensical ending.
For a film based off a video by a YouTube comedian, I'm not surprised either!

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 21st January 2013, 12:25 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
For a film based off a video by a YouTube comedian, I'm not surprised either!
Really? After watching it I found out one of the cast was famous for being a YouTube celebrity but didn't know the film was based on something he'd already done.
Old 21st January 2013, 12:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I saw it as a Polanski-esque descent into madness with a few moments of absurdist humor - I chuckled everytime Massimo & Massimo turned up
You know, I saw it about a week ago, and I haven't written anything here because I'm still wrapping my head around it.

I've read some fantastic theories here, and it reminds me a lot of Mulholland Drive, with the sudden change near the end, and the ending which leaves you sitting there expecting more.

Didn't help I had old farts behind me cracking jokes through out the ads and the opening. Shut them up nice and quickly though I did
Slippery Jack likes this.

Old 21st January 2013, 12:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Really? After watching it I found out one of the cast was famous for being a YouTube celebrity but didn't know the film was based on something he'd already done.
It was a fake trailer originally, like a parody, but it was so hugely popular they tried to make a full movie out of it.

And Machete and Hobo With A Shotgun it was not.

Old 21st January 2013, 12:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

I HAVE SEEN SO MANY GODDAMN MOVIE THIS CHRISTMAS!!
I actually gave up writing them all here. But I'll salvage what I remember.

Amazing Spider Man - Shits all over Raimis films. Garfield is the perfect spiderman, perfectly embodying the character he was in the comics. Recommended

Wreck It Ralph - Good god I loved this almost too much. Loved the references. The first couple of scenes were a bit slow, trying to cram as many references in as possible, while almost getting cringe-worthy, peaking with an extremely out of place Skrillex cameo. But things get a lot better once Ralph leaves his game, and it's great from there. Highly Recommended

Frankenweenie - I think a lot of people here would get a kick out of this, adaption of the live action short film, features great B&W stop motion, with a Vincent Price inspired science teacher, and a homage to the classic monster in the finale which was so excellent, homaging the likes of Gremlins, Godzilla, werewolves and all other crazy things. Typical Tim Burton fare, but Depp free, and a great film.

Who Dares Wins - You Brits can make an absolute cracker of a movie. Was quite unsure about this one at first, but thoroughly enjoyed it in the end.

The Birds - A fantastic Hitchcock film, slow to get going, then becomes absolutely terrifying. Would almost said this may have inspired the early Zombie movies a bit.

Killing Them Softly - Eeeerm. Gee. Look, if I could understand half the things they were saying, I probably would have enjoyed it more. Fantastic cinematography, and great performances, but really all over the place. Maybe give it a rent if the disc has subtitles.

Lady Snowblood - A great little Japanese film about revenge. Don't seem to remember much about this one, just that I enjoyed it.

Basket Case 2 - A good fun sequel, but the new style Belial felt a bit jarring at first, but quickly warmed to him. Loved the little friends in the home.

Puppet Master - Some good fun, but really didn't add up to much for me. Still good though, just felt like not a lot happened at all.

The Hobbit - Great film, with good fun scenes, great cast, and great writing. Typical Jackson fare, extremely enjoyable.

Zombie Holocaust - Watched this one today. Shriek Show blu was now where near as bad as it was made out to be. Fun little zombie cannibal film, felt almost like Fulcis Zombie, except with Cannibals instead. Love the bit with the dummy and the hospital window though.

Black Christmas - Holy shit on a stick. That was amazing!! Olivia Hussey really gives a shit house performance, but John Saxon makes up for it. A really, really chilling film, with some great bits in it, and a hair tearing ambiguous ending that you'll lose sleep over. Have to say, the sound effects sounded rerecorded, not sure if they were, but when Phil walks into the room with the dead girl, and the door slams shut, that was simply the single most pant shittingly terrifying sound I have ever heard. Like creaking, quiet screaming and glass smashing. If anyone has this, just stick this bit on and listen closely.

Splice - Good fun homage to old exploitation flicks and horror, with great cast and writing. If you liked Night Of The Creeps, you'll love this!

Well that's all I can think off for now. I've seen some great films recently!

Old 21st January 2013, 12:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Continuing on with the Super-hero theme of Spider-man, I followed it with the first two parts in Christopher Nolan's excellent Batman trilogy. Both outstanding films IMO.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 21st January 2013, 12:58 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Zombie Holocaust - Watched this one today. Shriek Show blu was now where near as bad as it was made out to be. Fun little zombie cannibal film, felt almost like Fulcis Zombie, except with Cannibals instead. Love the bit with the dummy and the hospital window though.
When I show the DVD to people who have no idea about these kind of films, that's the bit I ALWAYS point out to them!
fuzzymctiger likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st January 2013, 01:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
When I show the DVD to people who have no idea about these kind of films, that's the bit I ALWAYS point out to them!
I called my brother in from the complete other side of the house for that bit, he noticed it first time!
Susan Foreman likes this.

Old 21st January 2013, 01:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Recent viewings:

Berberian Sound Studio (2012) - a far more appreciative second viewing. A film about the sound of horror and the horror of sound. And much more. Has a dreamy Lynchian "is it or isn't it?" vibe which seems to be open to different interpretations without it seeming like a cop out. Excellent sound design too. I can't wait to watch it again with the commentary, not in hope of a concrete of an explanation but just to find out more about the film's production.

Django Unchained (2012) - an excellent, if at times frustrating, entry into Tarantino's filmography. Uncomfortable at times but also darkly witty with some excellent scenes of violence towards the end, it wears its influences on its sleeve but in a way which will won't annoy Tarantino aficionados (although I doubt it'll change the mind of his detractors much). The performances are uniformly excellent; the interaction between Jaime Fox and Christoph Waltz is fantastic, DiCaprio is magnificently evil and disgusting and Samuel L Jackson practically steals the show with his disturbing portrayal as a house slave. Some moments don't work (the jarring Jonah Hill comedy scene for one), Tarantino's "G'day mayte!" appearance is a shocker and it could have been leaner, tighter and 30 minutes shorter but overall I was very impressed.

Dead and Buried (1981) - feels like a Stephen King story done by John Carpenter. Or something. I really enjoyed this. That is all

Smiley (2012) - Bloody Mary for the Chatroulette age. Candyman for the terminally braindead. A group of college kids become involved in the urban legend of Smiley; a killer who is summoned if you type "I did it for the lulz" 3 times to someone via video chat. I am not making this up. Needless to say it's abysmal. Plot hole upon plot hole combine with bad performances and dialogue to make a laughable attempt at a new slasher franchise with an absurd nonsensical ending.
Dead & Burried is a favourite of mine! So weird and twisted and right up my alley. I'm going to see Django Unchaines a week on Thursday. I can't wait!!!!

Like this? Share it using the links below!